flyingcowofdoom

laws as they apply to pump action shotguns

I'm shopping around for a Mossberg 500, and I'm having trouble determining what makes a shotgun illegal or not. I checked the list of "assault" firearms and it's not on it, so that's good. The statute defines an "assault" shotgun as "3. A semi-automatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a folding stock or a pistol grip;"

I couldn't find any mention of the term pump-action in the statute. Are pump-action shotguns considered to be semi-automatic? I'm assuming they are, so I guess I am limited to the standard fixed stock model. Is a black synthetic stock legal or is it too scary looking?

--FCOD

"Sawed-off shotgun" means any shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length measured from the

breach to the muzzle, or a rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length measured from the breach to

the muzzle, or any firearm made from a rifle or a shotgun, whether by alteration, or otherwise, if such firearm as modified

has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

it needs an 18" barrel... and cannot be shorter than 26". It cannot have a 17.9999999999999" barrel and be 25.9999999999". People say 18.5" to ensure full compliance with the law. Whatever else you want is ok... maybe short of like a nuclear tipped grenade launcher or something crazy...

that one looks nice only thing is the stock has to be pinned since its a collapsible only thing thats why i went with the top folding stock but i like that one as well its sweet

you are confusing semi-auto rifle/shotgun law with (the lack of) pump shotgun law. You can do just about anything to a pump as long as its the legal size.

+1. The minimum length laws (18" barrel, 26" overall) is actually a federal law which NJ mimics, AFAIK.

This isn't a legal thing, but Mossbergs and pistol grips don't go well together. I know lots of people do it, but getting to the tang mounted safety becomes quite a bit trickier with a pistol grip. You're much better off getting a Remington if you want a pistol grip on a pump shotgun IMHO.

This isn't a legal thing, but Mossbergs and pistol grips don't go well together. I know lots of people do it, but getting to the tang mounted safety becomes quite a bit trickier with a pistol grip. You're much better off getting a Remington if you want a pistol grip on a pump shotgun IMHO.

Yeah, I am aware of that issue, but the other reasons why I want the Mossberg outweigh the safety's location for me.

--FCOD

IMHO just a pistol grips on any shotgun are not really a good thing. Turns a perfectly good scatter gun into an inaccurate unitasker.

at what range.. I have JUST a pistol grip on my Mossberg and it works just fine for what I would use it for..

Well... I guess if you want a 12 gauge to throw in your closet then ok. If you want a gun that you will actually shoot on occasion then I would leave a stock on it. As it is now, I can leave my 870 in my closet and still shoot crooks if they walk through my bedroom door. Sure it may not be as good for clearing a house, but I'm not clearing my house. i"m calling the cops and staying in the bedroom where I have a tactical advantage and a fatal funnel to shoot through. When I'm not shooting crooks in my bedroom I can use the thing for clays, hunting, target, breaking in my noob friends with 3" mag slugs... you know...all the OTHER things a shotgun should be used for.

ya oops my bad i thought collapsible stocks were illegal on all firearms in NJ disregard me and no pistol grips work great on shotguns you can still shoot clays with them but if you have a 18.5 in barrel that is only improved cylinder (which is how those barrels come) why would you be using it to shoot trap anyway? you would want to use a 28 in barrel

Well... I guess if you want a 12 gauge to throw in your closet then ok. If you want a gun that you will actually shoot on occasion then I would leave a stock on it. As it is now, I can leave my 870 in my closet and still shoot crooks if they walk through my bedroom door. Sure it may not be as good for clearing a house, but I'm not clearing my house. i"m calling the cops and staying in the bedroom where I have a tactical advantage and a fatal funnel to shoot through. When I'm not shooting crooks in my bedroom I can use the thing for clays, hunting, target, breaking in my noob friends with 3" mag slugs... you know...all the OTHER things a shotgun should be used for.

i dont shoot clays.. hunt.. or target shoot with my shotgun.. it has one purpose.. to neutralize anything within a 15 yard distance, and to do it in ONE shot.. even with the pistol grip the firearm can accomplishes that without issue.. and is still small enough to easily maneuver.. yeah ideally you wait in the room.. call 911, but in real life ideally doesn't always happen...