MedicYeti

AK and 922

I am not an AK guy but I have recently had the opportunity to shoot a friends and I like it. I did a little reading about 922 compliance and AK' and I am not completely clear about the law. If I go into a local store and buy a Russian built Saga, I can shoot it as I is without modification. But if I choose to change anything about it I then have to make the minal requirement of US parts to be permitted to shoot it. Is this a correct summery? If I change the furniture does that play into compliance?

Medic Yeti

If you buy a Saiga, as imported, you can do whatever to it as long as you do not add a pistol grip or magazines over 10 rounds. If you add a pistol grip or magazines over ten rounds, you must add/remove other parts so that the final configuration has no more than ten foreign parts. If you decided to convert your saiga, using a US made stock, pistol grip, and FCG would satisfy 922r requirements.

here's website where you can check if your parts list makes you 922r compliant:

http://thegunwiki.co...erifyCompliance

and here's the topic in the saiga forum that specifically discusses the parts list and 922r compliance of Saiga rifles when doing a "restoration":

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=18530&st=0

The above post is correct. Basically, the gist is this...

If you take an imported rifle out of its "sporterized" configuration, it can then have a maximum of 10 or fewer foreign made parts (with parts being defined by US Gov). That is why you see people using Tapco grips, stocks, gas tubs, etc to swap out foreign made parts and bring the gun into compliance. For the Saiga conversion (I did one on a Saiga 223), there are parts kits that can be used to bring the gun into compliance. I got mine from www.CarolinaShootersSupply.com.

Here is a link to an older post that shows 922R compliance sites.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18499-ak-conversion-compliance-with-922r/

What is the point of this 922 law by the way?

to keep America free of guns that LOOK scary...

if you buy a Saiga.. convert it.. the factory FCG is garbage.. and the weapon will be far more balanced post conversion..

great gun I own one in 7.62 and love it.. what caliber are you looking at?

I am considering 223. I already have AR's as well as a lot of old military rifles, I don't really wantto open up another caliber I was also thinking about the AR mag covversion. But at this point I have a few projects and don't want to get into another until I complete a few. That's part of the reason I asked aboth the conversion. I don't wan to buy something hat requires a lot of modification at the mement.

I am considering 223. I already have AR's as well as a lot of old military rifles, I don't really wantto open up another caliber I was also thinking about the AR mag covversion. But at this point I have a few projects and don't want to get into another until I complete a few. That's part of the reason I asked aboth the conversion. I don't wan to buy something hat requires a lot of modification at the mement.

If you come to Fort Dix on Saturday, I sold my converted 223 Saiga to another forum member and will be transferring it then. I am pretty sure he'd let you try it out.

the conversion is easy and I am in Atlantic county.. more than willing to help if you go that route.. I am in that same spot as far as caliber.. I am considering selling my 7.62x39.. as much as I love it.. I am considering the 223 as well since I may pick up another AR.. but it is hard to convince myself to get rid of the 7.62.. something about it just makes it really fun to shoot.. lol