Sign in to follow this  
mipafox

Took a handgun to...

They have some very complicated gun laws there, but are way better than NJ overall. And way more pro-gun in general. It's almost like they've been hijacked by their government. Seems you can take a handgun anywhere in a car as long as it's in a locked container. Even on your passenger seat, with ammo inside. However, cased weapons are considered concealed, and can only be taken directly to or from a vehicle. Or something like that.

In the past year or so I once met 6 people at a bar, one an Irishman and one a LA cop, and every one of them supported carry. My last trip, I was talking to a guy and asked him about carry in San Bernadino County, since carry permits vary from county to county. He said it was not possible in his county, but if he could get one, he would carry. And he was not a big gun guy.

Has anybody here ever flown out of Newark or NY with a handgun? After hearing all the horror stories I'm kind of curious what the average experience is. Or if people just avoid it.

Has anybody here ever flown out of Newark or NY with a handgun?

I have flown out of both to several locations including LA and Chicago with handguns. This was before Heller and McDonald. Never had any contact with police anywhere. Only had to deal with airline personnel and TSA anywhere I went. Never asked anything for anything more than my usual picture ID (DL). Actually LAX and Chicago were the easiest and actually followed procedures 100%. Chicago was the only place the airline rep asked to see if the gun was unloaded. LAX they never wanted to see the gun. They just had me put the tag in the case (which was locked inside a locked Haliburton 2 suiter), asked me if it were locked, walked me over to TSA who told me to wait while they xrayed it in case they wanted to open it, TSA apparently were satisfied with the xray and told me thanks.

The only problem I ever had was in Kansas City where they have some private security (not TSA doing the screening). The guy wanted me to give him the key to the gun case which was about 15 feet from me so I could see what he was doing if he turned the side of the suitcase toward me. I told him TSA regs said I was supposed to keep possession of the keys all the time. He told me give him the keys or my bag was not going on that plane. I know I was right and could have made a stink but comprimsed and told him to turn the suitcase so I could see what he was doing. At first he refused and I asked him "what are you trying to hide". This ticked him off but he turned the suitcase the way I wanted.

If you gents who have done it before wouldn't mind sharing, may I ask what makes it so difficult to fly out of Newark with a firearm? I've gotten good reports from friends who've flown with guns before, but I've heard nothing specifically about Newark Airport. Do they handle it differently there?

may I ask what makes it so difficult to fly out of Newark with a firearm?

I wouldn't say its difficult its just seems that they (airlines and TSA) act like it never happened before. They know you can do it but are slow in dealing with it unlike O'Hare or LAX.

Ship your gun ahead of time, pick it up when you get there. Way easier.

Actually, I find the easiest way is to walk into the airport with the loaded gun on my hip. I say I have a firearm to check, and they always ask me if I want to check it in my bag or bring it on the plane (?). Maybe they get a lot of cops or something. I open the case, draw it, unload it, clear it, and set it in the case. They look at it. Not sure what they are looking for. I sign a slip and they put it in the case, tell me not to lock the case because TSA will want to look inside. TSA never looks inside, so I lock it. And put the case in my luggage. A lot easier than a trip to UPS.

Then they weigh my bag, it is overweight, they charge me an extra $25. I go over to TSA and tell them there is a firearm. They ask if the airline checked it and I say Yes. They X-ray my bag and then take it off and ask for the key to the bag. I say it is not locked, because I knew they were going to do this. I have canned food in my bag because I have high blood pressure and need to pack my own food in large part. They think the canned food is a bomb. They don't care about the gun. They pull out all my cans and swab them for explosives. When they are done, I pull the lock out of my front shirt pocket and hand it to them and tell them to put it on my bag.

Come to think of it, it would be way easier if I shipped my food. I would have done it last time but these trips have a way of coming up last minute.

If you gents who have done it before wouldn't mind sharing, may I ask what makes it so difficult to fly out of Newark with a firearm? I've gotten good reports from friends who've flown with guns before, but I've heard nothing specifically about Newark Airport. Do they handle it differently there?

I'm not aware of anything, I'm just a scared to after that guy got jacked up in NY when he tried to check a handgun (even though he was covered under federal FOPA). I was asking because I was wondering what it was like to check a handgun in states where possesion of handguns is illegal with exceptions.

Having flown to Fl twice with a handgun and once to AZ for a hunt with an AR-10 and a handgun.

Newark is spotty. Once you declare the gun you should ask the person if they know how to do this.

I was asked to hand over the keys once on the way down to WPB, and I declined. She told me she had to take the key and gun to the TSA. Again I declined and informed her that is not the correct procedure. She called the cops over. The Port Authortity cops came over,(3 of them) the TSA lady told them I did not want to hand over the keys to my gun, and the cops told her I was not supposed to. They just wanted to see it was unloaded, but I was not asked anything about if I was legal in NJ or FL. I had it stripped so it was obvious it was not loaded.

At that point TSA supervisor came over and apologized and actually followed procedures, xrayed and on my way.

The cops were cool, they knew the law. I asked if they had received training due to recent court cases. Once officer told me that they were aware of how to do it and I was correct and it was no problem, and they were on their way.

When I went to AZ to hunt I was not asked to show the rifle as it was in a steel case with 3 locks.

I took the extra precaution of printing out the airline's contract of carriage which states the manner in which guns can be transported. I recommend doing that.

Other than that, I have had no problems and I should never have any problems because the second amendment makes it legal for us to keep and bear arms.

:icon_e_biggrin:

Having flown to Fl twice with a handgun and once to AZ for a hunt with an AR-10 and a handgun.

Newark is spotty. Once you declare the gun you should ask the person if they know how to do this.

I was asked to hand over the keys once on the way down to WPB, and I declined. She told me she had to take the key and gun to the TSA. Again I declined and informed her that is not the correct procedure. She called the cops over. The Port Authortity cops came over,(3 of them) the TSA lady told them I did not want to hand over the keys to my gun, and the cops told her I was not supposed to.

Whooh! You had me sweating bullets up to that part! Good Cops, here's a donut!

• Like 1

BTW, I believe you can open carry in cali as long as the gun is unloaded. You dont have to show ID. But you can have loaded mags on your belt.

Did you look into this?

They have some very complicated gun laws there, but are way better than NJ overall. And way more pro-gun in general. It's almost like they've been hijacked by their government. Seems you can take a handgun anywhere in a car as long as it's in a locked container. Even on your passenger seat, with ammo inside. However, cased weapons are considered concealed, and can only be taken directly to or from a vehicle. Or something like that.

In the past year or so I once met 6 people at a bar, one an Irishman and one a LA cop, and every one of them supported carry. My last trip, I was talking to a guy and asked him about carry in San Bernadino County, since carry permits vary from county to county. He said it was not possible in his county, but if he could get one, he would carry. And he was not a big gun guy.

Has anybody here ever flown out of Newark or NY with a handgun? After hearing all the horror stories I'm kind of curious what the average experience is. Or if people just avoid it.

BTW, I believe you can open carry in cali as long as the gun is unloaded. You dont have to show ID. But you can have loaded mags on your belt.

Did you look into this?

I was indeed aware of this and I did not do it. For a number of reasons. My understanding is cops can stop you to check your gun and make sure it is not loaded. Other reasons specific to this trip as well. Even without those reasons, it would take me some specialized training, practice, and familiarization to carry an obviously unloaded handgun, in the open, with any confidence. It's a dicey proposition to a Jersey boy like me. If I was with 3 other people doing the same thing, then I guess the odds of us being able to use the handguns would be much higher as would be my confidence.

Maybe they get a lot of cops or something.

There has to be at least a couple of thousand Federal officers in the Newark/NY area so its highly likely they get a couple of dozen a day through Newark. This they know how to handle as procedures have been long established to do this. In this case you will see the PAPD as part of your screening if you carry on the plane.

If you're an LEO and checking the gun the procedure is the same as a non-LEO.

Maybe they get a lot of cops or something.

There has to be at least a couple of thousand Federal officers in the Newark/NY area so its highly likely they get a couple of dozen a day through Newark.

I actually don't walk into Newark/NY airports with a loaded handgun on my hip. I was talking about PA in that post.