Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

suggestion on optics for SCAR17 (.308)

Looking for tactical optics on for a new FN SCAR17 (.308), any suggestions? I've always used iron sights before, so im new to all this EoTech, Trijon, AimPoint, Millet, etc. Unfort, i would be shooting 1-300 yds, no other ranges nearby going further than that. not looking to spend over $1500, prefer 500-1k, but dont want any junk either. Must be night vision capable. Any insight is appreciated.

Here is an opp to get a top of the line optic mated to a top of the line mount that was prototyped on a SCAR I do beleive. All at a great price.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/19671-wts-2-extras-from-aimpoint-group-buy/

Shane is +1K in my book.

Most all my recomendations exceed your budget :(. Its a topic that should be well thought out before you spend your hard earned cabbage. There is a lot to consider. What role are you trying to fill with this rifle? Just punching paper? Competing? (We need more 308 shooters :) ) SHTF rifle? Some of the point of a 308 is more ooomph at range. Ever try and ID a target at 200 or 300 yds? In my mind this requires magnification. The one recomendation that comes to mind that can fullfill most roles within your budget would be an ACOG TA11H. This is a fixed 3.5x. If you have no concern about holdovers, an Aimpoint and magnifier or a Trijicon Accupoint TR24 might fit the bill. Given your 300 and under statement these might fit the bill well. But for me, a 308 should be setup to be able to engage out to at least 600 yds. There are many good option but to help you, your intended role/use/needs must be clearly defined.

Shane

Edited to add, one of the biggest challenges in this Optics catagory is how important daytime illumination is for you. I like Nightforce scopes USO, etc etc but for a 308 "Battle rifle" I WANT a bright daylight visable red dot in an optic that offers variable magnification. The only two that really do this are the Elcan Specter and the S&B PMII. Thes are in the + $1900 range.

I suggested your package because of his <300m criteria. And since I am a cheap basterd at heart, i thought it fit his budget also. The ACOG TA is a GREAT choice, if he is gunning over 100m constantly. But you being the recognized smart guy in this field I would differ to your suggestions 100%... listen to what Shane says on this matter... he knows it.

Shane... do you still have the T1 mounted on your SCAR? Sam told me you had it out there Sun. Sorry I was not able to join you. Maybe you could post Cagefighter a pic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this