theRU

Great Website Check It out!

Let me also add that its the only thing that your tax dollars are helping to support that has any chance of actually paying dividends. If you were anyway involved in the state university you would know that Rutgers has had its state funding slashed year after year, and the only hope for the school to support itself and reduce the tax burden is a successfull football program... Just look at Michigan, ohio st., texas, bama to see what i'm talking about.

You sir are ignorant

Maybe he just doesn't like seeing his tax dollars going to non-educational purposes. I am am alumni and long time Rutgers Football season ticket holder. It is one thing for a state to fund an academic institution to provide a hi quality, low cost education for its citizens. It's another to throw it at a college sports team, especially when it proves to be to the detriment of academics and other less popular sports programs. The money going to Rutgers football has forced the school to classes, sports, and turn several long time sports into intramural clubs. Rutgers had one of the first crew teams in the U.S. We used to race against Princeton and U Penn. Because of football, crew is an afterthought in the pursuit of the almighty dollar (i.e Bowl games and ticket sales). We are also doing a disservice to the 99% of these players that will not go on to the NFL by depriving them of a college experience (i.e. segregating them from regular students in their living arrangements, allowing them to take special dummy "athlete" classes, etc) and allowing many of them to leave Rutgers with a substandard education. As much as I like the idea that Rutgers is now competitive on a national level, I wish the school had gone a different way and decided that academic integrity was more important than sports success. I used to have a good a time watching Rutgers play Colgate. The product wasn't as refined as it is now, but at least Rutgers was fulfilling its mission to educate.

Im sure Xanadu was a better use of his money.. also stop using the "football killed other sports" arguement because thats false as well.

Are athletic dept. fund limited? Yes, so sacrifices had to be made. If you are sorry to see other sports get axed, complain to the Politicians who keep cutting funding.

Want to do some research???? look up how many sports Texas or USC or Michigan or Ohio St. have, and then look up their athletic budgets. Their budgets are double what RU has, yet fund nearly the same amount of sports!!!!!!!!

One last bit of info...lets just assume that the entire budget of the athletic dept is tax payer money... then We the people contributed 50 Million to support sports in 2008.

From the RU website:

"Over the past five years, outside revenue generated by the athletics program has jumped 101 percent

Im sure Xanadu was a better use of his money.. also stop using the "football killed other sports" arguement because thats false as well.

Are athletic dept. fund limited? Yes, so sacrifices had to be made. If you are sorry to see other sports get axed, complain to the Politicians who keep cutting funding.

Want to do some research???? look up how many sports Texas or USC or Michigan or Ohio St. have, and then look up their athletic budgets. Their budgets are double what RU has, yet fund nearly the same amount of sports!!!!!!!!

You present several false choices as an argument.

First of all, I don't think you will find many people here on this board that support the state investing in retail malls. I know I made the call that it would be a boondoggle. My only mistake was in underestimating how bad it would be.

Also, other states poor use of their tax payer's money does not justify my less poor use of tax payer's money. It certainly does not justify Rutgers asking for more money because it uses it more efficiently than other schools.

My point is that college athletics have their place, and I believe that its place has been elevated above where it should be. Rutgers Football is trying to keep up with the Jones', and the rest of the Rutgers community is paying the price. Because it's a moneymaker, football has been allowed to elbow out other legitimate sports competing for available dollars. Saying that Rutgers should receive more taxpayer money to restore the cut programs is also a false choice. How about Rutgers Football makes do with what it has, or (already receiving the lion's share of the athletic funds) take a little less to preserve other sports from the states funding cuts. While Rutgers football has brought in money to offset its total expense, it clearly has not been enough to stave off these program cuts in other areas. You are correct about sacrifices having been made. I think they were the wrong ones.

We agree to disagree. At the same time i cant help but feel that if the state announced tomorrow it was investing in shooting ranges around the state you would have absolutely no problems with that.

Betcha didn't see this coming when you posted that web site! I love a good deabte no matter what the subject.

CPR RC Engineering '94

No i did not..i just thought it was a good site. Nothing peaves me more tho then people spitting out false information. I see lunkers point, however he contructs his argument first by stating that RU axed sports in favor of football and that was a poor decision, but his end point seems to be that taxes shouldnt funds sports at all. So while he wants more athletics at the school he doesnt want to pay for them. I wonder how he would feel if i demanded the same of his finances.

We agree to disagree. At the same time i cant help but feel that if the state announced tomorrow it was investing in shooting ranges around the state you would have absolutely no problems with that.

My statement that I am a season ticket holder should've given away that I don't agree with throwing money even at things I enjoy or would benefit from.

Money, especially government money, never comes without strings attached.

That said, maybe I'll see you in the Blue Lot this fall.

It can be hell trying to get out of there after the game. I feel no shame when the college kids start yelling "Beat the traffic" when me and my friends leave a blowout in the beginning of the fourth quarter.