Scottcba1

Cold weather effecting guns??

I know this is a newbie question but does the cold effect the way a gun/shotgun functions? I have two shotguns that I was trying to sell yesterday so I put them in the trunk of my car and they sat in the cold for about 12hrs. When I met with the purspective buyer he wanted to test fire first. When he tried to fire them neither would fire. The firing pins seemed as if they were not sliding enough.

The 12ga. had been serviced and since then I had no issues with it firing but it has sat in my safe for about 6mths. The 20ga. hasnt been serviced yet and would typically take two or three trys before firing.

Do you think the grease/lube on the pins could have been effected by the cold?

-Scott

If a firearm sits for a long time, the lubricants can dry or thicken. Add in a heaping helping of cold and it's quite possible to experience what you did.

Now to your next test, get them nice and warm and go shoot.

The other thing, was there no denting on the primer at all or just a weak hit?

I have never had any cold issues with my shotguns, even had them covered in ice from duck hunting on the bay and still fired..

I am thinking they need a good cleaning and hopefully when they were put away they were not left cocked..

I have never had any cold issues with my shotguns, even had them covered in ice from duck hunting on the bay and still fired..

I am thinking they need a good cleaning and hopefully when they were put away they were not left cocked..

Thanks Tony...& no they are not left cocked.

-Scott

If a firearm sits for a long time, the lubricants can dry or thicken. Add in a heaping helping of cold and it's quite possible to experience what you did.

Now to your next test, get them nice and warm and go shoot.

The other thing, was there no denting on the primer at all or just a weak hit?

They were denting the primer I guess just not striking hard enough to fire. The info you guys have brought up makes me believe the issue is the fact that they sat so long without being oiled regularly or even moved/cocked/fired caused them to gum up a bit. I will try to clean the pins a bit and oil them again and see if they move better.

Thanks everyone for the info! Once again, the good people hear saving me a trip to the gunsmith and helping out.

-Scott