Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

The flags of People who want to become Citizens ???

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

And I agree. +1 TR.

ETA: One of the things that annoy me greatly is when people say that the US is now a tossed salad versus a melting pot. TR called it almost 100 years ago now (the above snippet is from a speech made in 1915). While I have no issues with people having a cultural identity, people must have their roots in this nation.

It's only going to get worse with the feel good attitude that is going around

I know a lot of naturalized American that don't speak a word of English, have you seen the latest test to become a citizen? What a joke. You can buy the answer to the test outside of the building in Newark.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all... The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic... There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

And I agree. +1 TR.

ETA: One of the things that annoy me greatly is when people say that the US is now a tossed salad versus a melting pot. TR called it almost 100 years ago now (the above snippet is from a speech made in 1915). While I have no issues with people having a cultural identity, people must have their roots in this nation.

:clap: Also agreed 120%