rauchman

Compensators - Muzzle Brakes

Greetings all,

There are 2 newer muzzle brakes for the almighty AR that have caught my interest. They are considered compensators vs. flash hiders by the BATF.

One is the Knights Reed Triple comp (alright I feel like an idiot since I can't remember the exact name). It's roughly the size of an A2, yet reportedly does not add significant noise, as compared to a lot of compensators, and...... doesn't amplify flash.

The other is the Battlecomp Compensator. It sort of looks like an A2, but has much thinner vent slots and 4 holes drilled in the front. This one is especially catching my interest. It's about the size of an A2 (I understand they are coming out w/ a version that is 1.5" long for 14.5" barrels). If you know who Doc GKR is on M4carbine.net / AR15.com, he did a review on these and they give a flash/sound signature that is roughly the same as the A2 flash hider, yet is BATF legal to be considered a compensator. It is also supposed to dampen recoil nicely. Downside is it's expensive.... $150...ouch!!!

I have a couple of AR's and am planning on buying a new upper as well. Right now, none of my AR's have a muzzle device and I'd really like to get something that looks the part, without adding excessive noise and flash. Any other recommendations?

ETA..... cool, my 200th post!!!

I saw the review on the Battle Comp on M4C. I'd like to see it in person... as for the price, it seems like the poor man's KAC triple tap, which leads me too...

The KAC "triple tap" brake. I've heard different things about how difficult it is to pin it (due to its machining). The price is also a bit much ($430~).

Battlecomp Compensator ... is BATF legal to be considered a compensator.

Do you happen to have a link or copy of the BATF letter on that, as it was my understanding that they are no longer clasifying brakes? Thanks, as I am interested in trying this comp, but want confirmation that it is NJ legal first.

Do you happen to have a link or copy of the BATF letter on that, as it was my understanding that they are no longer clasifying brakes? Thanks, as I am interested in trying this comp, but want confirmation that it is NJ legal first.

Sorry, no I don't have that info. However, and I don't know if this means much, but, according to Battlecomp's website, CA has listed it as a brake.

Does it really matter? A brake is a brake.

Does it really matter? A brake is a brake.

If it is also a flash hider, and all reports I have read say it hides flash about like an A2, it is not Jersey legal.

Sorry, no I don't have that info. However, and I don't know if this means much, but, according to Battlecomp's website, CA has listed it as a brake.

From M4C:

Originally Posted by Patrick Aherne

Yes.

It is a compensator according to the manufacturer and his expert: me.

California law is rather unclear on the matter of what is and is not a flash hider. The best way to determine if the item is a FH or not is what the manufacturer calls the item. The name BattleComp was chosen for a number of reasons, one being that it clearly identifies the item as a compensator and not a flash hider, so that folks in states like CA can have cool stuff that works, too.

Also from the same thread on M4C:

Originally Posted by PRGGodfather

For the record, Sgt. Patrick Aherne is only ONE of BCE's experts. Don't let him fool you into thinking he's the only one we have! LOL

According to CA Department of Justice Firearms Bureau Chief Steve Buford, with whom I consulted to confirm Pat's statement; the BattleComp is a CA legal compensator. I made sure I had that answer before posting such claims on http://www.battlecomp.com, as DocGKR and I thought it prudent to secure agreement from both CALDOJ and ATF before opening for business.

I also contacted ATF, and the Firearms Compliance Branch confirmed they do not provide muzzle brake certification letters anymore, as their jurisdiction lapsed after the Federal AWB sunsetted.

We don't mess with the alphabet soup agencies. They tend not to have a sense of humor about unlicensed and unpermitted activities. We secured all of the applicable permits: LLC, County FBN, EIN, Seller's Permit, Business License, etc. (and applied for our proposed patent and trademarks/pseudomarks) before selling a single BattleComp. We just don't need the grief -- and folks who play by the rules have less to worry about.

Paddy is absolutely correct, but I also wanted to be 1000% certain, so I consulted directly with DOJ and chose not to operate based on just Paddy's word. I'd rather not sell a single comp than get myself or anyone else in trouble with the law. We lined everything up before rolling the dice. Our reputations matter more than making a buck.

Pat is my brother and I trust him completely, but I always confirm what he has to say; since he has a bad habit of responding before listening completely to the question.

If you have questions, please feel free to ask me through the site.

Thanks!

Alan

For the full thread go here: http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=55210 (it's up to 15 pages as of today)

Anyway, while it does SEEM to be a comp from everything they've said, there's really no way to be certain. The impression I get from reading those posts is that it's a comp because they said it's a comp. :confusion-shrug: :confusion-shrug:

One is the Knights Reed Triple comp (alright I feel like an idiot since I can't remember the exact name). It's roughly the size of an A2, yet reportedly does not add significant noise, as compared to a lot of compensators, and...... doesn't amplify flash.

Oh.. and regarding flash and the triple tap...

_32Y0365.jpg

:lol: In all fairness, that gun was supposedly very dirty when that shot was fired, which caused the excessive flash.

Lastly, many of us have PWS FSC556 comps on our ARs. Doesn't look anything like an A2 birdcage, and it does increase sound (how much seems to depend on each person's tolerance for noise) and side blast. But it's the best thing going right now that is NJ legal.

So, from what I am reading here, A2 style is a FH?

I wanted to buy this, but now I may not because it has a A2 FH!! :x

OTH, could buy it and then replace the A2 with something that's legal?

So, from what I am reading here, A2 style is a FH?

I wanted to buy this, but now I may not because it has a A2 FH!! :x

OTH, could buy it and then replace the A2 with something that's legal?

Yep... not a problem. Just take it off and put the new one on and get it pinned.

I meant to say I plan to buy the "Adams Arms Complete 5.45x39 16" Piston Upper" that comes w/ a A2 FH.

So, which compensators are NJ legal that are not deafening loud? Anyone with experience with few varieties would help!

I may plan to ship my upper to ADCO to get A2 FH removed and a new one pinned, or get it done locally.

I meant to say I plan to buy the "Adams Arms Complete 5.45x39 16" Piston Upper" that comes w/ a A2 FH.

So, which compensators are NJ legal that are not deafening loud? Anyone with experience with few varieties would help!

I may plan to ship my upper to ADCO to get A2 FH removed and a new one pinned, or get it done locally.

Dude, YHM Phantom Comp/Muzzle Brake. It's cheap, well-built, looks good, minimizes both flash and sound.