Scrap

queston about new, unfired, yet "used" guns

I got into a "discussion" with some worker-dooshes at a range across the river in PA.

Basically,

When I got my initial FID/Permit to purchase I got my 1 handgun and had a plan for lots of longguns, and I sort of bought a lot of longguns instead of a few expensive ones. If that makes any sense.

I decided I don't really NEED a bunch of what I have, I mean shoot, I have 5 or 6 longguns sitting unfired..So I talked to someone over the phone, brought some stuff down to "trade in" on a bigger caliber, nicer longgun. I had/have been looking for an AR-15/AR-10/AK/bolt action/etc --- Basically I bought a bunch of boomsticks and real nice .22LR's and I don't have a battlerifle.

Needless to say what was told to me on the phone was NOT what they actually offered me when I got there... Like, they lied through their teeth over the phone.... My questions are , just because the gun has been purchased, does that make it any less "new" or "unfired" etc... because these dudes insisted they were as "used" as a 5 year old /50000 rd gun... I was like, sure, they've been PURCHASED, and that might make them "used" but you can still honestly say that they're UNFIRED, and never ever USED, maybe not like legally NIB but still actually New, In Box, Unfired, etc.

Granted, would you give me the $500 / $500 / $200 for the three I brought that I paid, surely not, you wouldn't make any money... But when you say $200 / 100 / 100 to me thats just redonkulous. It's not like I'm PAWNING them, I'm trading for something at your shop! And let the record reflect this was all over a $1000 rifle... They said, yeah, you got those three you describe, we have x-rifle, we can make it work for an even swap, c'mon down. I get there and all the sudden, said $1000 rifle is now worth WAAAAAY more than the $1000 price tag , and my stuff is old and busted, sorry. I'm like , bullsheeeit.

Or am I completely wrong here?

oh and sorry it was my Benelli Supernova (24" SteadyGrip neverfired NEW) / S&W M&P 15-22 (neverfired NEW) / Remington 597 (which has been fired, maybe a couple magazines worth on ONE trip to the range, maybe 8 mags worth, and many of them damn Rem bulkpacks didn't even fire, so its damn near new, with scope, etc)

The moment you walk out of the store it is used, and cannot be sold as New. Is it unfired? absolutely.

When it comes to shops, you have to realize that none of them are going to give you 75% or 90% of NIB value, even though that is what it may be. You are often better off putting it on consignment and taking the 15% or so commission hit. Anytime you go to sell a gun, you will get blue book value or less.

Ie... I go to a motorcycle place, buy a new bike, have it delivered to my house, then I decide to sell it..... is it new?

Other thing to keep in mind, the price you may be expecting... is higher than the price they can get it for new.

If I was buying your firearms, yes, they are NIB, but they are not new in the sense of first owner from a store.

Best bet, sell it on here, gunbroker, or consignment.

The moment you walk out of the store it is used,

lets be realistic with the situation.. I am sure some EXPERT gunsmith could give you a ROUGH idea of how many rounds were put through a gun, after thoroughly examining it.. but when someone says "used gun but only put a 100 or so rounds through it" the average person is going to have a hard time believing if that is true OR if it was closer to 1,000 rounds.. even more so if the gun was maintained well.. so for all practical purposes once you buy it.. might as well shoot it.. because if I am buying.. its used..

and as pointed out i bet selling it WOULD be better than trading it..

just like selling a car there are different values of something depending on if you are selling private party.. trading in.. etc..

Like the previous posters said. better to sell in a private transaction.

Good example i had a Like new Remington 870TB Wingmaster, I walked into Sportsman Center and was offered a very generous $150.00. Needless to say i said no thanks and walked out.

Later that week i sold it to a fellow shooter for $300.00

It's like trading in a used but in new condition vehicle. Dealer has to buy low to cover overhead and still make a profit.

It matters to the retail buyer somewhat that it is used, unfired, LNIB. However, all you need to do though is watch Pawn Stars one night and you will see that these guys (resellers) are in the business of "fast cash" for the seller. If half of these sellers (on TV, not you) were smart, they could get 25-50% more in a private sale/auction for their merchandise.

It matters to the retail buyer somewhat that it is used, unfired, LNIB. However, all you need to do though is watch Pawn Stars one night and you will see that these guys (resellers) are in the business of "fast cash" for the seller. If half of these sellers (on TV, not you) were smart, they could get 25-50% more in a private sale/auction for their merchandise.

Yeah, but typically they don't pawn stuff because of the value, they pawn it for convenience. A private sale of anything - from a gun to a lamp - usually yields more money, but involves making some sort of ads, taking pictures, possibly wait a week, couple weeks, etc. Pawn shops, it's walk in with item, walk out with cash. Not usually the smartest, or most pennywise thing to do, but keep in mind people usually take it to a pawn shop to unload fast not get best value.

Especially on a show like Pawn Stars. Hell, they're in Vegas! They don't wanna meet up with the potential buyer next Wednesday, they need cash in the next half hour to get back to the craps table :D

+1 watch pawn stars.

ooh, reminds me, one more thing to do in vegas.

I watch as well and my body was just there. He said that it's nothing like what we see on tv. He said the only guy that was the same was chum lee. The old man is the old man and does what he wants.

I have a pic on my cell of chum lee in the store and my body may be on the show, he was shopping in the background.

Yeah, but typically they don't pawn stuff because of the value, they pawn it for convenience. A private sale of anything - from a gun to a lamp - usually yields more money

90% of the "deals" done on Pawn Stars are not pawns but outright sales. Otherwise, no argument here, though I have seen guns sell faster on this forum than anywhere else I have ever been.