Sign in to follow this  
JimmyAGR

Spoken by someone who never had his a$$ on the line

This reminds me of the story of the new medal proposed for actions taken to prevent escalation, which is sort of contradictory. I have no qualms with protecting civilian lives in the battlefield because it is the primary objective (to inflict damage on the enemy and not friendlies or blue forces). However, the military, any military, is a tool of chaos and its application is to inflict damage.

What really binds the hands of our forces that puts them in unnecessary danger is the premise of the operations IMO. I'm not chastising or saying that what the commanders is doing is wrong because I simply don't have the information or experience necessary to make those types of decisions. However, expecting a tool that is made to destroy (whether its the hammer or "tip of the spear" used) to switch gears and police? I'm not a police officer, but having the discussion with some LEO friends of mine-- I give them all the credit in the world. Simply because they do a job I couldn't do. I'm a soldier, who's job is described previously, not a peace keeper. That might not be PC, but that's only because PC gets people killed in the real world.

This reminds me of the story of the new medal proposed for actions taken to prevent escalation, which is sort of contradictory. I have no qualms with protecting civilian lives in the battlefield because it is the primary objective (to inflict damage on the enemy and not friendlies or blue forces). However, the military, any military, is a tool of chaos and its application is to inflict damage.

What really binds the hands of our forces that puts them in unnecessary danger is the premise of the operations IMO. I'm not chastising or saying that what the commanders is doing is wrong because I simply don't have the information or experience necessary to make those types of decisions. However, expecting a tool that is made to destroy (whether its the hammer or "tip of the spear" used) to switch gears and police? I'm not a police officer, but having the discussion with some LEO friends of mine-- I give them all the credit in the world. Simply because they do a job I couldn't do. I'm a soldier, who's job is described previously, not a peace keeper. That might not be PC, but that's only because PC gets people killed in the real world.

I agree if you want to send in our military let them do what they are trained for. You don't expect a hammer to delicately drive a screw. Unfortunately civvies are a casualty of fighting. No one wants them but they happen. Better them then our military. I have a son in the Navy now, and one going ROTC in the fall. I was around in Lebanon in the 80s and don't want to see them have the same cluster Fu>> that we went through. We need to protect our own first and foremost.

Jimmy