Matt

Cherry Ridge newbie question...

the exact words said during my safety thing last year:

"if the guy is going -bang bang bang bang- and getting every shot in the black circle, its not rapid fire. if hes going -bang bang bang bang- and hitting everything but the target, its rapid fire"

Well said!

"if the guy is going -bang bang bang bang- and getting every shot in the black circle, its not rapid fire. if hes going -bang bang bang bang- and hitting everything but the target, its rapid fire"

This seems to be the sentiment at CR. I believe the sign on the pistol range even says "No *uncontrolled* rapid fire" or something like that.

Most ranges have rules to this effect. It's not to prevent good shooters from having fun, it's to prevent accidents and damage to the range. A certain popular indoor range doesn't allow head shots on targets for this reason (too many lights shot out?) and I've seen RO's at another have to go stop someone who was repeatedly hitting the target carrier on an indoor range. If you are fast and accurate and are controlling and accounting for each of your shots, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an RO who is going to have a big problem with that. The RO's at CR are all familiar with IPSC and IDPA, so if that's your thing I can't see them having a problem with it.

I think CR is an amazing value for range membership. I haven't found anyplace else I can shoot for $130/year within an hour of my home. My favorite indoor range is $18/hr, and while I do enjoy going there, it gets pricey fast.

This seems to be the sentiment at CR. I believe the sign on the pistol range even says "No *uncontrolled* rapid fire" or something like that.

Most ranges have rules to this effect. It's not to prevent good shooters from having fun, it's to prevent accidents and damage to the range. A certain popular indoor range doesn't allow head shots on targets for this reason (too many lights shot out?) and I've seen RO's at another have to go stop someone who was repeatedly hitting the target carrier on an indoor range. If you are fast and accurate and are controlling and accounting for each of your shots, I think you'd be hard pressed to find an RO who is going to have a big problem with that. The RO's at CR are all familiar with IPSC and IDPA, so if that's your thing I can't see them having a problem with it.

I think CR is an amazing value for range membership. I haven't found anyplace else I can shoot for $130/year within an hour of my home. My favorite indoor range is $18/hr, and while I do enjoy going there, it gets pricey fast.

I read somewhere on this forum that Bullet Hole doesn't allow head shots but I did it many many times before I ever heard that and no one ever said anything to me about it there... any truth to that?

I read somewhere on this forum that Bullet Hole doesn't allow head shots but I did it many many times before I ever heard that and no one ever said anything to me about it there... any truth to that?

It's true in the sense that when the RO tells you the rules when you walk in, "no heads shots" is mentioned. The older RO in particular (I forget his name.. might be John) emphasizes it. The first 2-3 times I had been to BH, no one mentioned the no head shots thing to me, so when this particular RO said it, I thought he was kidding at first and chuckled. He didn't seem amused :D

That said, the ROs can't be everywhere all the time.. as long as you're not being a douche, they leave you alone for the most part. If you're shooting a little too fast you may get a comment. Like you, I've shot head shots and haven't gotten chewed out about it. But my shots actually ended up in the general vicinity of the head :) That's not always the case with a lot of people that shoot there.

It's true in the sense that when the RO tells you the rules when you walk in, "no heads shots" is mentioned. The older RO in particular (I forget his name.. might be John) emphasizes it. The first 2-3 times I had been to BH, no one mentioned the no head shots thing to me, so when this particular RO said it, I thought he was kidding at first and chuckled. He didn't seem amused :D

That said, the ROs can't be everywhere all the time.. as long as you're not being a douche, they leave you alone for the most part. If you're shooting a little too fast you may get a comment. Like you, I've shot head shots and haven't gotten chewed out about it. But my shots actually ended up in the general vicinity of the head :) That's not always the case with a lot of people that shoot there.

The speech I got was the normal safety briefing: No guns uncased outside the port, no rapid fire, you may load mags outside the port, no head shots or high shots on the bowling pin unless you're a cop(this is where :roll: occurred in my head). I nod my head in agreement as I think to myself most of the cops I see shoot here shouldn't shoot at targets more than ten feet away never mind try to make a head shot.

The head shot rule is based on the backstop being thickest at the bottom. Actually some of the taller shooters have to shoot high otherwise the bullets ricochet off the floor. Now it seems at about 20 yards out the line sags slightly lowering the target closer to the thicket part of the backstop. I don't think my caliber of choice(.22LR), my slightly above average height, & my accuracy should warrant this rule, but it's not my range so the rules I will follow. I guess I can't expect leniency to the rule when I show up with characters like Ray Ray. :lol:

J/K Ray. Zombie Extermination Team North calls bullet placement. ;)

But I digress. Safety Rules there are to ensure nobody gets hurt. Could you do rapid fire safely? Maybe you can. Some people can't and these rules keep me from getting Dick Cheney'd. If you can make your shots nobody is going to bother you. I have some goodies on the way and I'm signing up for Cherry Ridge this Sunday.

One last thing to keep on topic of the CR newbie question... I'm going to do a family membership so my girlfriend (if I trade her in for a better model can I get a new SO pass issued?) can come too. Is she covered under the "significant other" designation or is that just for people in same sex relationships? :gay-rainbowflag:

Family This membership provides range privileges for the member, a spouse or SO, and their minor children. Annual dues are $265 for the first year and $200 for renewals. For families having at least one member 60+ years of age, annual dues are $225 for the first year and $169 for renewals.

When I signed up for family membership at CR, I wasn't married yet. That said, when they sent my then fiance her membership card, it had my last name on it :D We're married now, so doesn't matter I guess.

When I signed up for family membership at CR, I wasn't married yet. That said, when they sent my then fiance her membership card, it had my last name on it :D We're married now, so doesn't matter I guess.

Okay thanks Pete! Signing up the little woman and I now. :D