Bob B

SORA Card Easier than FPID Card?

Is this process better than the current FPID process?

Recently, I went through the process to get a SORA card. This is a card required by the NJ Security Officer's Registration Act. Here's the process:

Sign on to the NJSP website and fill out the SORA application. You get a 30 day temporary license on the spot and a copy of the application.

Make an appointment with Sagem Morpho (MorphoTrak) to get your fingerprints taken electronically (Appointment took 5 minutes). They staple the receipt to the application. NJSP conducts the background check.

Schedule SORA class (must be completed before your temp license expires or you have to start over). I used GFH. Class was two days.

SORA class provider checks two forms of ID, takes your application, takes your photo and submits completion notification and photo online to NJSP.

SORA card sent out immediately (I received mine the second business day after completing the class).

Total time, from start to finish was three weeks.

What do you think?

Maybe it was just a lot of typing, but that seems like a lot of work.

My FID card was rather easily applied for and obtained.

I walked into my PD, got fingerprinted, gave them money, filled out the application with my references and handed it in.

In about 2 and half months they called me that my FID was ready.

Sure it was a rather long waiting time, but it wasnt that big of a deal to me. Just gave me that much more time to figure out what I wanted :lol:

I think this process could replace the FPID card and the PPP and could also be used as a permit to carry. A class would only be necessary to carry (based on current law). For FPID and PPP just fill the application out on line and make your appointment to get your fingerprints taken at MorphoTrak. You get your card after the background check comes back and the card would be used to purchase any firearm, so, no more PPP's.

This process already exists for SORA cards, so it would not be difficult to make the transition and, therefore, would be an easier sell to legislators.

Just thinking out loud and wanted to hear some other thoughts as well.

what is the purpose of SORA?

Another way for the state to make $$$$$$$$

It's ok though, some of the armored car companies pretend to SORA that they are transportation employees carrying a gun for personal protection, and thus do not need a SORA.

Then they turn around and tell DOT that the armed guys are security guards, not transportation employees, and do not need a DOT card.

So the unarmed guy driving the truck has a DOT card and can drive but not guard, and the guy guarding the money doesn't have a SORA or a DOT so he can't drive. It's pretty funny when the driver falls ill or something and they have to send people out to finish the route/drive the truck home.

If only the right hand was talking to the left hand :lol:

SORA still makes the state money off the Wackenhutt/Metro One/Securitas guys though. Last I heard about the SORA, most of the test was CPR, how to file police reports, talk to police, etc.

Another Corzine Scam to increase revenue to the state. Even WE have to get them if we work not-departmental traffic/security jobs. About $200.00 later, to do the same job i've been doing since 2000.

Another Corzine Scam to increase revenue to the state. Even WE have to get them if we work not-departmental traffic/security jobs. About $200.00 later, to do the same job i've been doing since 2000.

I used to work as an EMT employed by a security company (industrial setting). They wanted me to get SORA, (I don't know if it was because every employee had to have it, or that I would answer the phone for 10 minutes a day when the security guard left between shifts) I went to half the class and decided I was going to quit anyways, so I didn't go back :o

They ended up eating the cost of the class since I didn't have any back pay due to me.

The part I didn't sleep through was about fences and locks or something... I didn't really see the point in it.

SORA is the New Jersey Security Officer Registration Act. It requires all security officers to register with the NJSP, go through a background investigation and take 24 hours of training.

I agree with the assessment of the training and of the fees. Some of the training was worthwhile, some, well, not so much. But that doesn't matter because there is no training required for an FPID card or PPP.

My thought is, if this process exists, why is it not being used for the FPID card?

The process being:

Fill out the form on line.

Make your finger print appointment.

Get your finger prints taken.

Get your card in the mail in two to three weeks.

This would centralize the process, taking all of the municipality police departments out of the picture. At this point, I really don't care where the money goes. We can worry about that later. My beef is with the delays and the inconsistant denials.

The process being:

This would centralize the process, taking all of the municipality police departments out of the picture. At this point, I really don't care where the money goes. We can worry about that later. My beef is with the delays and the inconsistant denials.

We live in the days of instant communication. Anything besides a NICS and some forms at purchase time is entirely outdated. You go through NJ's massive process, only to go purchase a gun, and have the dealer call the same place that issued the permit for a background check. Think about it for a second - how pointless does that make the permit system if there's a background check at purchase time anyway?

These processes are cloudy, costly, and inefficient on purpose. They are intentionally left outdated and inefficient to slow down permit processes and reduce the number of guns owned by law abiding citizens. The entire system has been out of date for decades now.

The process being:

We live in the days of instant communication. Anything besides a NICS and some forms at purchase time is entirely outdated. You go through NJ's massive process, only to go purchase a gun, and have the dealer call the same place that issued the permit for a background check. Think about it for a second - how pointless does that make the permit system if there's a background check at purchase time anyway?

These processes are cloudy, costly, and inefficient on purpose. They are intentionally left outdated and inefficient to slow down permit processes and reduce the number of guns owned by law abiding citizens. The entire system has been out of date for decades now.

Agreed.