Sign in to follow this  
GoNRA

Hunting Essentials

I am planning on getting my license for next year.

Just wanted to know what the essentials are:

Aside from the obvious Gun and/or Blazing Orange hat and vest. What do you carry on you when you go out, or make sure you have with you.

Pheasant:

-Hiking boots

-Brush pants

-Blaze orange vest

-Blaze orange ball cap

-"Warm" gloves

-Latex gloves

-Water bottle

-Buck knife

-Ammo

-Shotgun

Deer hunting:

-Hiking boots

-Cold-weather clothes

-Backpack

-Snacks

-Camp chair

-Flashlight

-Deer drag

-Pen

-Orange wrap

-Blaze orange vest

-Stocking cap

-"Warm" gloves

-Latex gloves

-Water bottle x2

-Buck knife

-Ammo/blackpowder speedloaders

-Shotgun/rifle

by hiking boots he means something with at least a 1000 insulate otherwise your feet are going to be cold.

Also get below zero socks as well, I forget the make of them, but any store like dicks should carry them

and always remember no matter what you do, your feet are still going to be cold.

zip ties

I always carry a bare bones first aid kit b/c you just never know

Your chances are somewhat slim getting too lost in NJ, but maybe a Map of the area, some sort of fire starting device, and be sure to tell someone where your headed for the day, in case you don't come home. never know, could get hurt, lost, etc..

Your chances are somewhat slim getting too lost in NJ, but maybe a Map of the area, some sort of fire starting device, and be sure to tell someone where your headed for the day, in case you don't come home. never know, could get hurt, lost, etc..

I always bring a cell phone, and don't hunt any areas that I don't know like the back of my hand.

ALSO, very very VERY important. Always go hunting with a friend who can come look for you if you get hurt. If you must go alone, tell someone where you are, and how long you intend to be in the woods.

Guest megaman

This is all very good advice. Please dont go alone the first few times. Make sure you go with someone who does not leave anyone behind.

Our hunting club has a 'no man left behind' rule. At the end of the day we dont leave until everyone is accounted for.

I would also say think about what you are going to do with the animal after you shoot him.

Have a plan to get an animal out of the woods. I try to shoot downhill where I can so most likely the dead animal will pull me down the hill with very little effort. Its a 2 man job to get a big deer out of the woods if there is a hill you need to go up.

The main thing you need is to learn how to walk quietly across the forest and not make any noise or sudden movements.

Animals will see you when you cant see them. I never move my head when scanning, I use my eyeballs and move slow.

Move only when the deer looks down. If he looks up, stop immediately and hold steady until he puts the head back down.

Deer are very easily spooked when they know hunters are after them.

Be prepared to identify all of the signs of wildlife. Scrapes, rubs, tracks, learn to tell which way the animal was going, learn what poop belongs to which animal and how fresh it is. Tracking animals is essential to your success.

Learn what sounds animals you are hunting make.

Get a caller and master the calls. During the rut you can call in male deer with a cheap caller at Dicks.

Learn habitat, what would a turkey be doing right now? Where would a flock of birds be landing today? Would that thick swamp be a good area to wait for deer?

Look at the land, animals like pathways through the forest. You will find them, animal highways if you will. Hang out by one for a few hours, see what you see.

Gullys are the best for turkey, deer like to go into thicket or swampy area late in the day. Bear like deep woods, find some forest with a blown down section, hang out there for a bit...etc.

Its all about thinking like an animal! LOL!!!

Finally, get a butt puller for deer. So much easier then cutting buttholes out. Just insert, twist, and pull the butt out...lol..easiest way to do the butt on the quick. LOL

All good advice, although I would disagree with the need to have two people to drag out a big deer even up a hill.

Finally, get a butt puller for deer. So much easier then cutting buttholes out. Just insert, twist, and pull the butt out...lol..easiest way to do the butt on the quick. LOL

I still prefer using a set of steel garden clippers to cut the pelvic bone.

All good advice, although I would disagree with the need to have two people to drag out a big deer even up a hill.

I still prefer using a set of steel garden clippers to cut the pelvic bone.

After field dressing it should be a lot lighter right?

And what exactly do you do with the entrails after you are done gutting? For some reason I feel like I have heard digging a hole and burying it.

I leave them. Birds/foxes/coyotes have em gobbled up in a day or two.

Guest megaman

I leave them. Birds/foxes/coyotes have em gobbled up in a day or two.

Hunt over them.