Sign in to follow this  
karcirate

Clifton PD - FID and HG purchase app

kind of off topic but you bring up something i am really curious about.. i don't personally care since my boss is fully aware of my interest in firearms.. but i have seen several threads in which people discuss the PD reaching out to employers during the process of acquiring a firearms permit.. is that even legal? why is it ANY business of my employer what i own in my home...

kind of off topic but you bring up something i am really curious about.. i don't personally care since my boss is fully aware of my interest in firearms.. but i have seen several threads in which people discuss the PD reaching out to employers during the process of acquiring a firearms permit.. is that even legal? why is it ANY business of my employer what i own in my home...

I think its more like another reference.

I think its more like another reference.

Yes, but how can they decide which contacts in your personal life (including employer) will be included in the process?

If they could, why not just force you to put in certain specific references (parent, clergy), or heck - why not just call all your neighbors?

There have been a few threads on this lately.

i noticed that as well.. and if they contact the employer (which they did NOT for me) and say "this is xxxxxx pd we are verifying that xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx is employed there" i guess that is one thing.. but if they call my work and say "xxxxxxx xxxxx is applying for a firearms permit" i see NO need in that.. and actually have a problem with that..

Anyone know if the Clifton PD sends or notifies employer about applications?

And in general, how are they with processing FID/HG purchase apps?

I've heard that Clifton is one of the bad ones..6+ months to get a firearms purchaser ID. Your mileage may vary.

I've heard that Clifton is one of the bad ones..6+ months to get a firearms purchaser ID. Your mileage may vary.

i just got mine. 6 1/2 weeks. both the detective and the assistant are very nice and helpful. give them a call and ask.

Det. Cusack (973 470-5879)

i just got mine. 6 1/2 weeks. both the detective and the assistant are very nice and helpful. give them a call and ask.

Det. Cusack (973 470-5879)

'

Good to hear. Guy I work with took 7 months.

It's just one more thing designed to discourage firearms ownership. If someone has a boss that they don't know what he thinks of guns, or know he doesn't like guns, they will probably not apply for a permit for fear of the boss putting down something bad, or firing them, or at least making them have awkward moments at work. it's an invasion of privacy.

Also, my town sends the letter and the letter states gun permit. But even if they called for "yeah it's Sgt. Schmoe, does ___ work here? No, I'm sorry, I can't tell you that" yeah that's gonna make the boss feel real comfortable with you :lol:

My township sent such a letter to my employer and asked whether he would recommend that I be approved/denied, and what qualities I have displayed that would support his response. this was for an address change on a FID that I have held since 1984. I have a good relationship with my boss, and he was somewhat amused with the process. Lucky for me. I understand that some folks actually have jerks for bosses - bad for them. I realize that the local PD has a statutory duty to conduct an investigation, but I find it disturbing that a constitutionally protected right could be rationed based partially on an employers opinion.

I suggested to him that he respond that I have never given him any reason to suggest that they deny me my fundamental right to keep and bear arms, but I don't think that is what he wrote.

I don't live in Clifton, apologies if the response is off topic.

My township sent such a letter to my employer and asked whether he would recommend that I be approved/denied, and what qualities I have displayed that would support his response. this was for an address change on a FID that I have held since 1984. I have a good relationship with my boss, and he was somewhat amused with the process. Lucky for me. I understand that some folks actually have jerks for bosses - bad for them. I realize that the local PD has a statutory duty to conduct an investigation, but I find it disturbing that a constitutionally protected right could be rationed based partially on an employers opinion.

I suggested to him that he respond that I have never given him any reason to suggest that they deny me my fundamental right to keep and bear arms, but I don't think that is what he wrote.

I don't live in Clifton, apologies if the response is off topic.

There is NO RKBA in the NJ state Constitution, and like it or not, the US Constitution limits the power of the FEDERAL Govt, not the states, until the 2nd is Incorporated via SCOTUS decision.