Sign in to follow this  
Shane45

Can someone give me the skinny on Utah CCW

I live here in Jersey and work in PA. I was going to get a PA CCW but some friends out there said they were starting to deny Jersey applicants since our state technically is a state that issues CCW. I spotted here the classes for Utah CCW. From what I can tell PA honors Utah CCW. Do they still honor it if the CCW is non resident? I travel out to some pretty shitty areas in PA with hundreds of thousands of dollars in equipment. Id feel alittle more comfortable kicking the bums off the doorstep so I can get in the building at 3 am with more than my emerson in my pocket :D

As a New Jersey resident you can obtain CCW permits easily from UT, FL and VA. Any of these will allow you to carry concealed in PA.

For FL and VA you need a nationally recognized certificate of firearms competency. Usually the minimum level is the NRA "first Steps pistol". Several people offer this, including our sponsor vendors (whom you can find on the forum index page). For UT you need to be trained specifically by an instructor who was him/herself trained and certified in Utah. Again, our sponsor vendors and others offer this training.

While you can do FL and VA by yourself I'd thoroughly advise against it because there are sone non-obvious idiosyncracies. Find someone who offers the whole package - forms, training, prints, photos and notary, and do it there. The extra $$ it will cost is well worth the trouble it will save you.

Also, once you have the permits, think carefully about choice of firearm, ammo and holster and whether you want to hone skills necesary to carry successfully and safely. Many people say that shooting IDPA or similar is very helpful. The NRA "Personal Protection Outside the Home" course is also very useful and again, many people will offer that.

Don't underestimate the legal side of this and consider insurance against criminal and civil action should you ever have to defend yourself with lethal force.

Good luck and have fun!!

Best

G

Usually the minimum level is the NRA "first Steps pistol".

Florida and Virginia accept NJ's hunter safety course to meet the training requirement. The course is FREE and offered fairly frequently from March through November. I did it at Cherry Ridge on a Sunday morning there are plenty of other locations. It took about 4 hours on-site and a few hours of prep beforehand. I hold both Florida and Virginia CCW and used my NJ hunter safety card to meet the training requirement.