Sign in to follow this  
Stuntman22

EMATactical.com

I was looking in one of the throw-away police magazines and found this ad. I went to check it out and watched the video.

Obviosly we cant own the automatic but the semi caught my eye.

Can we own it in NJ? Do you need a permit (I would think not but I dont know for sure)

Is it worth the money? (Under 400)

Looks cool as hell.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lou

WWW.EMATactical.com

That LOOKS like the guys who bought out CAA. That Carbine thing is a nice concept....HOWEVER. All it does is make you an instant Felon. That Stock, attached to a standard Glock is an Instant SBR (Short-Barreled Rifle) and therefore an NFA weapon. IF there were a 16" barrel for a Glock pistol, then it might be legal, but i'm not certain in all honesty.

You would need to register your pistol with the ATF before you bought that setup. It makes your pistol a short barreled rifle and costs $200 for the registration. If you don't have the gun registered with the ATF and get caught with it you could face up to 10 years in prison. Even having a stock for the gun, attached or not, could be considered could be considered conspiracy or intent. Cool concept, but just doesn't seem all that worth it after the extra 200 bucks.

If it wasnt so sad, it would be funny. Instant Felon, just add water.

Jersey is out of control, or is it a national thing.

I thought it would be cool. Now I'm not so sure.

The Pillow Tag Police are coming to git me.....

Thanks,

Lou

It's a federal thing. For once Jersey can't be blamed for it. I was actually thinking about gettin a stock for my glock and the website I was looking at had a big disclaimer on their site about it. That's the only reason I found out about the law. To get past that law I believe you would need to get a 16 inch barrel and the overall length of the gun can be no less than 32 inches, I believe. So either way you look at it it just doesn't seem worth it.

It's a federal thing. For once Jersey can't be blamed for it. I was actually thinking about gettin a stock for my glock and the website I was looking at had a big disclaimer on their site about it. That's the only reason I found out about the law. To get past that law I believe you would need to get a 16 inch barrel and the overall length of the gun can be no less than 32 inches, I believe. So either way you look at it it just doesn't seem worth it.

While the 1934 NFA is a federal law that requires you would have to pay the $200 tax stamp to register it as a SBR the state of NJ flat out bans rifles with barrels under 16" as (get this) short barreled shotguns... So at least in America (you know, west of the Delaware River) you could get one if you really, really wanted one in your gun safe... I think the NJ standard is you need to prove to a judge how possession of the SBR would benefit the community or some crap like that...

While the 1934 NFA is a federal law that requires you would have to pay the $200 tax stamp to register it as a SBR the state of NJ flat out bans rifles with barrels under 16" as (get this) short barreled shotguns... So at least in America (you know, west of the Delaware River) you could get one if you really, really wanted one in your gun safe... I think the NJ standard is you need to prove to a judge how possession of the SBR would benefit the community or some crap like that...

Actually SBR's are totally banned in NJ, there is no process to purchase one legally outside of military and LE (and even there the law, in typical NJ fashion, is contradictory). The proving to a judge thing is for MG's only.

Yup, no NFA SBRs,SBSs, Silencers, MGs, or DDs allowed in NJ, no matter if you have the federal tax stamp or not.

Pretty idiotic... getting 10 years for putting a stock on your pistol. At least at the federal level, they only have a few cosmetic laws (SBR, SBS), as opposed to the EBR list in NJ.

I'm at a loss as to what crimes SBR rule is preventing. I suppose it was enacted back in the day when the "gangsters" were hiding tommy guns in violin cases...

MGs and AOWs are technically allowed, but is it feasible to actually get the paperwork signed off? Doubtful.

So technically yes you are correct, there are provisions in the laws to own a MG. Practically, heck no. It amounts to a complete ban.

You must qualify for a permit to carry a handgun (near impossible in the state alone), and the Superior Court of NJ (where you submit your MG permit to) has to decide that "the public saftey and welfare so requires" you to own a MG. So you have to pass two discretionary tests.... So "near impossible" + "astronomically near impossible" = you do the math : :icon_eek:

Yup, no NFA SBRs,SBSs, Silencers, MGs, or DDs allowed in NJ, no matter if you have the federal tax stamp or not.

Pretty idiotic... getting 10 years for putting a stock on your pistol. At least at the federal level, they only have a few cosmetic laws (SBR, SBS), as opposed to the EBR list in NJ.

I'm at a loss as to what crimes SBR rule is preventing. I suppose it was enacted back in the day when the "gangsters" were hiding tommy guns in violin cases...

Your correct when you say the fed SBR rules make no sense. In the free parts of America you can buy "assault pistols", just like any other pistol, such as Sig 556 pistols, AK pistols and AR pistols but if you attach a stock (folding, fixed or otherwise) you need to register it with the ATF as an SBR. Like a stock is going to make it more deadly :blink:

Then again switchblade knives have been illegal to the average person federally for a long time. You can buy and carry a handgun in most of this country but not own a switchblade?

Your correct when you say the fed SBR rules make no sense. In the free parts of America you can buy "assault pistols", just like any other pistol, such as Sig 556 pistols, AK pistols and AR pistols but if you attach a stock (folding, fixed or otherwise) you need to register it with the ATF as an SBR. Like a stock is going to make it more deadly :blink:

Then again switchblade knives have been illegal to the average person federally for a long time. You can buy and carry a handgun in most of this country but not own a switchblade?

Yea, seems these laws were meant to deal with specific problems during a specific time period I'm guessing here but ... Tommy Gun in the violin case / sawed off BARs gangster style in the 20's-30's (National Firearms Act 1934), street gang violence in the 50's-60's with switch blades (Switch Blade Act of 1958).

They're long in the tooth if you ask me. Kinda like those silly laws still on the books that everyone likes to make fun of... things like you could be sentenced to hanging for steeling a horse, etc.

They were grasping at straws for anything they could use to lock the bad guys up without proper evidence of their real crimes... "Oh we caught you with a sawed off shotgun, bingo ... 10 years" No need to go wasting time now looking for evidence of racketeering, extortion, murder, etc. Needless to say I doubt it really worked out the way they thought it would. Gangsters just used 16" barrels... street gangs switched to fixed blades.. lol

Crooks know better. Had a friend in the DEA down in Miami. He used to bust some big time drug related crooks. He mentioned to me they would bust in , armed to the teeth... only to find not a single weapon on the bad guy's premises. You see, the crooks can be clever... they know they aren't going to win a gunfight with the Feds, SWAT, PD, Vice, etc; so why bother keeping guns around with all the weapons charges that can be tacked onto all the other charges (drugs, etc). Typically if a gun was involved in committing a felony, instant multi-years sentence on top of anything else they are indicted for. No plea bargain, no early parole for it ...

So there you go.. I wish they would stop with the silly laws that make law-abiding citizens instant felons based on cosmetics of a firearm. Keep on stiffening the penalties if someone uses a gun in the commission of a crime. Those are the laws that work to stop gun crime!