Drew

MAK-90 - "Clinton Township police say they seize assault rifle, ammunition; arrest two men"

Since the MAK-90 was just being discussed in the other thread I thought I would put this out there for discussion.

http://www.nj.com/hunterdon-county-democrat/index.ssf/2011/02/clinton_township_police_say_th.html

CLINTON TWP. - Police said they arrested two men and seized an assault rifle and ammunition when Patrolman Umair Latif stopped a car around 12:50 a.m. Friday after he saw it make an illegal U-turn at the intersection of Route 31 and Halstead Street.

Latif followed the car south on Route 31 and tried to stop it as it approached Grayrock Road, police said. The car made a right on Grayrock and then left into a parking lot, police said. When he approached the stopped car, Latif smelled alcohol and driver Mark Stone, 45, of Clinton Corner, N.Y. and passenger Anthony Lyman, 23, of Poughkeepsie, N.Y. were both nervous and provided suspicious travel stories, according to police.

When Latif asked Stone to get out of the car, he saw cigar filler on the driver’s seat and an empty beer can behind the passenger’s seat, police said, and backup officer Drew MacQueen saw a partially-smoked marijuana joint in the vehicle’s ash tray.

A search of the passenger’s compartment revealed a 30-round magazine loaded with 23 rounds of 7.62 mm, .308-caliber full metal jacket ammunition in the map pocket of the driver’s seat and a Norinco MAK-90 Sporter rifle wrapped in a towel on the backseat, police said. In the trunk, Latif found an empty 30-round magazine and three empty 5-round magazines wrapped in socks, according to police.

When Latif entered Stone’s information into the national crime computer, he found Stone was wanted by California Department of Corrections on a violation of parole charge; in Pasco County, Fla. on a grand theft charge; and in Pinellas County, Fla. on a violation of probation charge.

Both men were arrested. Stone was charged with entering the state while a fugitive from justice, driving with an expired license and making an illegal U-turn. He was lodged in the county jail pending extradition to California.

Lyman was charged with possession of an assault weapon; possession of a high capacity ammunition magazine; possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana; possession of drug paraphernalia; and having an opened container of alcohol in a motor vehicle. Clinton Township Municipal Court Judge Eric Perkins set bail at $50,000 and Lyman was lodged in the county jail.

Sgt. Marc Strauss assisted.

I love the use of the word marijuana to describe the type of joint. As if many folks are smoking tobacco joints.

"I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that all four of them habitually smoked marijuana cigarettes..... reefers."

LOLz

my favorite is how the media likes to describe the type of ammunition as if it is relevant in some way...

not saying this article in particular but..

normal target ammo and the media says "clip filled in full metal jacketed penetrating sniper ammo"

hollow points and the media says "cache of expanding hollow nose ammo designed to kill"

Unfortunately we never hear about the resolution of the assault weapons charges. Even though the law allows these type rifles, in the past six months I have read about these guys here getting charged for having a Mak-90, and some idiot ex-cop in Hoboken being charged for driving around with a SAR-1. Do these charges eventually get thrown out? That is the story that never gets written, and is important to us as gun owners.

What a couple of dumb-arses. Its like they were trying really hard to get throw in jail.

Well, judging by the one guys rap sheet, it looks like he has made a lot of bad decisions in life so far, why stop now?

I don't think the MAK-90 is illegal in NJ, they will probably drop that charge, the mags are a different story - they're screwed. If the guy with the "assault weapon" is also a convicted felon he's got even bigger problems. Not familiar enough with the drug laws to know what the marijuana charge will bring but I'm sure gun + drugs = big problem.

That's because "Full Metal Jacket" sounds soooo much more evil than "cheap range ammo". They know exactly what they're doing.

I have to admit that I just learned this. Watching Leonard Lawrence saying "full metal jacket" as he loads his weapon with the demonic look on his face before he shoots R. Lee Emory make those FMJ bullets seems rather scary.

That was like a text book "YOURE GOING TO JAIL FOREVER" police stop LOL!!!

These guys must have been the 2 stupidest people in the world.

First, who the hell is driving around smoking doobies?!?!

Furthermore, if you are smoking what the HELL are you doing with a big a** .308 in the car wrapped in a towel!!!

WHAT THE HELL!?!?!?!

I hope these guys go to jail for a while for being so STUPID if NOTHING ELSE!!!!

As an FFL/dealer here in NJ put it to me...

Something to the effect that NJ police rarely play the AWB card, usually they do when you are in a heap of trouble for other stuff and are looking to tack onto that. I said that personally, I'm not willing to play the 10 years in prison game of chance.

And on top of all of that the gun was stolen!

I cannot find it on-line but the printed copy of today's Hunterdon County Democrat reports the MAK-90 was stolen from a home in High Park, NY. I suspect that may be Hyde Park, NY but that is what the newspaper stated.

It makes it difficult to believe anything from the media.