TravDMH

Ruger Gunsite Scout

Totally legal as it is a bolt. $1K is outrageous... supposed to MSRP of $700 or so. I could see paying $600 max for it.

I saw somewhere where people have gotten M1A1 mags to work. I will look into it some more.

I personally love the concept for some stupid reason, totally smitten with this rifle. But is there any role that the scout rifle does that could not be performed with a lightweight DMR or heck a decent MBR. Just seems that whatever Cooper wrote, people took as gospel. I say he was having an off day when he thought up the scout rifle.

That being said, I still want one. I think Cooper dreamed this up, loved the look and concept, then figured out ways to justify his creation. Must weight less then 8pds, have 1 MOA accuracy out to 600m, mag capacity GT 5. Whatever!

I still want one.

I admit, I really like the looks of this rifle. If I had a use for an intermediate range rugged, simple, lightweight BA type rifle that I needed to lug around all day, I'd get it in a heartbeat. I'd still be torn between my M1A Scout or even a Mini-14. I guess if you needed to be in especially cruddy environments, the simplicity of a BA would come in handy.

Otherwise, there are other priorities that cost $700 and up... compound that with $90 magazines ... :icon_eek:

Silly they didn't machine it to take M1A mags...

ok... my bad i had been reading where someone was trying to make the M1A1 mags work in a Ruger Frontier Rifle. But there are options available. Alpha Ind makes mags that are double stack single feed for $60. :icon_e_surprised:

Scout rifle discussions on other forums are funny. They tend to be like fusball games... all fun and jokes and then turn nasty and violent.

Axeman, I too find myself drawn to the rifle for some weird reason. Seems perfect for when the machines take over/zombies invade/whatever end of the world scenario one can come up with. I've read that its "addictive and fun to shoot". The M1A retails for double the price, and the mini 14 is only .223 I thought?

The mini30, a min14 in 7.62x39 would qualify as a scout rifle.... if it did not suck it past 200yards in accuracy.

I think the M1A Scout rifle is almost the ideal... beside the Steyr Scout. But you can see.... the $$$$$ starts adding up quickly.

Yea, good point on the Mini-14, I shouldn't have compared it being only .223.

I really want one of these Gunsites now. Just so cool looking. A modern Enfield Jungle Carbine (which I've always thought was a cool rifle).

Its just difficult to justify with the magazine price.

And this sitting in the safe...

scout.jpg

I'd like to get one eventually. They're very cool looking. Got to handle one at the PA Gun Show last Sunday.

Would the 15 round magazine limit apply to this even as a BA?

How about the muzzle end? Is that considered a "flash hider" and if so would it be allowed on a BA?

I'd like to get one eventually. They're very cool looking. Got to handle one at the PA Gun Show last Sunday.

Would the 15 round magazine limit apply to this even as a BA?

How about the muzzle end? Is that considered a "flash hider" and if so would it be allowed on a BA?

15 round limit applies no matter what. A bb gun that holds more than 15 rounds is an assault weapon in our retarded state.

The "evil features" game only applies to semi-automatic weapons. You can have a folding stock, flash hider, pistol grip, and a bayonet lug on you bolt action if you like.

I like this rifle alot! But why not use M1A magazines? I'm not understanding that.

Ray,

I saw something you'd really like.

The JR 9mm AR Carbine.

http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/%2FEMF-JR-CARBINE-9MM-JRC9MM-P3760.aspx

IT TAKES GLOCK MAGAZINES

Ray,

I saw something you'd really like.

The JR 9mm AR Carbine.

http://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/%2FEMF-JR-CARBINE-9MM-JRC9MM-P3760.aspx

IT TAKES GLOCK MAGAZINES

Thanks Chris, but I'll pass. I'm waiting for the Wolf 9mm lower to come out.

Dan, I can finally see your pic here at home.

U have the only gun that I think is really a Scout gun or the best option for the concept. Which model aimpoint is that? I was considering this the other day, a Trijicon w/ 3x power would make a fantastic scout scope. My question is do the work well with that much eye relief?

Dan... I want to hear more about that Scout Squad. Have you tried any LER optics? Can you get something low enough to co-witness with the orig sights? Is that a 10rd mag installed? Do you know of any 15rd that are avail?

I haven't tried any LER optics on it yet, just the Aimpoint. I think it would be near impossible to co-witness the iron sights with any optic. Probably better off with a raised sight mount designed to allow the sight picture under the mount.

That's a 15 round Check-Mate magazine. $27 on Brownells. :)

This is one of my favorite rifles. I've always been very pleased with its accuracy with mulsurp ammo. I have been curious to give her some magnification with an LER scope, but it's just not needed for the role she's set up for.

15 round limit applies no matter what.

Negative.

Here's the statute:

2C:39-1 y.tab.gif"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

If it's for a bolt action gun, the mag limit does not apply.

Negative.

Here's the statute:

If it's for a bolt action gun, the mag limit does not apply.

The only additional thing I would add is if the mag has dual-use for bolt and SA applications. In the case of AI mags, I don't believe they have any SA uses. Nor do they have over 10 round capacity that I could find.

If someone modified a Gunsite to take M1A mags, buying a 20rnd for it would be a no-go because it could also be used in a SA gun.

The only additional thing I would add is if the mag has dual-use for bolt and SA applications. In the case of AI mags, I don't believe they have any SA uses. Nor do they have over 10 round capacity that I could find.

If someone modified a Gunsite to take M1A mags, buying a 20rnd for it would be a no-go because it could also be used in a SA gun.

Interesting point. Like most NJ gun laws, it's not clear. I don't know if there's any case law for that. Wouldn't want to be the test case though.

2C:39-1 y.tab.gif"Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

Interesting point. Like most NJ gun laws, it's not clear. I don't know if there's any case law for that. Wouldn't want to be the test case though.

Its pretty clear, if it fits into a SA firearm... its a high capacity magazine. You don't need to own the said SA firearm to be in violation. If the state can prove that the magazine fitting over 15 rounds can be used by any SA firearm available anywhere, you are out of luck.

I know many people aren't Nappen fans, but he has an example in his book in which an 15+ round magazine ONLY fit into a automatic fire weapon (there were no SA versions of the weapon ever made), so he got his client off on the charge as NJ law states SA firearms specifically.