almiz111

Want to buy 7.62x39

OK boys I had a previous post looking for a semi 308, maybe FNAR, PTR, etc. So I found that I do not want to afford the rifle or the ammo.

I have an SKS and like it a lot but I turned it into an abortion - scout scope mounted on rear sight. I still like it a lot but want something else similar. You cannot beat the beautifull simplicity of the SKS piston drive.

So what do I get legal for NJ (would you suggest anything else? HA)? Piston drive; chrome barrell; handgrip. OK on an AK but I need a very stable scope mount - regular or scout doesn't matter to me. Which specific AKs? Any AR variations out there that avoid the scope mount mods? Price under $1000. Scope extra. Please no 223.

I want to punch holes in paper with it at 200.

That's my story. Thanks. (Does this post belong in the AR section???????????????????)

the Saiga I run would likely fit what you describe.. I am on target out to 150yrds with a higher end red dot with no magnification.. 150 is the max I shoot normally... the gun is not a precision marksman type rifle.. rifles like the AK are battle accurate.. these are guns to hit man sized targets at mid range..

Saiga has a side scope mount.. so if you wanted a traditional magnified scope that is an option as well....

saiga.jpg

If you were originally looking for a .308, but don't like the prices and ammo price. Have you considered a PSL-54? Similar ballistics to .308, but plenty of cheap 7.62x54R ammo out there to stock up and keep it fed for a long time. 7.62x39 is still cheaper, but just throwing out an option for you...

I'm not sure on their availability as of late...

could always do a 308 Saiga that shoots cheaper steel cased ammo..

Yep. I have one. I think Brown Bear is still going for about $7-ish for a box of 20. I keep thinking of getting a 7.62x39 but really, what does that round do that a .308 can't?

Anyway I think the .308 Saiga is going for around $400 these days. Throw in another $100 for the conversion parts, another $100 for a couple of steel 15 round mags. And another $100 gets you almost three hundred rounds of Brown Bear at current prices. That still puts you about 1/2 the price of a Socom.

Yep. I have one. I think Brown Bear is still going for about $7-ish for a box of 20. I keep thinking of getting a 7.62x39 but really, what does that round do that a .308 can't?

Anyway I think the .308 Saiga is going for around $400 these days. Throw in another $100 for the conversion parts, another $100 for a couple of steel 15 round mags. And another $100 gets you almost three hundred rounds of Brown Bear at current prices. That still puts you about 1/2 the price of a Socom.

7.62x39 is about half the ammo cost... and if we ever become a free state.. there are more mag options.. besides that I would say the 308 is on par with 7.62x39... with the exception that 308 will definitely bring more distance.. since the 308 is a reach out for distance type round I opted for an AR 308 gun.. mid range.. accuracy is not as much of an issue.. center mass battle accurate is what I am after.. the 7.62x39 is a great inexpensive choice for that.. but if I could only have ONE.. it would likely be 308...

7.62x39 maximum point blank range is around 225 yards, .308 is around 260 yards.

Some will depend on the rifle, especially barrel length as that affects velocity.

Ballistics for 7.62x39 , and .308.

If your main goal is to punch holes in paper at 200 yards with battle accuracy, 7.26x39 is more than enough.

If you want to go 300 yards+ or are looking for precision accuracy things start looking much better for the .308.

7.62x39 maximum point blank range is around 225 yards, .308 is around 260 yards.

Some will depend on the rifle, especially barrel length as that affects velocity.

Ballistics for 7.62x39 , and .308.

If your main goal is to punch holes in paper at 200 yards with battle accuracy, 7.26x39 is more than enough.

If you want to go 300 yards+ or are looking for precision accuracy things start looking much better for the .308.

what is maximum point blank range? I am not familiar with that term?

The Maximum Point Blank Range (MPBR) is the distance at which the bullet falls 3 inches below the line of sight. Thus between the muzzle and the distance given as the MPBR, the bullet never strays more than 3 inches above or below the line of sight (1.5 inches for varmint loads).

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

• Like 1

Yup, especially important when regarding battle accuracy and sight settings. MPBR determines the point at which you need to start compensating for bullet drop on your sights or optic.

http://en.wikipedia....or_military_use

Maximum point blank range for hunting

A large target, like the vitals area of a deer, allows a deviation of a few inches (as much as 10 cm) while still ensuring a quickly disabling hit. A varmint such as a prairie dog requires a much smaller deviation, less than an inch (about 2 cm).[4] The height of the sights has two effects on point blank range. If the sights are lower than the allowable deviation, then point blank range starts at the muzzle, and any difference between the sight height and the allowable deviation is lost distance that could have been in point blank range. Higher sights, up to the maximum allowable deviation, push the maximum point blank range further from the gun. Sights that are higher than the maximum allowable deviation push the start of the point blank range out from the gun; this is quite common on varmint rifles, where close shots are never made, as it places the point blank range out to the expected range of the targets.

[edit] Maximum point blank range for military use

This sight setting for maximum point blank range is also referred to in the military as Battle Zero. Soldiers are instructed to fire at any target within this range by simply placing the sights on the center of mass of the enemy target. Any errors in range estimation are tactically irrelevant as a well-aimed shot will hit the torso of the enemy soldier. The current trend for elevated sights and higher velocity cartridges in assault rifles is in part due to a desire to extend the maximum point blank range, which makes the rifle easier to use[5].

• Like 1

7.62x39 is about half the ammo cost... and if we ever become a free state.. there are more mag options.. besides that I would say the 308 is on par with 7.62x39... with the exception that 308 will definitely bring more distance.. since the 308 is a reach out for distance type round I opted for an AR 308 gun.. mid range.. accuracy is not as much of an issue.. center mass battle accurate is what I am after.. the 7.62x39 is a great inexpensive choice for that.. but if I could only have ONE.. it would likely be 308...

Yeah I only have one. My next rifle is probably going to be a bolt action .308. I should keep it all in the same family (Russian) and get a TOZ-122. I hear good things about the trigger on those rifles.

Also to the OP's question if you're still looking for a good 7.62x39 platform get a Saiga and convert it into a pistol grip rifle. I think it needs a bullet guide installed to use AK mags.

Yeah I only have one. My next rifle is probably going to be a bolt action .308. I should keep it all in the same family (Russian) and get a TOZ-122. I hear good things about the trigger on those rifles.

Also to the OP's question if you're still looking for a good 7.62x39 platform get a Saiga and convert it into a pistol grip rifle. I think it needs a bullet guide installed to use AK mags.

yes bullet guide needed.. but in NJ with 15 rounds mag restriction in place it is kind of a moot point..

as far as the TOZ not familiar with the gun at all.. but a quick search seems to return mixed reviews..

post is old so maybe things have changed for the better.. but a "horrible trigger" is NOT something I want on a bolt gun.. in fact on a bolt gun.. the smoothness of the trigger is probably something that is extremely important since it would likely be a gun I would choose for accuracy..

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4541130