Sign in to follow this  
sirsloop

Fort Dix Range14

I'm possibly going down to shoot at FtDix range14 tomorrow. I understand the generals about membership, admission, the range, but I'm not sure about targets. I realize you need to bring your own targets, but what all is provided at the range? Should I be packing sticks, cardboard, stapegun, and paper targets? How random stuff like watermelons, soda cans, water jugs, osama bin laden pinatas, other random crap like that? Whats the minimum pistol range? 15-20yrds? I'm assuming shotgun is allowed? I'm assuming its the same minimum range for those? Is prone shooting allowed or feasible? How about holstered pistols? Allowed to make ready at the line and draw from the holster?

thx!

I'm possibly going down to shoot at FtDix range14 tomorrow. I understand the generals about membership, admission, the range, but I'm not sure about targets. I realize you need to bring your own targets, but what all is provided at the range? Should I be packing sticks, cardboard, stapegun, and paper targets? How random stuff like watermelons, soda cans, water jugs, osama bin laden pinatas, other random crap like that? Whats the minimum pistol range? 15-20yrds? I'm assuming shotgun is allowed? I'm assuming its the same minimum range for those? Is prone shooting allowed or feasible? How about holstered pistols? Allowed to make ready at the line and draw from the holster?

thx!

They sell targets there ($3 per I believe)-- the type with a stand. They also provide post-hole diggers... though, you can of course bring your own stuff. One of the big no-no's is glass, and that's all I can think of. Steel targets are allowed, as are basically anything that isn't glass ( ;) ). As for posting your own targets, again, its up to you. Aside from selling targets and providing a post-hole digger, you have to provide the rest (whether its a staple gun, glue, etc).

I've seen people put targets up for the pistol at around 10 yards or so (my buddy did just the other day, and we were positioned right in front of the Range master building-- and the didn't say anything). There is also the dedicated pistol range, but I've never shot there so I can't comment. Shotguns are allowed (I asked the same question). The range master will just constantly remind people to pick up their spent shells after they're done.

Prone shooting is allowed and feasible. Some benches have a hard top, some don't. But if you want to shoot from the deck, go for it. You can also bring something to lay on (some people here prefer that). As for it being feasible, definitely. Between benches, there is around 15 yards or so-- point being that you can practice really an assortment of different positions without worry of encroaching someone's space.

I don't know about shooting from the hip or holstering. My friend holsters, but without a magazine or round chambered (and I tell him not to do that even). I have seen others holster, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone fire from the draw. You'd have to ask someone else about that.

ETA: Bring water! Or some kind of liquid. With how the weather's been, and how its looking to be in the near future-- it gets pretty hot out there. I would even recommend a cover (head wear) and possibly some SPF-30 if you're sensitive to the sun. Reason being there is no shading except for the tiny overhead on the benches (which is really there as a novelty). You can of course back up your vehicle to the line practically-- it helps with keeping your beverages cold, etc.

Lol... I have a 10x10 pop up tent... I should set that bad boy up! As far as pistol... yeah I would clear it, safety on, holstered without a mag just like you would at a shooting competition. Only time its out or got a mag is at the firing line making ready to shoot. Its not a big deal if that's not allowed, but I always take the opportunity to get better at clean safe drawing and holstering.

I was thinking about bringing a camera to setup in front of the firing line. Its got a wireless shutter release so I could get some cool pics from in front. Set it up before shooting, an just don't shoot at it. LOL! Probably something else a range master will need to answer?

Btw, ya looks like we're going down tomorrow. The other range possibility fell through.

I might be there tomorrow afternoon as well. I need to get the soon-to-be babies room painted, or at least started.

I bring a realestate type sign that i have, metal frame and i cut out some plastic and cardboard inserts for. I staple my targets to that. Bring some eggs, coconuts, melons, water jugs, cd's, kids toys, whatever you want to shoot, like bbk said, no glass.. there was a guy next to us on sunday shooting from a holster, but i would recommend when they call a cease fire (green flag) to put the pistol on the table and only have it on you when the range is hot (red flag).

They expect you to clean all this shot up debris before you leave correct? I mean if you shoot a bunch of eggs and crap you don't just leave it to rot?

You can leave the food (fruits and veggies out there).

You do have to pick up all the other crap that you can shoot, bottles, wood, etc.