jersey_emt

CCW reform bill in NJ: Assembly Bill 1384

It's amazing to see that one of the co-sponsors of this bill is a Democrat! Hopefully he convinces some of his D friends to support it. We should really raise our voices and make ourselves heard here. I just wrote letters to my state legislators urging them to support this - hopefully others do the same!

Anyone else here from District 3? Senator Sweeney is, surprisingly, very pro-gun. I briefly talked with him at Colonial Diner right before he voted against the "one handgun a month" bill. If this thing goes to the Senate, I hope we have an ally in him.

Would removing the requirement to demonstrate a "justifiable need" make New Jersey a "shall-issue" state?

I suppose it would, but you needn't worry, it will never happen here.

Come on Chad!--That kind of attitude will get us nowhere! :p

Remember J.P. from Angels in the Outfield? "It could happen!"

The NRA has given up on this state, so have I. If you want to carry a gun, move to a free state.

You are absolutely right tho, that is a bad attitude to have lol. I just never get my hopes up about anything, it only leaves room for disappointment.

Has anyone called yet? Can we reserve a certain time slot?

I almost def can't make 3pm but I could get there by 5pm. I'm a little apprehensive about speaking but I think I could write up a nice little 5min speech on what 2a really means in NJ and why we should enact it. Not sure if they would take a 22 year old seriously though :roll:

Has anyone called yet? Can we reserve a certain time slot?

I almost def can't make 3pm but I could get there by 5pm. I'm a little apprehensive about speaking but I think I could write up a nice little 5min speech on what 2a really means in NJ and why we should enact it. Not sure if they would take a 22 year old seriously though :roll:

Go for it man! I wish I could be there, but I have class in Philly that night. I called Assemblywoman Oliver's office today and they encouraged me to let all my friends who felt the same way about AB 1384 know about the meeting next Tuesday, so I'm sure they are welcoming any type of input no matter how old/young you are! I've written to my Assemblymen and to Senator Sweeney as well...the more noise we make, the more they will have to listen.

We can do this - YES WE CAN! :hope:

This is what I sent to my reps. Will probably fall on deaf ears as usual, but IMHO if you remain silent you deserve the government you get.

--------

I have recently become aware of A1384 (presently in committee) which aims to make it possible for law abiding citizens to apply for a permit to carry concealed weapons (CCW).

Specifically, it aims to change the language in the existing CCW law that requires the applicant to justify to the court why they require the license. I see no need for such justification, and 30+ states in the union agree it is acceptable for me to carry concealed. I find it absolutely incredulous that my home state does not.

Do I suddenly become a psychopath once I cross an imaginary line in the dirt? Should I be treated by the courts like a rapist or murderer for merely possessing a firearm on my person and defending my right to life and liberty? The answer is a resounding NO. Guns don't cause crime -- people do. Trite, but true. The time has come for the NJ legislature to remember the purpose of government: to protect, rather than usurp, the freedom and rights of the people including the right to bear arms for self protection.

I should note that I am in full support of the provision to require NRA or other approved training prior to the issuance of the permit because guns, like cars, airplanes or other complex machinery, are in fact dangerous in untrained hands.

Please do your part to get A1384 to the floor and vote in support of it, for if it does not pass I will take myself, my business, and the tax revenue I generate to a state more friendly to its freedom-loving citizens.

Thanks for your time.

Although Michael Carroll does not represent me I sent him a short thank you and he responded within 15 minutes. Pretty amazing...someone in the legislature that actually responds to the people. Of course, neither of my reps have responded yet but I'll be reasonable and give them a day or two. After all, they're probably busy taking bribes somewhere.

As posted on Another thread Sen O'Tool's reply to my email.

Thank you for calling me regarding your support for bill A1384.

Regrettably, this bill did not receive a vote during the last

legislative session. Rest assured, as the new legislative session

begins, I will be working to pass common sense legislation that will

preserve the rights of law-abiding citizens to exercise their second

amendment rights.

As always, if you have any other questions or concerns please do

not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Kevin J. O'Toole

It's amazing to see that one of the co-sponsors of this bill is a Democrat! Hopefully he convinces some of his D friends to support it. We should really raise our voices and make ourselves heard here.

Did you go down to Trenton and bang on office doors of the Committee members and reps of your district?

When you do, email me and I will come with you.

Until then, keep dreaming. Dreams are good.

I applaud those who worked to get this bill to committee, but given that the committee chair is a hoplophobe, it will never see the light of day.

I wonder if these legislators have to sign a mental health consent form prior to running for office. And get fingerprinted as well... oh never mind on that one. I'm sure they invoke 5th amendment rights through some loophole. :lol:

I recently had some email back and forth with Assemblyman Carroll and he had some interesting things to say.

The funny thing was in response to informing him that I let all my representatives know that I want them support the bill, but have not heard back from any of them. He said they may reply to my ideas if I was to announce my candidacy. lol, I thought that was pretty sharp.

As for the hopeful message, the bill is still stalled. BUT it seems that everyone is waiting for the SCOTUS decision. As not to read into things too much I will post what he said here, short and sweet:

Perhaps if the SCOTUS rules our way, they would rather do it legislatively than have it done by a Court.

Time will tell.

I'm encouraged that they even know the SCOTUS has a 2A ruling up in the air, and that they may not wait for us to sue the state into the ground to change the rules.

I'll post any more information if I receive it, in the mean time KEEP WRITING TO YOUR REPS!