Caine

SKS bolt question

I know there are some SKS aficionados on here, and I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a question for me.

I've been looking at Russian SKSs and I've noticed that some of them have chrome bolts and some of them have bolts that seem to be coated black.

Example 1:

pix1722504031.jpg

Example 2:

SKS05.jpg

Were all the bolts black at one point, but over time the coating wore off?

Also, while we're on the subject, does anyone have any good online sources for SKS info?

Non refurbs bring a higher price because they are original all numbers matching as they left the arsenal. I prefer non refurbs, but wouldn't hesitate on a refurb if the price was right.

to add to that:

A refurb COULD be numbers matching, either original matching or forced matched. Check out the number stampings. See if they are stamped over previous stamps or if they seem to be stamped over a slightly ground down depression. That would mean the previous serial number was ground out and then force matched. Even if its force matched, its an "original" refurb meaning the parts were matched up at the arsenal and isnt some hack job.

Refurbished SKS's will have a square box with a diagonal line through it on the receiver cover over the year. There is a second type of re-finish mark that is similar but is diamond shaped with the point going up towards the muzzle. You can also find the mark on the stock as well. The Gunbroker rifle is at an angle so you cannot see the mark very well if it is there, maybe purposely so. It does however look refinished. Some were re-blued while others were given some sort of paint job which would include the bolt carrier and bayonet. The GB rifle definitely looks painted. I have a 1951 Russian Tula with no refurb mark on the cover, but it has a mark on the stock. The rifle has been re-blued and the bolt carrier is bright and shiny. Bayonet is blued as well. All numbers match. The bore also looks brand new. I think you will find them re-furbed in many different ways. I would stick to the Russian models if you can find them. They are going up in value, re-furbed or not. Check out this site, plenty of good info: http://www.yooperj.com/

I have a romanian, and a chinese all matching.. the romanian is not matching but i shoot it all the time and also has chrome lined barrel.

the chinese is the all matching still in cosmo never fired milled reciever..

the chinese also make one that has a sheetmetal reciever which they say is not as strong as the milled or cast recievers..

yoopers site is great..

also have this site..

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php