Sign in to follow this  
bbk

Quick Summary of Magpul's AFG

I'm going to present a quick summary of one of Magpul's latest "theory-based products" the AFG (Angled Fore Grip). What is out currently is actually now known as the AFG-1, as the AFG-2 will be released some time later this year (no information on the changes). The official link can be found here: http://store.magpul.com/product/64/88

This is something I've been meaning to do for awhile, just kept forgetting about it, so this may be old news to some people already. Also, I do not have any pictures included because my camera stopped functioning a couple weeks ago.

The AR I tested it on was a Smith and Wesson M&P15 ORC with DD Omega 7.0 rail system. On the rail system was a DD offset light mount, and I switched between using a Millet DMS-1 variable power scope and EOTech 517. For further reference, I was also using the default NJ complaint pinned stock the rifle came with (pinned at the max LOP).

The first thing I have to say about the AFG is that the feel of the grip will always boil down to the operator. That's the reason why I would rather refer this to a summary, and not a review. Everybody has different methods of holding and operating their AR system, and it wouldn't be fair to say my experiences (or anybody else) dictate how "it should be done."

The AFG itself is actually quite easy to install. The mounting hardware really consists of one screw, and is as easy as sliding the AFG on to the lower rail and fastening it into place. The AFG also comes with two different "grip" options, the default pistol grip finger groove and a flat piece that could be swapped out. The swapping involves two screws, and about 5 seconds of installation otherwise. I personally preferred the finger groove as I felt I was getting a far better grip on the material. I placed the AFG so that the front area was lined up underneath the railed gas-block. I did this to achieve a better posture, which, admittedly, felt very, very natural.

What I liked about the AFG is that the grip, as stated above, felt very natural. To go from a ready position to a firing position didn't involve any hand-banging, but a very fluid movement. I also liked that transitioning to your weak-side shoulder, and then back, also felt very fluid as well. As for the design, I loved the stream-line look, as well as its efficiency. I could fire from a supported position (using sandbags, or in my case, a range bag) without the distraction of the normal VFG. Also, when slung (in my case only using a single-point), the AFG wouldn't get tangled in anything else. This is not much of a major point, and more of a convenience, but I find it pertinent. In a high stress situation HD situation, or even in a tactical carbine class, the more that sticks off your rifle makes it that much more susceptible to getting caught up in stuff, and preventing you from operating the rifle.

The negatives for me, and really only one-- though the most glaring, was the lack of rearward pressure that I could apply with my support hand. Everyone shoots differently, as I said, but one of the basic fundamentals is that the support hand applies the rearward pressure, allowing the trigger hand to, loosely, apply pressure to the trigger. This prevents the trigger finger from shaking, and being able to consistently squeeze the trigger (basic marksmanship). While the grip felt very natural, the degree of angle on the grip itself prevented me from being able to apply consistent rearward pressure. This is something that I discussed with Caine actually, and we both agreed that this was the major issue. (Regarding the degree of the angle, think pushing against a 90 degree wall, and then pushing against a 45 degree wall.)

As I've said before, my positives and negatives can be totally different for another shooter, but I figured I'd share a growing consensus with the pros and cons of what I think is a great start. I have switched back to my stubby VFG since, but for $35 I don't regret giving the AFG a go. I'll also be looking forward to how the AFG-2 pans out later this year.

To add: A great youtube video that shows the Magpul AFG in action (for reference):