Radek

What's a good scope for a Mosin?

Just bought a Mosin 91/30, my first.

What's the recommended scope specifications for this rifle? The rifle came with a rail mount, but it's going to be a bit forward than a drill and tapped receiver ...

Something like this?

Do I need a mount that goes rearward? I am new with the Mosin, so any guidance would be appreciated!

I can't seem to locate a pic for the mount that came with it ... so, let me describe it. I bought it from LibertyOrDeath on the forum, so he will know.

The mount has a thin and flat metal loop under it that will go under the receiver (the fat portion just behind the main barrel) and will clamp-on. The rail itself goes towards the rear about 5" from the loop mount. The mount's parts are all attached to each other using Allen bolts and looks sturdy enough. I hope it's not going to be similar to flaky SKS scope mounts on the receiver cover!

The mount rail is not far enough back to allow a full field of view into a 3-9x40 scope (for example). I haven't shot the rifle yet, but I would imagine it has a decent kick, so I guess a 3.5-4" eye relief would be needed for safety for the eyes. So, this means the mount rail has to be father back than the one that came w/ rifle.

What mount do you use on your Mosin?