NJKen

M1A National Match scope suggestion

The title says it all. I just picked this rifle up and would like to shoot in the 300-600 yard area. I got pretty good in the past with a 22 with a cheap scope on it at 100 yards. That was almost 20 years ago. I decided to pick up where I left off but with bigger toys! Optics are one thing I know almost nothing about but would like to learn. Any advice welcome

Thanks

Ken

For precision shooting check out this article. Accurate Shooter It's a little dated but has info you can use. Once you know what kind of shooting you will be doing you can pick a reticle type and scope power.

You may get away with an inexpensive scope for a 22 used for plinking, but a high power rifle with some recoil will need a solid scope. A scope that holds zero and has positive adjustments that actually change when you turn the knobs. My complaint with many scopes is they don't make fine adjustments very well. One or two clicks may or may not move the reticle until you fire.

If you are serious, this is a good place to start.My choice.There are others, but this is my choice.

My two cents worth. I only shoot a rimfire rifle but have gone through a progression of "good" scopes and ended up satisfied with a Nightforce a couple of thousand dollars later.

Don't cut corners on a scope. You might change rifles but can swap the scope to the next rifle.

Have fun researching and shopping for your scope. :)

I finally got a chance to go put 200 rounds through this gun un interupted. I am quite pleased with the NM and am dam glad I went with it! I may not scope it for a while now. It will be a future upgrade but it takes the back burner for rite now since I have a 7 month old son. If anyone reads this post in the future, my advice is to go try to zero it with the stock sites first before you just throw a scope on it! I managed to get a decent group at 200 yards with moderate breeze and the occasional gust blowing uprange. I got em all in the black on a 100 yard target. I think I can do better as I adjust to this riffle.

Ken