Babaganoosh

My new 500

So I saw a Mossberg 500 for sale on here and tried to jump on it. 2nd in line. DOH. Maybe its just not meant to be and I'll keep my money in my bank account. Talking to a guy at work and ask him how he likes his. He offers to sell it to me for $200. Now my interest level just went up again. Should I? Shouldn't I? Call my cousin and he says might as well buy new for approx 250, and that he is setting up a whole tactical shotgun course tomm (Today). Oh man well I'll just head over to Dicks and buy some ammo and use my Rem 1100 even though its far from tactical. Go to the counter to ask the guy to unlock the cage for me, the clouds part and a ray of sunshine comes in and shines on a Mossberg 500 Persuader. Hmmm what is that ya got there? May I see it? OH this is nice. 7+1 capacity you say? "I'll take it"!!!

The mossy, 4 boxes of ammo, 3 boxes of ammo for the 9mm (Its on sale for 11.98) An ammo box since my Mosin ammo is currently sitting in a Costco sized macaroni and cheese box, and one Nics check later and I am out the door 400 bucks lighter but with nice smile on my face.

Oh yeah and for the people who get paid paid every other week. This is one of the two "magic months" a year where you get paid 3 times in one month. Doesn't even affect my bank account then! Even better.

So heres 2 pics. I think I want a pressure activated light. Any suggestions for that or in general?

post-2164-037006000 1287230879_thumb.jpg

post-2164-025755300 1287230890_thumb.jpg

Home defense and plinking (is it still called plinking if your using a 12 gauge shotty)I have a traditional Remington 1100 for hunting and skeet/trap.

I do a lot of shooting on my familes private property so I get to set up stuff that you cant at a normal range. You name it, I can shoot it. Bulk pickup days always have lots of fun stuff to shoot at. Tv's, Refrigerator door, pots and pans, pretty much anything. You can pick up 24 cans of seltzer or soda at ALDI for about 3 bucks. Apples, cantaloupes, watermelons, pumpkins. Potatoes are actually a lot of fun to shoot.

So I guess you could say that it is a home defense/fun gun.

Bulk pickup days always have lots of fun stuff to shoot at. Tv's, Refrigerator door, pots and pans, pretty much anything. You can pick up 24 cans of seltzer or soda at ALDI for about 3 bucks. Apples, cantaloupes, watermelons, pumpkins. Potatoes are actually a lot of fun to shoot.

i think we need to be friends.

Be aware of the safety pressure. If it has a random detent firmness it means the screw is coming loose. You can pretty much be sure that if it does anything different from tic-ing on or off that screw is on its way out.

This was hard for me to notice at first with my new 500. The spring for the detent is pretty strong so it pushes the slide up against the screw head, making it look like the screw has not worked loose.

Press the safety down. If it can be pushed down it needs to be tightend. If it gets loose enough the ball on top of the spring will pop out and you will have no detent, making the safety come on after every shot.

This seems to be a problem from the plant with some 500's. Mossberg seems to be against loc-tite on that screw, but I am not.

Bulpup- I did notice that the safety is a piece of **** plastic part. Anyone make a steel one?

Steph- Fine with me, meet up and go shooting sometime. Holmdel is pretty close anyway. I do my fun shooting in howell.

edit. heres a vid my buddy made of us shooting some fruit.

Bulpup- I did notice that the safety is a piece of **** plastic part. Anyone make a steel one?

Steph- Fine with me, meet up and go shooting sometime. Holmdel is pretty close anyway. I do my fun shooting in howell.

edit. heres a vid my buddy made of us shooting some fruit.

Mossberg used to as mine has a metal safety. Try one of the replacement gun parts dealers like Brownells or Numrich.

I went to a range in Hawaii with my wifes family to show them some guns and the 500 they had had that very problem. The safety would automatically engage and you had to hold it on "fire" to shot.

But what djg0770 said, give Brownells a look-see.

It does look pretty sweet though, good luck homie!

I went to a range in Hawaii with my wifes family to show them some guns and the 500 they had had that very problem. The safety would automatically engage and you had to hold it on "fire" to shot.

Happened to my friend's Mossberg 500 when we were out shooting skeet one day. We used duct tape. Yeah. We were hillbillies that day. Worked though. :)

If you can tell it is plastic you need to tighten it now. I bought a metal one from Brownell's and I can't tell the difference at all once it is at the proper tightness. I only noticed it was plastic once it started coming loose. Grasp the safety with your middle and index finger while pushing on the receiver opposite of them with your thumb. Squeeze the safety against the receiver and then tighten with a screwdriver.

500 safety at Brownells

It probably will come loose again, so dont bother with loc-tite until you get the metal one. Notice that the metal one is sold out at Brownells.