kind of off topic but, can cops substitute their issued weapon for a choice of their liking? Ex. NJSP are issued p228's can they instead carry around a glock?

I'm pretty sure that they are offered a choice for their off duty carry weapons. Duty weapon? Don't know, maybe an LEO will chime in.

North Bergen Police in Hudson County

When I got hired in 1986 we all carried either Smith and Wesson or Colt .38's or .357 mag with round nose .38 rounds. We were allowed to carry j frame 5 shots for off duty and Colt Detective Specials. I carried a Smith Model 686 in 4 inch. (I still have it)

In 1989 the entire Dept (At our own expense, but we get a Weapon Maintaince allowence) We switched to Sig Sauer P225's in 9mm. The Chief at the time concluded we could not be trusted with the higher capacity P226's becuase when Officers dischared thier wepaons the usually emptied thier magazines. (Great logic, right) in the late 90's the new recriuts were haveing trouble locating new 225's as Sig stopped producing them. So we were allowed to purchase 228's in 9mm and 229 in .40. Most guys except the girls and palin clothes guys went for the .40.

Off duty we can carry Sig P230, P232's Walther PPK and PPK/s any J frame form Smith and Glock 26 & 27's.

Now that I'm retired I can carry what I want. I alternate between a Ruger LCR, a hard chrome P7 with wood grips, a J frame with a Crimson Trace and a Glock 26.

When I get a bug in my a**, I purchase the latest and greatest but usually go back to one of these.

• Like 1

Good info Stuntman22, thanks for posting. These things interest me.

Back in the 60's, I think my Dad had a choice of either a Colt or S&W snubby for off duty. He chose the Colt Detective Special and kept it in beautiful condition. His wife has kept that gun for herself. I have the Model 10, and enjoy shooting it.

kind of off topic but, can cops substitute their issued weapon for a choice of their liking? Ex. NJSP are issued p228's can they instead carry around a glock?

i would say that 90+% are either issued their firearm, or if they have to purchase they are told "You have to buyt THIS Model and Caliber" the other 10% are given a VERY limited choice, usually in one caliber. For Off-duty, again it depends Agency to agency with varying standards, My Agency only allows .380, 9mm, .40, .45. Make and model are by choice within reason, but our Armoer only authorized "Major" makers. ohter departments limit to you specific models, there isnt any "universal" standard across the state as to what can be carried. Retired officers can only carry the firearm they Qualify with.

North Bergen Police in Hudson County

When I got hired in 1986 we all carried either Smith and Wesson or Colt .38's or .357 mag with round nose .38 rounds. We were allowed to carry j frame 5 shots for off duty and Colt Detective Specials. I carried a Smith Model 686 in 4 inch. (I still have it)

In 1989 the entire Dept (At our own expense, but we get a Weapon Maintaince allowence) We switched to Sig Sauer P225's in 9mm. The Chief at the time concluded we could not be trusted with the higher capacity P226's becuase when Officers dischared thier wepaons the usually emptied thier magazines. (Great logic, right) in the late 90's the new recriuts were haveing trouble locating new 225's as Sig stopped producing them. So we were allowed to purchase 228's in 9mm and 229 in .40. Most guys except the girls and palin clothes guys went for the .40.

Off duty we can carry Sig P230, P232's Walther PPK and PPK/s any J frame form Smith and Glock 26 & 27's.

Now that I'm retired I can carry what I want. I alternate between a Ruger LCR, a hard chrome P7 with wood grips, a J frame with a Crimson Trace and a Glock 26.

When I get a bug in my a**, I purchase the latest and greatest but usually go back to one of these.

You seem......Familiar :icon_mrgreen: Started in 87 here.

NJ State Correctional Officers carry the H&K USP in .40 S&W.

Didnt think corrections officers were issued any weapons seeing that they dont carry them while on duty. The corrections officers I know purchased their own off duty & do not carry within the prison.

As far as the NJSP, I believe it comes down the the graduating class as to what weapon they were issued. I know the classes that went through in 2004 have 9mm sig 226. As for off duty its up to them.

-Scott