Teky0101

Pistol Permit & Handgun Question - PRL-16

Hello Everyone,

I just had a quick question that I was hoping someone here could help me with. I have a Firearm Purchaser Permit and recently applied for handgun permit from my local police station. In the past the fee for this was simply 2.00 per permit issued. However, upon applying last week I was charged $18.00 for I believe a mental heath check which was paid VIA money order issued to the police. I was very confused over the fee and asked the permit issuer about this new charge. She told me that once everything comes back I will have everything I need to pickup my handgun from the gun shop. I then inquired if this fee was for the NICS Check or would I have to pay in addition to the $18.00 the NICS Check fee. Unfortunetly, the woman was new to the possition and did not know what a NICS Check was. Does anyone know if a NICS Check is required in addition to the $18.00 Mental Health Fee? I was also wondering if anyone knows a Keltec PRL-16 and is so are you pleased with your purchase?

The only problem I see are the examples they are using. I sure hope they have some regular joe schmo in there otherwise the people they are using as examples really won't help us regular citizens.

But none the less a step in the right direction, took ANJRPC freaking long enough tho

when applying for your initial fid and pp, you don't pay the $18 fee. It is a mental health check and everyone pays it. I have to apply for permits and I will have to pay it, I just pay via check though and my pd is okay with it.

after you get them back, I pay $2 per permit.

when applying for your initial fid and pp, you don't pay the $18 fee. It is a mental health check and everyone pays it.

Brian, that is incorrect. The $18 fee is for the criminal background check (in leiu of fingerprinting) - there is no charge for the mental health check. The reason you didn't pay this fee when you initially applied for the FPID is because you were fingerprinted and the fee you paid for that (I forget - $50 - $60??) includes a background check based on the prints. Once the prints are in the system, you need only go through a background check (the $18), not prints again. The $2 is for the P2P itself.

NICS is done at the Point of Purchase and is charged by the FFL delivering the firearm. The FFL is charged via a (900) phone number used to access NICS and it just shows up on their (the FFL's) phone bill.

Some police departments waive the $18 fee if you have had a background check within a specific period (6 months - 1 year). Not sure of the legality of that, but it's not like the police pay attention to the firearms laws anyway.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Brian, that is incorrect. The $18 fee is for the criminal background check (in leiu of fingerprinting) - there is no charge for the mental health check. The reason you didn't pay this fee when you initially applied for the FPID is because you were fingerprinted and the fee you paid for that (I forget - $50 - $60??) includes a background check based on the prints. Once the prints are in the system, you need only go through a background check (the $18), not prints again. The $2 is for the P2P itself.

NICS is done at the Point of Purchase and is charged by the FFL delivering the firearm. The FFL is charged via a (900) phone number used to access NICS and it just shows up on their (the FFL's) phone bill.

Some police departments waive the $18 fee if you have had a background check within a specific period (6 months - 1 year). Not sure of the legality of that, but it's not like the police pay attention to the firearms laws anyway.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

See Bob, thats why I am glad your here. Thanks for the correction! :)

Thank you everyone for you responce to my question it was most appreciated. So basically I am being charged an additional $24.00 in fees. In other wards NJ is getting a total of about $45.00 in extra fees not even to mentioning the sales tax on the firearm. I can perfectly understand the purpose of a Nics check but charging about $20.00 for a minute phone call is crazy. I know other states such as PA only require the purchaser to be 21 and have a nics check for a pistol which is seems very fare. I guess I am just a bit upset since I was working on a very limited budget and want to get the best trade in I can for the money I have available. Oh well at least I know that in the future I will have to pay the extra fees but I was hoping the new employee at the police station was making a mistake. Well thank you everyone again and if anyone knows a good firearm semi auto or 357 revolver for around $400 please let me know.

Thank you everyone for you responce to my question it was most appreciated. So basically I am being charged an additional $24.00 in fees. In other wards NJ is getting a total of about $45.00 in extra fees not even to mentioning the sales tax on the firearm. I can perfectly understand the purpose of a Nics check but charging about $20.00 for a minute phone call is crazy. I know other states such as PA only require the purchaser to be 21 and have a nics check for a pistol which is seems very fare. I guess I am just a bit upset since I was working on a very limited budget and want to get the best trade in I can for the money I have available. Oh well at least I know that in the future I will have to pay the extra fees but I was hoping the new employee at the police station was making a mistake. Well thank you everyone again and if anyone knows a good firearm semi auto or 357 revolver for around $400 please let me know.

look at radek's post in the marketplace. ruger revolver, excellent condition, good price.