JonF

An Advantage Arms Glock .22lr kit just showed up at my house

I think i ordered one of these a few months or years ago and totally forgot about it. I guess my number was finally pulled... lucky me! Anyways, due to the damn near impossible nature to find these, i'm doubting anyone else has one to comment on but damn are they picky with ammo. I don't understand why either. The manufacturer includes a crib sheet on which ammo works and which doesn't (the bad list is longer than the good list unfortunately) and it just so happens that that 5000 rds of federal i have for my ruger is on the avoid list. Great. :roll: The accepetable ammo list is bizarre as it includes the bottom of the barrel Reminton ammo and top of the line CCI mini mags, green tag and the like. Where's the midrange? Its either Remington "Surprise! 1 out of 10 is a special squib load" golden bullets or CCI "Rimfire for the price of centerfire" target loads. Can you even find golden bullets at Dick's these days? Is AA in bed with Remington?

I tried it out with a variety of federal i had lying around (745 loose bulk and 510 boxed bulk) and sure enough it didn't like any of it. Every single round failed to extract and then jammed the next round into the back of the spent one. I then put a box of some odd remington game loads i had sitting around and it worked 100%. I just don't understand how one brand can experience 100% failures but another is as fine as silk?

Now perhaps it just needs to run in a bit as that was the first ammo it ever shot so maybe it will get better over time. i dunno. Generally if im that frustrated with something off the bat, it goes for sale immediately but since this took so long to get, i'll entertain it a bit longer (so don't pm me with solicitations!) :p

Anyone else have better luck with these things?

I have one for my Glock 19. Mine def prefers the high velocity stuff as do most autos of this nature. Standard Velocity CCIs wouldn't cycle the slide every so often, but sometimes they would. I ran a bunch of high velocity Centurion thru it and it ran much better. Prob 1000 rounds give or take with maybe a handful of FTEs. On occassion, the slide won't lock back on the last round.. but it's kind of random.

That said, my last couple of times out with the kit, I've started to get a LOT of double feeds. I'll get one mag thru fine, then the next 3 mags every round or other round won't extract or a bad double feed. I've had a couple occasions where the round got jammed in such a way that "lock the slide, rip out the mag, rack rack rack" wouldn't clear it. I had to use a knife to get a stuck case out on a couple occasions. Truthfully, I'm not even sure what the problem is. I'm using the same rounds that worked fine before. I cleaned the crap out of it before the last time I took it to the range, and still had issues, so I'm thinking maybe it's the magazines.

It's a great kit, but I dunno... Starting to get fed up with it. I may buy another mag and see if I still run into the same problems.

I only use plated ammo in my 1911 AA kit, the wax from lead bullets tend to mess things up real quick along with the lead itself.

1: the ammo i have had good luck with is federal gameshock 40gr copper plated # 810 good stuff.

i know federal is on the list but this ammo is too good not to use.

2: recently federal 525 bulk pack 36 gr plated by suprise this ammo worked good out of about 800 rnds fired so far 2 fte's..

3: cci mini mags plated.

4: winchester super x super speed rn 40 gr plated.

winchester dynapoints sucked, not enough velocity, ejected but would not pick up next round, slide would not go back far enough to pick it up out of the mag.

They also like to be well lubed, i use gsg2 100% silicone oil on mine.. it is for airsoft pistols..

Bought one for my wife's G34. Use CCI minimags and no problems at all in about 500 rds. Going to try Golden Bullets to keep the cost down.

I think one of the posters hit it on the nose, use plated vs wax coated rounds and must be HV.

$.055 a round is better than a dime for 9mm but if anybody stumbles on a reliable cheap ammo please post.

Of the stuff i tried, the individually boxed federal 510 was the worst. This is not copper plated but not sure if its all that waxy either. Not once did a single round of this cooperate. Next was Federal 745 which is a 525 rd loose bulk pack. i'd get 2-3 shots out before a FTE/double feed. This is plated but quite waxy. Last was the Rem game loads which were plated HP's but not waxy. This was just some oddball box i had lying around for a long time that i thought i'd dispense with that day and it ran flawless.

I remembered that i have some of that centurion stuff. i'll give that a try. It has a weird smell if i recall... like the russian steel case stuff. very sulpherous and peppery. lol

These things sure are quirky though and hopefully there is some rhyme and reason for selecting ammo like you guys suggest. I can't imagine why there would be such a demand for these if they're this crappy. I've used Buckmark's, Rugers, Neos's, 10/22's and even a P22 but none were this picky. If this doesn't improve, i'll put it on gunbroker (and probably make money on it), and put my name on the list for the Tactical Solutions kit.

When I first got mine, I thought it was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Worked great. Then the problems started and it's just been a constant headache. Haven't given up on it yet, and I doubt I'll sell it (I never sell anything gun related), but it may end up in the "I'll probably never touch this again" box in the corner of the basement.

Well I guess I got lucky, as mine (several years old) for a glock 19/23 works great with Walmart Federal bulk pack 22. My only suggestion for those with problems is to try some different ammo and see what works for yours, even if it is not on the list that comes with the upper.

I took the AA kit back out and tried some MiniMags and the reliability is better, but still jams (FTE) about 1/mag. I took some vids that day shooting various guns to watch my shooting form and decided to put a vid together of the AA kit to document the issues. 1 jam every few mags would be ok, but 1 or more every mag is lame. I picked up some golden bullets to try next time. The pickyness has to be related to thier extractor design as the only issue with these is a FTE. I wonder if it can be massaged to improve the extraction ability on all ammo.

j90UmHI9DOU

That's basically what mine does too... 'cept more often than not, when the round fails to extract, another round tries to chamber and gets stuck between the rear of the stuck case and the extractor/firing pin area.

Haven't had a chance to try out some different ammo to see if it still happens.

Yesterday i took the AA kit out for some more testing. My friend gave me a box of Blazer LRN 22 and i also bought a box of Golden Bullets to try. Contrary to AA's advise, the Blazer operated 100%. I'll be on the lookout for a case of this stuff as i've used it before in all my other .22's without issue as well. The Golden bullets worked 99% too which is acceptable. I shot the entire brick of 525 that day to torture test it. Between my buddy and i, we had a total of 7 AA mags and he was reloading them as fast as he could while i just repeatedly ragged out a large shoot-n-see in a semi-rapid fire fashion. There were a few issues with the GB's but only few FTE's out of the whole brick with a dud here and there that wouldn't fire on a second strike. One annoying thing about the GB's is they leave little golden specs everywhere. After housing the whole brick, it looked like i had spilled gold glitter all over my hands and gun. Real dirty stuff. I liked the Blazer much better.