DirtyDigz

Getting excited about my first AR build.

Back from the inaugural firing at the bullet hole.

:D

Holy crap, that was fun. Worked flawlessly through about 250 rounds of PMC. No failures of any kind. The gas block does get HOT with sustained steady fire though, and I found myself having to stop shooting, set the rifle down and step back out of the port in between magazines to get a full deep breath - seems like a gas cloud was just hovering over my head.

I was very nervous on the first shot though. Although I had function checked all the upper and lower components multiple times it is still a tense moment of truth when pulling the trigger on a live round the first time.

So I took the MDTS combative carbine course weekend before last and came away with some questions on my front sight/gas block positioning, windage adjustment, etc.

Chronologically:

- assembled rifle, took it to the bullet hole for first firing, sighted in Eotech based on the paper hits at ~20 yards, did not use irons.

- went to the MDTS course, Chris advised taking the course using irons so that's what I did. I took advantage of his offer to sight in rifle at the beginning of the course (apologies, I was one of "those guys" that took up valuable course time with sighting in) using their 50 meter carbine zero target.

- first string of 3 shots using irons was so far left of of the circles that it was barely on the target board. Many, many windage clicks on the rear troy sight later, I was getting close to the lower small circle aiming at the big circle so we called it close enough for the course. Used the irons strictly for the rest of the course and they were good enough to get me in the boxes for the majority of the exercises, although most were at close ranges (I'd say under 20 yards).

- here's how my rear sight windage adjustment came out after all the adjusting:

rear_sight_windage.jpg

Is that a lot? Too much? I'm wondering if the position I have for the gas block (adams arms piston gas block) which is ideal for the piston is way off of center for the front sight...

- tonight I decided to play with a bore sighter I got. I painted a reflective surface ~ 30 yards away with the laser, then adjusted the Eotech so the center of the Eotech crosshair was dead on the laser spot.

- After "zeroing" the Eotech, I flipped up the irons to see how they co-witnessed and get this:

bore-sighted_eotech_vs_irons.jpg

Obviously the Eotech is out to the right of the front sight post, and I'm guessing if I were to adjust the windage on the rear sight to get the Eotech co-witnessing horizontally with the front sight post I'd be even farther out to the right on the windage adjustment.

Is it time for me to be looking at re-positioning my front gas block, or is this just par for the course with AR irons?

That's fine with how the iron sights turned out. The peep on my BUIS is lined all the way to the left (as far as it goes). If your irons are on, just line up your EOTech with those and it should be fine. I've noticed that bore lasers never give a good zero (but do function in bringing everything to the right vicinity).

A bore laser is good to get you on paper, but you still need to go out to the range and verify the zero. Like BBK said (and Chris mentioned this in the class as well if I remember correctly), typically, if your irons are zeroed correctly, you can then line up the dot with the irons and you should end up with the same zero on both. So, until you actually see how it's shooting at the range, prob best to leave it alone before you drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out :)

And if you can make it up to Cherry Ridge for one of the 2nd Sunday meets, you can shoot it out to 50 and 100yds and really get your zero dialed in.

Thanks for the comments bbk and Caine, I'll leave it all alone until the next time I can actually shoot it.

Be careful of these 2, they are lock-step with each other and like to see who has the better AR.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Thanks for the comments bbk and Caine, I'll leave it all alone until the next time I can actually shoot it.

Be careful of these 2, they are lock-step with each other and like to see who has the better AR.

:twisted: :evil: :twisted:

Haha. Caine, hands down, has the better ARs (yes, both) since he's the one with the job! Now, who can shoot better is up for debate :p