Sign in to follow this  
Bob B

Bad Experience with SmartTouch Biometrics

I thought I would share this story so that others can avoid what I recently had to go through.

Recently, I bought a BioVault 2.0.

It's a biometric safe with a fingerprint scanner that pops open when you scan your finger -- ideal for a bedside gun safe. I intended to keep it bedside, so I could have quick access without worrying about the kids, without having to remember a combination and without having to use a key. However, the unit has a flaw with the electronics. It works on batteries only, and it works with the AC adapter only, but the panel crashes if you have batteries in the unit and you have it plugged in at the same time. Considering the purpose of the unit, you would want to have both power sources for backup.

The unit is under warranty and I attempted to return it to the manufacturer. That's when the real problems began and I found out the following:

1.The original manufacturer, Sequiam, went bankrupt and was purchased by a company called SmartTouch.

2. SmartTouch will not accept any returns for repair or replacement unless the unit was purchased from one of their current authorized resellers. There are resellers that were legitimately purchasing units from Sequiam that are no longer recognized.

3. Some units (like mine) have problems with the electronics that cannot be fixed.

4. There is at least one company that is creating knockoffs.

5. The unit is currently not being manufactured because of the problems that they are seeing.

6. If you do manage to get a unit from an authorized reseller, there are none being manufactured, so you will never be able to get a replacement if you have a problem.

7. SmartTouch does not plan to manufacture this unit in the future, although they might manufacture a "redesigned" version.

In addition to those facts, the reason that I was given that they would not accept the unit for repair or replacement was that if they accepted it, they would have to accept all of the units that aren't functioning properly that were purchased from other resellers. Basically, they admitted that the unit is having major problems.

The way I feel is that, when you buy a company, you buy the good and the bad, the assets and the liabilities. To not accept returns of units previously sold, but still under warranty is unethical, and probably illegal. They do not stand behind product that is currently in the hands of former resellers. They offered to sell me one of their current units, the biobox (a cheaper unit), at a discount, but I refused. It was never about the money. I just wanted them to stand behind their product.

It's up to you whether or not to ever do business with them, but at least you know what I went through before making your decision.

for now could you use a battery back up system like you would for a computer?

That's an interesting idea. I might do that if I can find the right unit. Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as small claims court. I'm considering it, but with two small kids, it's tough to spend that much time on it.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

I have a fingerprint/biometric pistol box too, different design and not sure if it's the same manufacturer or not, but it has worked flawlessly for over a year now on one 9 volt battery. If you're interested in another brand/model give me a yell and I'll post the specifics.

Sorry to hear you're having problems with it.

I have a fingerprint/biometric pistol box too, different design and not sure if it's the same manufacturer or not, but it has worked flawlessly for over a year now on one 9 volt battery. If you're interested in another brand/model give me a yell and I'll post the specifics.

I'm definitely interested in any biometric unit that anyone has had a good experience with. Thanks.

This is the one I have:

http://www.index-security.com/Product_N_PDFs/BioBOX.htm

BioBOX-specs_pic.gif

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's readily available any more. There used to be a dealer on ebay that had them for just over $200.

It has never failed to open via the fingerprint reader for me. The only two complaints I have are that the fingerprint reader cover latch can be hard to close (but it always opens quickly) and that the safe itself may require a manual reset of the locking mechanism if you leave it open for more than a minute.

It has never failed to open via the fingerprint reader for me. The only two complaints I have are that the fingerprint reader cover latch can be hard to close (but it always opens quickly) and that the safe itself may require a manual reset of the locking mechanism if you leave it open for more than a minute.

Manual reset = you have to re-key in your fingerprint or something else?

Did you set up your print doing a few different variations. In case your finger goes on different each time?

No I didn't. I honestly never thought about doing that. I will have to try it when I get home.

Did you set up your print doing a few different variations. In case your finger goes on different each time?

No I didn't. I honestly never thought about doing that. I will have to try it when I get home.

Cool. Report back. I am looking at buying this and would like to know how it works. How many prints can you do?

I went on youtube to look up some of the vaults listed below to see if there were any reviews and I came across these two videos. Can anyone confirm or deny these? My gutt reaction is that the first one has been unlocked with the key and the guy is faking it, but the second one has me wondering.

R8i3zVGQFKo&feature=related

48yJY8ChyYk

i have the mini deluxe gunvault and after watching the video I tried every which why I could think of and the door never pop open. I am not saying it can't but I could not do it.

I'm glad to hear that. I think the first video is a hoax, but I'm curious about the Inprint safe. That looks like it might be legit.

Ok so I tried scanning my prints in different ways last night and here is what I found. First the print reader will still read the print at off angles. So if your finger is flat, but angled to the left or right, it still reads. You can