Sign in to follow this  
aliveonbackfeed

Colt SP! Carbine Grandfathered ?

When I was living in NY I owned a Pre Ban Colt SP1 Carbine NY grandfathered them.I live in NJ now and had to leave the SP1 at my parents home in NY.I read the NJ law and it said you have to have a permit to carry to own a pre ban.In addition to that you had to write a letter to some authority asking permission to own one.Have I read it correctly?.If I have then they made next to impossible to bring it to NJ.

NJ gun laws are confusing (probably intentionally so), but I believe the statute you are looking at is moot. That was when the AWB was going to go into effect and, so as not to make instant felons of competition shooters, they allowed a registration period. That period has long since lapsed and I don't know if the AG ever made up a list of "Assault weapons used for target shooting" or however they phrased it. There was a clarification issued by the AG that allowed Colt HBAR's and M1A's. There is no grandfathering or pre-ban / post-ban configurations in NJ. A gun is either compliant or not. I believe that you are SOL and your SP-1 will have to remain in NY.

If I have interpreted this incorrectly (IANAL), someone more cognizant of the statutes governing the AWB will jump in and correct me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NJ gun laws are confusing (probably intentionally so), but I believe the statute you are looking at is moot. That was when the AWB was going to go into effect and, so as not to make instant felons of competition shooters, they allowed a registration period. That period has long since lapsed and I don't know if the AG ever made up a list of "Assault weapons used for target shooting" or however they phrased it. There was a clarification issued by the AG that allowed Colt HBAR's and M1A's. There is no grandfathering or pre-ban / post-ban configurations in NJ. A gun is either compliant or not. I believe that you are SOL and your SP-1 will have to remain in NY.

If I have interpreted this incorrectly (IANAL), someone more cognizant of the statutes governing the AWB will jump in and correct me.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Was thinking of selling it anyway not sure though.It really is a nice gun.

There was a clarification issued by the AG that allowed Colt HBAR's and M1A's. There is no grandfathering or pre-ban / post-ban configurations in NJ.

The only other rifle you could keep (as long as you registered it and belonged to a club at the time) was the M1 carbine. You are correct as its either compliant with current law or banned. No accommodation for anyone moving into the state after the ban went into effect.

There is a process to get a permit to own an "assault rifle". It is the same as getting a permit for a full auto weapon and we all know how many of those are in private hands in NJ.

There was a clarification issued by the AG that allowed Colt HBAR's and M1A's. There is no grandfathering or pre-ban / post-ban configurations in NJ.

The only other rifle you could keep (as long as you registered it and belonged to a club at the time) was the M1 carbine. You are correct as its either compliant with current law or banned. No accommodation for anyone moving into the state after the ban went into effect.

There is a process to get a permit to own an "assault rifle". It is the same as getting a permit for a full auto weapon and we all know how many of those are in private hands in NJ.

little Hunting fishing shop by me has a Stag Arms that is compliant.Didn't really want to spend another twelve hundred dollars.Wanted to get a 1911 but that will have to wait.