two part question:

1.)can one possess an AR15 in NJ?

2.)I'm down vacationing in Florida where these are pretty cheap. What is the procedure to an out of state (in person) purchase? Do I walk in to the store here, wait the three days, and take my gun home and do nothing? do I need to fill out paperwork back in NJ?

thanks in advance!

1. Yes - it just can't say AR-15 on it. It also cannot have a collapsible stock, bayonet lug, exposed threads on the barrel, or a flash hider. Also, no magazines that exceed 15 rounds.

2. Never bought an out of state gun in person, but if memory serves me, you would need to fill out 2 copies of the NJ Certificate of Eligibility form and have the dealer fill in the seller portions and you fill in the buyer portions. Dealer keeps one copy and you keep the other. I'm not familiar with Florida gun buying laws, so don't know the specifics of that end of it. Of course, the long gun would need to be legal in NJ if you're bring it back with you. Also, this only applies to long guns. Handguns must be transferred to a NJ FFL.

But, again, I've never actually done this, so some one else who has done it can probably answer with a bit more certainty.

+1 on what Pete said.

You have to fill out a form for NJ in addition to the normal paperwork.

Only long guns.

You still have to show your Firearms Purchaser ID card as this data will get entered on the NJ form.

A quick call to NICS and you're on your way if everything checks out. I don't believe there is a waiting period on Rifles.

It wouldn't surprise me if small dealers don't ask you for your NJ information but that's illegal as the purchases MUST adhere to the laws of both states.

Some dealers won't sell to out of state residents just because they don't want to deal with any problems but I don't think that's a State law. Everything is subject to change of course. Why not just talk to the gun shop? They'll let you know pretty quick. If it's really cheap, it might be cheap enough to have it sent to NJ and pick it up there IF they won't sell it to you.

Yes, you can buy long gun, show your NJ firearm ID card and DL with the same address, fill the yellow federal form + nick and you are done. That's what I did when I bought my Mini 14 from Long Island in 1991 (they where hard to get in Jersey), I took the rifle home. To be on the safe side ask the dealer.