Guest Damagedworld

Laws against owning a SBR upper?

just curious.. laws regarding OWNING but never attaching to your AR a SBR upper.. an upper is not a firearm... is it controlled in any way, and or treated differently than any other AR upper.. ?

just curious.. laws regarding OWNING but never attaching to your AR a SBR upper.. an upper is not a firearm... is it controlled in any way, and or treated differently than any other AR upper.. ?

As long as you dont own ANY lower capable of accepting it..sure.. However possession of the SBR upper and a lower can be construed as Constructive Intent and land you in FYITAP

I've been curious about this too. Would it be 'OK' to order a 14.5'' upper (technically an NFA item), but send it direct to a place like ADCO to have a muzzle device permanently attached? (To make it over 16'', non-NFA) Or would the original seller (say Bravo Company USA) not sell me the upper without the stamp? Or should I just contact BCM...? Ha. It hasn't been a priority which is why I haven't contacted the company yet.

jumping into the deep end. but i believe buying a 14.5 upper by itself isn't NFA item, it is when the upper is attached to a lower that it becomes an SBR so as long as your ordering it individually you should be fine. BTW let me know how this works out i think the 14.5 pinned to 16" looks wayyyy better than the standard 16"

I want an SBR so bad, and once I move to a state that allows it-- I'll be filling out the paperwork as soon as I confirm my residency.

But I've been intrigued about this dilemma because I'm considering a light weight AR build. I also do agree that it looks far better.

No reason to own a less than 16" barrel in the Peoples Republic of New Jersian period. Whats the point? It would be one thing if you had an AR pistol but thats next to impossible in NJ due to weight.

Yes, you can have a barrel drop shipped to adco for perm comp install.

I've been curious about this too. Would it be 'OK' to order a 14.5'' upper (technically an NFA item), but send it direct to a place like ADCO to have a muzzle device permanently attached? (To make it over 16'', non-NFA) Or would the original seller (say Bravo Company USA) not sell me the upper without the stamp? Or should I just contact BCM...? Ha. It hasn't been a priority which is why I haven't contacted the company yet.

I'm 95% sure you can. ADCO is an FFL, so it's not like you're sending the upper to your hourse.

I'm 95% sure you can. ADCO is an FFL, so it's not like you're sending the upper to your hourse.

Yes, you can do this.

jumping into the deep end. but i believe buying a 14.5 upper by itself isn't NFA item, it is when the upper is attached to a lower that it becomes an SBR so as long as your ordering it individually you should be fine. BTW let me know how this works out i think the 14.5 pinned to 16" looks wayyyy better than the standard 16"

It's not even a firearm (federally speaking). I had an 11.5" upper shipped to my house and I am not FFL. Then again, I don't live in NJ.

I called NJSP once to ask about 11.5" uppers. Talked to their firearms expert. I wanted to bring an upper into NJ on my way to an office so on the way back I could drop it off to a guy in PA. I was told, "NO!" I think the guy was displeased I even own an 11.5" upper in another state. Then again, cops are normally a poor source of information regarding firearms laws (present company excluded).

I have some good news. For all you guys desperate for the forbidden SBR fruit. I'm coming around to 16" uppers. I've been shooting a lot of other guys' 16-inchers lately and decided the difference from 14.5 is rather minor for me. 11.5" is nice but they are very very loud. Which is good most of the time! :) Not so good for everyday purposes.

Yea, I actually talked to my buddy (who lives in a free state) about this a little earlier. He has two SBR uppers in his household right now. He also has ordered the corresponding lowers, but he is having his FFL hold on to them [and waiting to pay for them] once he receives his stamps. He also doesn't have any AR's in his household right now.

As for what I was discussing earlier, I decided to go through with the process, and ordered a 14.5'' BCM upper. I'm having it sent directly to ADCO to have a muzzle device pinned and bayo lug removed. I'm going to switch out my DD Omega on to that upper, and put the Magpul MOE handguards that I got awhile back on my current upper. I don't know if I'm going to stick with just one lower and two uppers, or maybe get another lower down the road (already have a Sully stock on the lower, which mediates my need for a lightweight/CQB-HD purpose). If I did, I might just put an A2 stock on the MP15, and move the Sully on to whichever lower I would be getting.

I'll keep y'all posted.

I want an SBR so bad, and once I move to a state that allows it

You still have the issues with the federal NFA laws and would require a tax stamp for the firearm. However there are lowers that come registered as a pistol lower that have some restrictions. A Form 1 is required http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf and the cost of the stamp is $200. the stamp must be received prior to the firearm being completed.

The cost is not worth it and they are loud and not that accurate. Even the reliability is questionable as they tend to give more problems to the gas system then the full sized. I have an upper with a 14.5" barrel and the difference to a 16 is slim to none.

I want an SBR so bad, and once I move to a state that allows it

You still have the issues with the federal NFA laws and would require a tax stamp for the firearm. However there are lowers that come registered as a pistol lower that have some restrictions. A Form 1 is required http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf and the cost of the stamp is $200. the stamp must be received prior to the firearm being completed.

I just want to clarify. Form 1 is to make an NFA item such as SBR, suppressor, etc. You do not need a Form 1 or a tax stamp to put an SBR barrel on a pistol lower. I think that's what you were saying but I found it confusing.

The cost is not worth it and they are loud and not that accurate. Even the reliability is questionable as they tend to give more problems to the gas system then the full sized.

SBRs are no less accurate than 24" barrels. Barrel length does not determine accuracy. However, if you are using irons, the site radius will be less. In that case your accuracy may suffer past 300 yards based on your skill level. And, of course, higher velocity (with same bullet) can be helpful in shooting at long range. SBRs are not intended for either of these situations.

I have an upper with a 14.5" barrel and the difference to a 16 is slim to none.

Agreed. Something I've only come around to in the past year. I'm really starting to like 16" bbl. The advantages of lower noise and being allowed to put on non-SBR/MG lowers outweighs 1.5 inches IMHO.

You do not need a Form 1 or a tax stamp to put an SBR barrel on a pistol lower

That is correct but I don't think that was the original intent. While locked down they probably would be close at limited ranges. But you are going to lose velocity. I shoot 300 yards and further so a 11 inch barrel is going to be limited.

Sig regularly brings their LE rifles to the club and three hundred yards is a stretch. Their 552 was fun but not a long range fireare by any means.