bulpup

Reloading to save $ ?

I reload for 9mm (among many other calibers) and will give you a cost breakdown:

Brass = free, (pick it up at the range)

Primer = At today's prices, figure 3c a piece

Powder= Less than a penny

Bullet (boolit, Yea, I'm one of them guys) Free, cast my own.

My cost is $4.00 per 100 rounds of perfect ammo taylor made for me and my gun.

You can get a set up to reload for about $140.00

Figure another $100.00 or so in casting gear if you dont want to buy bullets

So for the cost of 10 boxes of ammo, you can have unlimited ammo.

I have never save a penny reloading. I have shot a whole lot more.

No one has ever saved a penny golfing, or boating either.

This is a great break down. I just got the cheapest 9mm ammo I have ever bought from the Armory. $4 a box of my own sounds pretty darn good. I guess it would take a while to get the money back, but shooting to get there would be a fun way to get ROI :lol:

for most calibers, the largest expense is the price of bullets. The powder is quite cheap, esp if you buy the bigger jugs of powder.

1lb powder is 7000 grains., at $19 a lb.

9mm and the 45 GAP I load uses 4.5 grains. 1,555 loads, so about 1.2 cents of powder.

223 uses about 20 grains, so call it 5 cents of powder.

308 and the likes use around 40 grains, so 10 cents of powder.

The brass, if you can get free from the range is a large plus. For rifles, bolt actions in particular, I will buy between 3 to 5 boxes of commercial stuff, Prvi ammo for instance, for each firearm in that caliber, shoot the ammo, and then use that brass to reload. If you are shooting a bolt action, with neck sizing for your rifle, the brass lasts you quite a bit. I am over 5 reloads on 308 brass and still as new. Some folks get over 15 reloads by resizing the neck only. Then again, mild loads = longer brass life.

If you are looking at revolvers, the brass should last you indefinitely.

Where you pay... is the bullet. It can be from pennies to $.50 to $1 per bullet for some high end bolt action calibers.

keep in mind, most boxes of ammo are 50 rounds. I pay $4/ 100

If you do decide to get into it, PM me. I have a few things I can let go cheap. And advice and camaraderie are free.

I might just take you up on that. Right now I have a situation where I am working hard to get a regular steady job (after 18 years of freelance). Too much to get into details but sometie after the 4th I would love to look into it further.

The most pressing concern for me is what kind of area should I have to set up shop?

well, if you don't have your own personal man cave, anywhere quiet.

If you live alone, anywhere.

Other than that,

I work in my basement. It's finished, and I have my own "shop". It's about 10x10.

Alot of guys work in a garage. It's ok, but chilly in he winter.

Anywhere the kids won't get into your stuff and your spouse won't want to put up curtains.

You could get away with about 4 square feet if your conservative. There's lots of threads on the internet about low budget/small sized reloading set ups.

Ideally, in the perfect world, you'd want a nice sized work bench, but you can't always have what you want.

You could get away with about 4 square feet if your conservative. There's lots of threads on the internet about low budget/small sized reloading set ups.

Ideally, in the perfect world, you'd want a nice sized work bench, but you can't always have what you want.

I am picturing more of a collapible temp setup in my finished basement. Reload 1-200 at a time then go to the range. It doesn't seem like anything needs to be permanent but my impression is that there is a need to clamp something down securely?

I mount my presses onto pieces of plank then use tong style vice grips to lock them onto an old kitchen table in the basement. The table is the craft/work table thus nothing can really be permenent. I mount everything this way, powder measures, trimmers, all 4 of my presses, etc. It's rock solid and leaves no trail.

Alot of guys have used a folding workbench (like a black and decker work mate) successfully. You can probably find something useful at home depot or harbor freight. Something with a fairly thick top (not a card table) and stable.

You could make something if you are handy.

You wont be putting a major amount of pressure reloading.

The sizing is the most strenuous, and a pistol cartridge is pretty light. I probably wouldn't' FL resize a 30-06 on a saw horse, but pistol stuff you can.

I currently use one of those black & decker folding tables with great results. I have three presses on it and about to add a second lee pro 1000. The others are single stage presses. I also cast which can be very fun. I salvage range lead and melt it down. All the copper rises to the top.

I now reload 9mm, 38 sp, 357 mag and 45 auto. I will soon start casting and reloading 40 s&w. I definitely noticed the savings when I go to the range and never need to buy ammo.

keep in mind, most boxes of ammo are 50 rounds. I pay $4/ 100

If you do decide to get into it, PM me. I have a few things I can let go cheap. And advice and camaraderie are free.

Hey. Well I am ready to serious start looking into this. I think my first step is to get a good book on the subject. At the moment I only have 9mm and I think I would like to concentrate on that to cut my teeth. Any reccomendations?

I highly recommend both the Lyman's and the Speer reloading manuals.

Lyman's 49th Edition is top notch. It is especially nice because they give loads for all brands and types of bullets. Many reloading guides are only for that company's products.