Sign in to follow this  
Scrap

NJ AR's?

Could anyone please show me a few examples of NJ compliant AR'S ? I'd like to do some Google research before shopping but can't seem to find any models listed that are NJ legal? Also where could I look at them if I wasn't ordering one online? Thanks@!

go visit any nj gun shop, they will have them on display. also, look in the picture thread in the rifle section, plenty of awesome looking ar's there.

main key is... has to be a fixed stock, and no muzzle flash hiders.

Most every company that sells ARs has NJ compliant models:

Colt: The Match Target models (http://www.coltsmfg.com/products-c6-q9- ... fles.aspx#)

Bushmaster: I want to say their post-ban model is compliant (http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_ ... 14M4IZ.asp)

Stag: Popular with a lot of people on this forum. Many of the shops/vendors can get NJ compliant Stag models-- just ask them specifically.

DPMS: http://www.dpmsinc.com/

Smith and Wesson: The MP15 ORC is a popular model too on the forums (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y)

Honestly, as long as the AR model itself is not listed on the NJ Ban List (which is floating around here, just do a search for it), you can get probably any configuration NJ compliant. Whether the gunsmithing is done at the factory or off site, its a simply matter of making the AR NJ compliant. Like Maks said, just get in contact with the local shops and/or vendors, and they can give you a better idea.

More importantly, you should just research what brand/type you would want, and the market price. Some ARs are more equal then others ( :twisted: ), regarding production value that is... so, the question then really is which AR system is preferred by the masses? Not to prescribe to "group think" you need to figure out for yourself... but go through the threads in the AR section to get a feel for things if you wish: viewforum.php?f=46

THanks for all the help, any and all is appreciated...

It seems Lawmen Supply is the only place to go get one/look at one, and the thing is it's like 1.5 hours easy... so it seems like a big drive/gas expense to drive down just to get initial info ... drive back ... go down a second time to narrow it down select a few options etc... maybe third time to buy?

and when you call maybe it's cause I'm noob, maybe cause they just don't care, they don't seem real interested in providing help/info...

so I was thinking about looking online. thanks for the help.

It seems Lawmen Supply is the only place to go get one/look at one, and the thing is it's like 1.5 hours easy... so it seems like a big drive/gas expense to drive down just to get initial info ... drive back ... go down a second time to narrow it down select a few options etc... maybe third time to buy?

and when you call maybe it's cause I'm noob, maybe cause they just don't care, they don't seem real interested in providing help/info...

What area are you in? Last time I checked Ramsey Outdoor Store had a few in stock in Ramsey on Rt 17. Call them first though I was there a few months ago.

dont go to lawmens especially if you are not really sure about what you are doing... my experience has been terrible there.. i walked in one day with roughly $2000 cash in my pocket and asked them if they could order me a AR in 308, the answer was something like "yeah i guess.." i have NEVER been met with such lack of interest when attempting to buy such an expensive item...

butchs gun world in vineland is great..

we can probably answer a TON of questions here though before you even need to start handling guns..

what is the rifle for?

how far do you plan to shoot?

are you going to mount optics or shoot with iron sites?

are you prepared to pay a LOT for ammo?

is this your first firearm?

any accessories that matter to you (bipod, certain style stock, etc..)?

a LOT of firearms stuff is just personal preference, and then other aspects are pretty straight forward.. really just depends on what you need, and not getting caught up in the whole cool factor of it..

when you are actually ready to buy there are vendors on this site who normally are great in regards to making sure you get what you want...

i started to really deal with paul at arms and ammo exclusively for my firearms stuff.. hes a really nice guy, gets stuff in a timely manor, and has good fair prices... i would not hesitate to suggest him to anyone..

ThaNKS again...

I don't want to break any rules or piss anyone off... BUT...

Please private message me if you are indeed a vendor/etc. / in the business/ and want to do a deal.. if you want a sale PM me and we will talk. I want to buy one, so whoever can help me get the best deal gets my money :)

to answer the list of questions:

1- ) The rifle is for, A} satisfying the urge and longtime/lifetime desire to have one, B} target/range shooting C} personal protection/ home defense / SHTF situation ... Will probably spend a lot of time not being used (properly cleaned and lubed though, and that does NOT mean I want sacrifice on the purchase.. I read a lot that if I don't buy a Colt i'll always be mad that I didn't.... is that true?)

2- ) Don't plan to shoot too far regularly AT FIRST, but certainly would like to learn and practice further and farther... And would like the ABILITY to shoot far... not necessarily Carlos Hathcock of course..

3- ) Definitely mount optics .. EVENTUALLY... Would love an ACOG but lots of money... would ideally like iron sights as a backup to optics... would take experts advice and opinions on what to do what to buy etc.

4- ) I know .223 is a lot for ammo... I wouldn't use the AR a whole lot, occasional fun, practice, and would have a decent stash for a SHTF situation. Again, I believe in the old Polish saying, in regards to many things including an AR... "Better to have and not need than need and not have"

5- ) Definitely not my first firearm but first AR... Have a couple of different things, from .22 to .40 and from 6" to 40" lol , certainly no expert... I am an expert at asking the experts as I have no pride but a sincere desire to gain wisdom and knoweldge from those that have it to offer me.

6- ) Bipod don't think necessary... Look I like so far is a Colt Match Target 6400C M4 ... which I was also told is NJ Legal... I like the idea of the verticle "handle sticking down from the front ( like a pistol grip w/o the pistol ) but not a deal breaker/maker.. I just like it I think... A sling would be nice .. maybe camo? a decent case too? Other accessories, what would I want and need?

Thanks thanks thanks a million!!

You can use the price request, as that will be the best way to communicate with the vendors, there is no guarantee they will read your post... esp with 200 posts a day, and 2 new members registering each and every day.

http://njgunforums.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=11

I'm not an expert, but I think I've been around AR platforms and used them in different means to answer some questions.

Would you regret it if you bought something other then a Colt? No. There are plenty of well made ARs out there that there is no need to pigeon hole yourself into group think ideas. Colt definitely puts out finely machined ARs, and if you can get one for a decent price-- I do not think it would be a bad choice. Instead of listing ARs by how great they are-- try to figure out the ones you should avoid. And, even better, figure out what aspects of the AR you want and which ones are not deal breakers (IE: 1x7 vs. 1x9, M4 feed ramps, hammer forged, etc).

If you're not entirely familiar with the AR, maybe you can find someone who has some experience with the system to show you the ropes. Or you can take an instructed course-- plenty of those for the AR.

As for optics, it'll probably come down to preference. I personally have a holographic weapon system (EOTech 517) and a variable power scope (1-4x). One is because I'm used to it (the 517), the other is for SHTF (1-4x scope doesn't need batteries!). ACOGs are absolutely awesome, but do cost a pretty penny. If you can afford an ACOG, by all means get one-- I'm saving up for one myself. As for backup irons (BUIS), its a world in itself. There are fixed backup irons and folding back up irons... the big companies such as Troy Industries, YHM, GG&G provide products in both. I personally run a Magpul MBUS for my rear backup irons.

.223 ammo really isn't all that expensive. If you are going to spend the money on the rifle, might as well spend the money on the ammo as well. That's not to say you need to drop $500 tomorrow for all of the ammo at once-- as you're already familiar with since you have other calibers.

As for other AR accessories, like a VFG (vertical front grip), sling, transport case, etc... chances are you will continually evolve what you put on your AR. I've taken my AR to the range 10+ times, and each time there has been probably some type of change from the last iteration.

But to answer your question:

I wouldn't say a VFG is necessary. VFGs were created for the M4 platform for the military because of the wealth of stuff they would put on their weapon systems (optics, irons, PEQ-2, lights). Since there was so much stuff on the rifles, there was nowhere to grip conventionally. Because of this, the VFG was created. These days everyone has one regardless for whatever reason. For some its tacti-cool, for others it has some use. I run a VFG, but use it as a thumb-break (so my hand lands in the same grip every time).

As for slings-- yes, get one! Its like having a holster for a pistol. The type of sling is preference... some prefer the conventional two-point slings, others prefer three-point or one-point. If you're not familiar with how they feel exactly, try to figure out your application-- and figure out what type of sling would best suit that.

Cases... eh, there's thousands of different iterations that all do the same thing.

PM me if you want considering how long I just made this post in response, haha.

I talked about backup iron sights, but I failed to mention that I think they are a necessity.

These days, most AR variations that are available are flat-top/optic ready versions. Some models have the NJ-complaint conventional front sight base (NJ-compliant in that the bayonet lug is removed), and only a rear backup sight is needed. Other models are complete flat-tops, needing both a front and rear BUIS.

Too often do I see people with decent optics, but no BUIS. While I won't criticize people for that, I think it is digressive in application. If a person runs a scoped optic, its somewhat understandable not to have any BUIS considering the scope will function regardless. But if a person is running a red dot-type scope (Aimpoint, EOTech, C More, etc) with no BUIS, I think that's where I kind of shake my head. Chances are the sights will continue to function for the allotted amount of time that they are needed. However, if a person is in a crisis situation, and their battery-powered sights fail, at least they will have their BUIS ready to go. You said you were considering using an AR for SHTF situation (like a lot of us here, haha), so I would definitely recommend BUIS regardless if you have a scoped optic or red dot-type. Becoming proficient is another matter, and that just takes time.

I'm new to ar's as well. I'd say my only regret is that I did not research enough before purchasing. If you purchase an ar that has a front iron sight you will need to cut off the permanantly attached muzzle break to get it off if you want a front flip up. Then you have to silver solder or weld the break back on. If you want front flip up sights get a flat top. Just my :twocents-twocents: .