winki

Newark Liberty / business travel / hollow points

This is my first post on this site. I'm hoping someone knows the answer.

I am businessman here in NJ and I occasionally travel to Houston. I have a Florida CCW and I've been around firearms all my life, both in the military and growing up out west.

Houston being what it is (and I look relatively wealthy), I generally carry concealed when I'm there (Sig P239 SAS in 9mm) and besides that the town also has several nice pistol ranges a person can use. I've never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with declaring my pistol at Newark Liberty and I lock it up securely, but I do carry ammo as well (not in the pistol of course, I'm no idiot) and that ammo is hollowpoint.

No one has ever called me on it, but could I get in trouble for transporting that ammunition? Has anyone here ever had a problem at Newark Liberty? The last time I declared my pistol the ticket agent looked at me like I had horns growing out of my head but I sailed through.

I have an attorney friend and I asked him but he had no idea.

the HP's are legal as far as we can tell, but there have been a few cases, where seemingly, the PA Police Officers have seen it differently.

If you want to be sure, you can pick up some Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).

THIS..... This is the round I carry in my 1911 off duty, even though i have the choice of any rouynd I want to carry. it's also the basic "Retirement Round" for LE retirees here in the PRNJ.

the HP's are legal as far as we can tell, but there have been a few cases, where seemingly, the PA Police Officers have seen it differently.

If you want to be sure, you can pick up some Federal EFMJ (Expanding Full Metal Jacket).

THIS..... This is the round I carry in my 1911 off duty, even though i have the choice of any rouynd I want to carry. it's also the basic "Retirement Round" for LE retirees here in the PRNJ.

Also what I have loaded in the 2 mags in my night table....

Guys, thanks for the tips on the EFMJ. I appreciate it. I'll try to buy some on-line and switch to that.

I have zero desire to become a "trophy" conviction for the Essex county prosecutor. You just can't be too careful. I'm probably crazy to even keep shooting, but I've been doing it my whole life and it's more fun than golf.

I hate the laws and taxes in this state and I look forward to the day I finally leave.

They're technically illegal generally, but permitted to possess under the same exemptions as possessing a handgun. The only difference between hollowpoints and handguns is that you can theoretically get a permit to carry a handgun...

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_hollow.html - which ends with the funniest thing I've yet seen on NJ Firearms law

"The State Supreme Court has "characterized the Gun Control Law as 'highly purposed and conscientiously designed toward preventing criminal and other unfit elements from acquiring firearms while enabling the fit elements of society to obtain them with minimal burdens.'" :lol: