lunker

Accurate Bolt Action Rifles in 30 '06?

I have been looking around and it seems like neither Remington nor Savage makes a heavy barreled bolt action in 30 '06. I thought that someone would make the equivalent of a 700P or a 10FP in 30-06. Is there a reason why they don't in this caliber? Is it somehow less inherently accurate than 308? I know that the action is longer, but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason.

I was already planning on reloading in 30 '06 for my M1 Garand. Getting a rifle in 308 is not really a problem since 308 and 30 '06 take the same caliber bullets. I just wanted to satisfy my curiosity.

Pretty much.

I'm surprised. You use the same bullet as a 308 and could use the same barrel. Unless I am mistaken, the only thing that has to be different between a 30 '06 rifle and a 308 rifle is the chamber size (and of course bolt action pull length, bolt size, etc). I'm not a ballistician, but I don't get it.

Pretty much.

I'm surprised. You use the same bullet as a 308 and could use the same barrel. Unless I am mistaken, the only thing that has to be different between a 30 '06 rifle and a 308 rifle is the chamber size (and of course bolt action pull length, bolt size, etc). I'm not a ballistician, but I don't get it.

Here Chris http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=165663802

Unless you are going to shoot over 800 yds, there is not really an advantage to a 30 06. For hunting you will have a different result depending on game and bullet weight.

Unless you are going to shoot over 800 yds, there is not really an advantage to a 30 06. For hunting you will have a different result depending on game and bullet weight.

Thanks Tim. I was thinking about all the brass I already have in 30 '06 and how it would make sense to use some of it in a bolt gun. The only issue is that I would reload them differently (i.e. neck sizing only for bolt gun brass).

Pretty much.

Here ya go.

http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/accuracyfacts.asp

At 1000 yards, where both the .30-06 and .308 were allowed in Palma matches, the .308 was the clear-cut most accurate of the two. If top shooters felt the .30-06 was a more accurate round, they would have used it - they didn't. In fact by the early 1970s, the scoring ring dimensions on the 800 - 1000 yard target were also cut in about half due to the accuracy of both the .308 Win. over the .30-06 and the .30-.338 over the .300 H&H when used in long range matches.

Most top highpower shooters feel the main reason the .308 is much more accurate than the .30-06 is its shorter, fatter case promotes more uniform and gentle push on the bullet due to a higher loading density (less air space) and a more easily uniformly ignitable powder charge.

Thanks Malsua. That explains a lot. By that logic, those Winchester Super Short Magnums should be tack drivers.

From the wiki page on WSSM

There are basic advantages inherent to the Short Magnum concept. The idea is that the short, fat powder column gives a more uniform load density and ignition rate and therefore a more consistent burn. This in turn should translate into improved accuracy and potentially moderate recoil due to more efficient use of propellants.

I can't vouch for that, it's just what is out there. Shrug. I always shot .308 better but I just figured it because the .308s seemed to be the better rifles that my dad and step dad and friends all had. The 30.06s all tended to be really old so I attributed it to the rifle, not the round but that's just what I was exposed to.