Sign in to follow this  
savageshooter

Paperwork Inheriting Dad's service revolver, no will

Quick question for anyone having knowledge of this kind of transfer:

My Dad passed away last year, and was a NYC Police Officer (retired 25 years ago). He didn't leave a will.

I called his wife on his birthday yesterday, and she mentioned his guns. She recently found his off duty revolver stashed somewhere, and will keep it for herself., but she said that she wants me to have his service revolver (from 1961 when he joined the force), and I'm thinking about going down to Florida next month to see her, and also help her along with the FFL transfer of that revolver to the range I'm a member of.

My question is; will a certificate of eligibility work for this transfer, being that it was not mentioned in his will? I'm 99% sure that I have to go the Purchase Permit route with this one. I'm OK with that, but hey, if I could save a permit, what they heck. This is more of a sentimental piece than a range gun. Oh yeah, I'll probably shoot it on occasion, but it will really just be something special to have from him. I remember him taking me to the range when I was little, and this was the gun he shot with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

My condolences on your dad's passing.

By my views, and I'm definitely not a lawyer, the gun and all inheritance passes to your mom. That makes her the owner of said revolver.

For her to transfer it to you, this would be a purchase thing, and you would of course have to transfer to FFL and use one of your PP.

If your Dad had a will and specified you as the beneficiary for said revolver, I don't believe you would need the PP.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I went through a similar situation. My step-dad passed last year without a will and all possesions including his firearms went to my mom. She transferred a revolver to me on a pistol permit. Certificate of elgibility is only for long guns.

Since she's out of state, it will have to be transferred through a FFL in NJ.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I went through a similar situation. My step-dad passed last year without a will and all possesions including his firearms went to my mom. She transferred a revolver to me on a pistol permit. Certificate of elgibility is only for long guns.

Since she's out of state, it will have to be transferred through a FFL in NJ.

What Rick said.

Quick question for anyone having knowledge of this kind of transfer:

My Dad passed away last year, and was a NYC Police Officer (retired 25 years ago). He didn't leave a will.

I called his wife on his birthday yesterday, and she mentioned his guns. She recently found his off duty revolver stashed somewhere, and will keep it for herself., but she said that she wants me to have his service revolver (from 1961 when he joined the force), and I'm thinking about going down to Florida next month to see her, and also help her along with the FFL transfer of that revolver to the range I'm a member of.

My question is; will a certificate of eligibility work for this transfer, being that it was not mentioned in his will? I'm 99% sure that I have to go the Purchase Permit route with this one. I'm OK with that, but hey, if I could save a permit, what they heck. This is more of a sentimental piece than a range gun. Oh yeah, I'll probably shoot it on occasion, but it will really just be something special to have from him. I remember him taking me to the range when I was little, and this was the gun he shot with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Items not specified in a will need are transferred to the legal heir. Since that would be the wife in this case, to legally transfer it you're going to have to get a pistol permit and transfer it properly through an FFL from her to you.

It's too bad you didn't live in Florida. You father could have transferred the gun to you as a gift at any time.

Check this out...unless things have drastically changed, I think you're covered.

http://njgunpermitattorney.com/2009/02/ ... ew-jersey/

a permit to purchase a handgun or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required of an heir or legatee for the passing of a firearm, upon the death of its owner.

He is neither.