Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

N.J. top cops call for tougher gun laws

Sorry but NONE of those people are "Cops" McCarthy is a Politician, AND he came from NYPD....as Anti-gun as you can get. Valentin is NOT a Cop..He's a Prosecutor..never did a DAY as a Cop even though he was an AP in Hudson County, and Comey..he USED to be a cop..but once you get past Sgt in JCPD, you stop being a cop and Start being a politician. I Personally LIKE Tom..but he knows my feelings on the subject. In REALITY he's neutral, but in public he's a Politician and has to toe the Healy line...NOT an excuse, just the reality of the Situation. NONE of those guys speak for the rank and file street cops, but OUR voices arent heard because rags like the Star Ledger have an agenda.

If someone steals and you chop off his hands he is likely never to steal again...

If you see your friend get his hands chopped off for stealing you are unlikely to steal...

If someone kills someone and we put them to death they will not kill again..

in contrast.. if someone shoots someone.. and they serve 10 years and are then released.. well you are not really setting the penalty bar all that high.. want to stop gun violence.. create penalties that match the crime.. reinstate the death penalty.. move things along faster.. cut out all the BS..

if you COMPLETELY DESTROYED EVERY gun in the world tomorrow.. the 6 oclock news would be overrun with reports of stabbings... guns are not the issue.. it is the will of man to hurt one another coupled with the lack of serious consequence that IS the problem...

if you COMPLETELY DESTROYED EVERY gun in the world tomorrow.. the 6 oclock news would be overrun with reports of stabbings... guns are not the issue.. it is the will of man to hurt one another coupled with the lack of serious consequence that IS the problem...

Well said.

Brian, its the authorities that have no problems saying negative things about you, I dunno why you can't at least rant like some of the other fine forumsters ;)

Seriously, from Gordon Brown, to Michael Bloomberg and fatazz Christie, 'they' just want you to sit down and shut up and vote for them, and they will give you some goodies from time to time to keep you quiet. I have not seen anything like the last few days, since Sun AM, that the government/media apparatus (tinfoil hat time ;) ) has been so blatant about falseley accusing and attacking those who oppose current govt policy. And this article is more of the same. Note that the "roundtable" was sponsored by the ATF, a gov't agency that stands to expand greatly if more sweeping federal gun laws are enacted. And the politicains quoted would also see their budgets and power increase as well. Naked greed, lust for power and ambition on display, from the Feds on down to the State (AG & prosecutors) to the municipalities. It is really making me puke :puke-front:

Sorry but NONE of those people are "Cops" McCarthy is a Politician, AND he came from NYPD....as Anti-gun as you can get. Valentin is NOT a Cop..He's a Prosecutor..never did a DAY as a Cop even though he was an AP in Hudson County, and Comey..he USED to be a cop..but once you get past Sgt in JCPD, you stop being a cop and Start being a politician. I Personally LIKE Tom..but he knows my feelings on the subject. In REALITY he's neutral, but in public he's a Politician and has to toe the Healy line...NOT an excuse, just the reality of the Situation. NONE of those guys speak for the rank and file street cops, but OUR voices arent heard because rags like the Star Ledger have an agenda.

1+

"Need stricter gun laws" + "combined with lax federal gun laws that allow illegal weapons to flow into New Jersey"... DOES NOT COMPUTE... Its already illegal! how is making it more illegal going to help!

apparently illegal does not mean illegal anymore.. just like with illegal immigration if you SERIOUSLY mean something is illegal.. you must pass redundant laws that spell it out clearly, not JUST label it illegal once.. and then when you are done you must post that it is illegal 50 million times over in every language to ever exist as to be super careful not to offend anyone...;)

If someone steals and you chop off his hands he is likely never to steal again...

If you see your friend get his hands chopped off for stealing you are unlikely to steal...

If someone kills someone and we put them to death they will not kill again..

in contrast.. if someone shoots someone.. and they serve 10 years and are then released.. well you are not really setting the penalty bar all that high.. want to stop gun violence.. create penalties that match the crime.. reinstate the death penalty.. move things along faster.. cut out all the BS..

+1

I really don't care what NJ cops want. And I certainly don't think there is anybody speaking for the rank and file anyway.

I am more important than any NJ cop, and I cause a hell of a lot less problems and do a hell of a lot more good. Coming from a guy who once had a job description to shoot people and to get shot, who understood at the time that my place in the world was lower than that of any un-enlisted American Citizen.

I would support getting their chain of command to stop making them show numbers and let them do their job. It should be a very honorable profession.

I really don't care what NJ cops want. And I certainly don't think there is anybody speaking for the rank and file anyway.

I am more important than any NJ cop, and I cause a hell of a lot less problems and do a hell of a lot more good. Coming from a guy who once had a job description to shoot people and to get shot, who understood at the time that my place in the world was lower than that of any un-enlisted American Citizen.

Well said!

These NJ politicians, people like Bloomberg, Daley, etc. are just jealous brats, sore losers, crybabies is all.

They rule their states and cities with an iron fist, and yet they have more crime than anywhere, and less freedom for their citizens than the vast majority of the country. They know that the bullshit anti gun rhetoric they've been spewing all these years is being shown for what it is everywhere else.

And rather than admit that they were wrong, and change, they chose to cover their ears, and stamp their feet, and keep spinning the truth.

If I had just thirty seconds at a press conference, just one chance, in public, to ask someone like Bloomberg or Lautenberg, I would ask them just one question.

I would ask them where are the shootouts caused by concealed carriers, where are the herds of children gunned down with assault weapons, where are the OK corral shootouts?

And I'd show them this little map:

Of course, they know they lost, so they'd never be so dumb as to allow someone to speak freely to them. So it's all just fantasy.

maps...

that second map make me really depressed to still live in this state.. lol

I've seen that map before and cringe at labeling NJ as a "may" issue state. Unless you are a billionaire or having gay sex with the governor, this is a "no" issue state.

You think the new gov is a secret fudge packer?

I think a few pizzas delivered to him and you might get one :-P

I've seen that map before and cringe at labeling NJ as a "may" issue state. Unless you are a billionaire or having gay sex with the governor, this is a "no" issue state.

You think the new gov is a secret fudge packer?

I think a few pizzas delivered to him and you might get one :-P

That's not a bad idea at all.. Send it to his office and get enough for his staff as well, put a note that says "Thanks for your support on the Bear Hunt, now on our way to Shall Issue".

dot dot dot....

I am thinking about this whole "reasonable" restrictions thing, and this is going to be more of a stream-of-thought post than the more structured argument that others post, but that having been said:

the fight is for the middle ground. The Bryan Millers of this world are never going to be convinced that sensible adults have legitimate fears regarding the safety of themselves and their families that on occasion may require (note, 'require', because of the instantaneous nature of such threats and corresponding reply requirements) the ability to project force beyond the length of one's arms, to address. That is, people not only feel safer if they have a firearm to hand, but actually are safer (and there are FBI etc stats to back this up). The majority however, can be convinced of this, just as they have been convinced of the opposite by BM etc

We need, I think, to demonstrate (note, not 'portray') ourselves to be sensible adults. We should embrace and even advocate training - do we really think that the skills needed to hunt deer are equivalent to those needed to draw and discharge a firearm safely in a car park?

We need to work with, not against, our local police, because at the end of the day it is they, not we, who set the standard of law enforcement on the street on a daily basis.

Most of all, we need to be visible, patient and persistent. We need to make the case logically set in the context of the modern day. I respect that people hold the Constitution dear or even sacrosanct, but at the end of the day, too many people can argue that it was written for a different era (this may or may not be true, but there's no denying that it was written hundreds of years ago, when things were very different). It actually doesn't matter, from the context of taking the middle ground, whether the Second Amendment applies literally or contextually, because those in the middle ground perceive it as contextual and, whether we like it or not, there are more and more naturalised citizens, more immigrants, more people who simply do not see the need. It is they who must be convinced because it is from these people that the liberal Councillors are elected.

So, while we can hope and wish for more decisions like Heller (and McDonald, hopefully), at the end even if they go as we hope, we are still likely to be left with "reasonable restrictions" and guess who is going to decide the definition of "reasonable"? Those very liberal Councillors elected from the middle ground in every city and township in New Jersey.

We can never, I think, make this issue key in any election, people by and large vote for the package, not on individual issues, we need to change how people think. And whether we like it or not, that means changing how they think about us as firearm owners and advocates.

I'd suggest that making unsubstantiated claims about the Governror's sexual preferences, while simultaneously demonstrating overt homophobia doesn't portray us as reasonable or adult. Get a grip chaps - what we say here is public and reflects on ourselves as individuals and gun owners in general.

best

G

I'm pretty sure former Governor James McGreevey was gay. My reference was to his special friend in a government job appointed by McGreevy, which was in a senior security position. Among other positions.

But G, I absolutely agree with you. You are right that our community hurts itself more than we know with inflammatory, angry, and often plain stupid rhetoric and behavior. We are in a very small minority in this state with the majority convinced that we are all gun toting maniacs with anger and psych problems.

Lets not contribute any more to that perception, and maybe even try to change it. I for one will make more effort to not sound like a dumbass. Anyone else feel the same?