sirsloop

Range 14 Sunday July 11th

I got there around 1 and got right on the range and shot for a few hours. Historically i've always gone in the morning only to have to get in line and wait forever after the early morning crowd if you don't form a line before the doors even open. Lately i've found that after lunch, all the old timers, fudds, err, hunters, and whoever else crowd dissipates and there is lanes to spare.

The wife got me up at the crack of dawn, so I got there at 7:15 with a hot cup of coffee and sub... had a nice little breakfast watching the sun come up over the range on the front deck. I would not want to be running around there at 1pm with the heat, that's for sure! Even in the morning, we were gettin it pretty bad. Granted half of us had black shirts on. I think everyone had a really great time. I came home watched the first 50 laps of the Nascar race, fell asleep, then woke up with 1 lap to go. HAH!

After shooting that 1903 Springfield, I really got a grasp on how rudimentary the iron sights on the Mosin are. That 1903... man... you can put that front pin RIGHT where you want it and send one down 200yrs into the steel. When you are shooting the M44... the front sight is like 4 times as wide as anything at 200 yards. There is a lot of guesswork involved. I will say that I nailed steel 2nd try standing unsupported with it!! Lucky shot? HA! I was also surprised on how little the 1903 kicked compared to the m44. IDK what the difference is... bout the same weight and similar bullet.

Both that .17HMR Savage (93R17BTVS?) and .204 Ruger Remington (XR-100?) were fine rifles. Lots of fun to shoot... and definitely wet my tongue (more) for a super high velocity modern rifle with a scope. That .204 Ruger... man... 4200fps! Damn! I only got a few rounds with that .308, but again... fine rifle and a lot of fun to shoot. Tony started to load up the AR for me...I'm counting 5, 10, 15, 25...lol. I'm like... wtf dude.. how many you puttin in that thing!! HAHAH! Then I found out hes a dealer! HAH! That was the first time for me on an AR, and using a red dot. Certainly accurate... I think with that thing you REALLY have to have good trigger control. I found it relatively easy to move it around... probably maybe due to overall weight. I was telling my wife about that .204 and she's like... so when are you getting one? BWAHAHAH!

As far as our table went... I brought the M44, my 870 express, and my 9mm Taurus PT-99. Kirby (tapout shirt), has only shot a few times at shoreshot. Kelly grew up shooting as a kid with her father, but hadn't shot in years. Leo (russian accent), grew up in, guess, Russia! and has done some shooting with his family. I think he mentioned that he was trained, in school, at like age 13 on the AK47! HAHAH! I had the video camera going, but I guess it turned off or some crap while it was out there? IDK... when I left it it was recording but no video was found memory card empty :( Pics are up at the link below. Got a couple pics with people with the 870 and 3" Mag slugs. Those are always a kick to shoot (har har). Last time I did a lot more picture taking... this time it was a lot more shooting and making sure people at my table were not doing anything unsafe.

http://photos.tallmanphoto.com/Miscella ... 7283_7AojB

Was it you Chris that brought that steel target? I gotta get one of those... I few places I saw wanted like 200 bucks or somethin. Where did you get yours?

Thanks again guys for letting my friends and I shoot all of your rifles. Awesome stuff that's gonna hurt my bank account soon! HA

PS, Tony.... you forgot your shooting bag and a half box of .17 on our table... I guess missed it with all of the empty ammo boxes and stripper clips all over the place. I have it in my car.

JD,

The Ruger 204 was a Remington XR-100. They are hard to find these days since they're no longer made. If you are looking at a 1903 Springfield, be sure to get the A3 version since it has the peep sights. The 308 was a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine.

Here is the where I got my steel target. The decent sized ones range from $35-$60. I bought a piece of rebar and bent it into a U shape, then bought some plastic wrapped cable and some cable clamps. The only problem I ever have with mine is I have to keep repairing the cables.

http://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=16|49|890

The alternative is these guys. I haven't bought anything from them, but I have heard good things. I like that the mount is just a bolt through the center.

http://www.arntzentargets.com/index.htm