DevsAdvocate

Update: It Broke today... - JUST IN! MY mossberg 930!!!!!!

There are different variations of the SPX. The pistol grip version is illegal in NJ, but the standard 930 SPX is A-OK.

To my knowledge, it isn't. Unless you buy one with a capped magazine tube. But SPXs are not offered with anything lower than the 7-shot tube they have. So you'd either have to modify one, or buy a regular 930 with an 18.5" and put new sights on it.

Guest tAKticool

I'm not sure where you're going with this because I bought a off-the-shelf 930 SPX and had Choate make me a +1 mag ext. and then I changed the +3, so if you think that makes me not having a 930 SPX I mean whatever lets you sleep at night, but yeah, it's a 930 SPX from Dick's , then with a Choate +1 , making it 5 +1 rather than 7 + 1.

And NJ's shotgun subsection says , "fixed magazine capacity in excess of 6 rounds" so 5+1 is all good.

Someone actually suggested I put a +2 on there and make the case that the "fixed magazine capacity" was 6, not including the chambered round, totaling 7, but I chose not to chance it because I was pretty happy having the Shotgun of the Year and 6 shots is plenty for me. I mean, 6 shots, plus a few on the stock, a shot belt, etc. if You are unable to fight off the bad guy in 6 rounds, he's probably got you anyway.

I'm not sure where you're going with this because I bought a off-the-shelf 930 SPX and had Choate make me a +1 mag ext. and then I changed the +3, so if you think that makes me not having a 930 SPX I mean whatever lets you sleep at night, but yeah, it's a 930 SPX from Dick's , then with a Choate +1 , making it 5 +1 rather than 7 + 1.

And NJ's shotgun subsection says , "fixed magazine capacity in excess of 6 rounds" so 5+1 is all good.

Someone actually suggested I put a +2 on there and make the case that the "fixed magazine capacity" was 6, not including the chambered round, totaling 7, but I chose not to chance it because I was pretty happy having the Shotgun of the Year and 6 shots is plenty for me. I mean, 6 shots, plus a few on the stock, a shot belt, etc. if You are unable to fight off the bad guy in 6 rounds, he's probably got you anyway.

What people are trying to say is that your current configuration is OK, but the store bought configuration was not in New Jersey. It would be illegal (putting aside Paul's idea about magazine restriction like for hunting) to own in New Jersey before you ever got the chance to "legalize" it. It is like the predicament people have with high capacity AR/AK mags here. You cannot legally own them in New Jersey, so you have committed a crime by simply taking possession of the unmodified magazine here before you ever get a chance to modify it and make it legal. What most people do is purchase and modify the mag out-of-state, then bring it into Jersey once NJ-legal. This way, no voiolation has occurred.

Took it out to PA with me today, loaded it with some 3" magnum 000 buck (1240fps). Fired 7 shots through it before it would fire no more.

Me thinks it's a firing pin issue... because it shot fine, but then the hammer would drop and nothing would happen. I chambered a new shell, still nothing. Chambered again... and nothing. Just a *click*.

Tried 2.75" shell... loaded 3 of them in... first one went boom. Rest went *click* upon cycling the action.

Will call Mossberg on Monday.

FYI: this shotgun is advertised to be capable of shooting factory loaded 3" magnum shells. It says so on the barrel and in the manual.

I think I figured it out... the gas piston got stuck. Would not reset properly... could it possibly be a result of cold weather?

Addendum: gas piston is jammed up tight on the magazine tube. Can't get it or the barrel off... gun is still fooking cold though.

To my knowledge, it isn't. Unless you buy one with a capped magazine tube. But SPXs are not offered with anything lower than the 7-shot tube they have. So you'd either have to modify one, or buy a regular 930 with an 18.5" and put new sights on it.

Yeah, I see that now. I went back and looked at the Mossberg site; for some reason I thought the SPX came with a 5+1 mag tube (I was pretty sure I saw one at Dick's in Deptford that was marked "SPX"). Maybe they did come that way at one point? Meh, whatever. Stupid NJ firearms laws...