NJJim

Why? Mosin Nagants and their relatives.

than a M44 or 91/30? big difference...

More than whatever I shot Friday night. I have no idea what it was. They just insisted I shoot it and frankly I was disappointed, it was kinda tame.:p Maks, what was it? It looked like a 7.62 x 54 cartridge. Is there a larger caliber $80.00 Mosin?

More than whatever I shot Friday night. I have no idea what it was. They just insisted I shoot it and frankly I was disappointed, it was kinda tame.:p Maks, what was it? It looked like a 7.62 x 54 cartridge. Is there a larger caliber $80.00 Mosin?

it was a 91/30

You should have gotten the other one. Today I cleaned mine (the one you shoot) looks real nice and it is ready to fire all that surplus can down range :D I'll let you try it again next time I see you in CJ.

Oh well.. at least you shot it.. ;)

To each his own..

I don't currently have a mosin, but I appreciate them..

I haven't shot one side by side so I don't know for sure. I figured the muzzle velocity on a 91/30 would be greater due to greater utilization of the powder.

Negligable velocity difference. In looking up the weights, the 91/30 and m44 are nearly identical in weight, actually. Its the M38 thats nearly 1.5 pounds lighter than the 91//30. Using that with identical loads will yield this:

Recoil pulse: 2.62 lbs/sec seconds for both

Recoil velocity in FPS: 9.6 (91/30) 11.27 (m38)

Free recoil energy in ft/lbs: 12.6 (91/30) 14.79 (m38)