Scottcba1

Streamlight TLR-3...opinions

So I'm thinking of picking up a Streamlight TLR-3 for use on both my G22 & SR9. I have found a few deals on for less the $80 new shipped and I want to get some opinions before purchasing. Any info, pro's & con's about this light? Fitment problems? Anything is greatly appreciated.

-Scott

While I don't have one of those, I'll just add my uninformed opinion. Any light on any gun is a great idea for a bump in the night gun and the spendy ones work and aren't blown apart by the recoil.

I agree, a good quality light is what I want for my HD/SD gun. I just dont want to spend a ton, especially on something that isnt worth it.

-Scott

I've got a TLR-1 on my G19... thing is solid and works well. Steamlight is pretty good when it comes to quality.

Awesome! Thats what I was hoping to hear. It mounts well on most rails? Isnt hard to adjust or tighten?

-Scott

It has a rail adaptor thingy... basically a little plug, so you can mount on 1913, glock, and one other rail type. Takes a second to switch out, and you can take off/put on securely using fingers and then a quarter to tighten up.

I have a few TLR-1s. Very good light. TLR-3 is just a slightly smaller in size and a few less lumens. Controls are simple to use especially if you're a thumbs forward shooter. Mounting is also relatively simple.

That said, I hate to bring this up again :deadhorse: but, don't forget that some G22's have issues when lights are mounted. So, thoroughly test it out at the range :)

I don't mean to threadjack, but I just wanted to throw this question in real quick. How do you think the TLR-3 or TLR-1 would hold up to .223 recoil? I know .223 recoil is next to nothing (try firing it off your forehead if you get the chance, you'll see what I mean), but I've always heard/read mixed things about putting TLR's on ARs.

Most LED lights should hold up fine on an AR, and even AKs. I've even seen a few TLRs mounted to shotguns. But, to answer your question specifically, I run TRL-1s on both of my ARs, and at least one of them has been thru an MDTS class, and held up fine.

The biggest complaint I've see from most people on the TRLs is the battery compartment. It's not quick change friendly. The screw to tighten the unit down on the rail is also somewhat of a pain to deal with at times, and even tho it's designed to be thumb tightened, I find that I need a coin or a some other flat edge to loosen it once it's been mounted. That, and some people prefer the activation method on the Surefire X series of lights. Do you have any links to where people complain about them on ARs?

It's not a perfect light, but, when you factor in lumens, build quality, and price, it generally comes ahead in my book. Keep in mind, I'm a surefire whore, and almost always recommend surefire over everything else, but, the TRL-1s are just hard to beat when you consider you can buy at least 2 of them for the price of one X series surefire.