siderman

Marine Corps Museum, Quantico

Finally got a chance to stop at the official Marines history museum in VA. You may have noticed it about 1/2 hr South of Wash DC on 95 North. Kinda looks like a giant fighter plane going vertical or modern art even. Its only 5 mins off the hi-way and a suprisingly big and well done modern institution. Anyway lots of nice museum quality guns(of course!)Springfields,M1's,M14's,M1A2's(00001 serial#),Jap and Commy guns as a lot of the Marine action was in the Pacific theater but some Euro stuff also. Even got to see an improptu(?)Marine promotions ceremony take place.You walk outta there feeling very proud just to be an American.I know its too easy to pass up because you're typically flying up/down 95 but if you can spare a few hrs its worth it IMO.

Finally got a chance to stop at the official Marines history museum in VA. You may have noticed it about 1/2 hr South of Wash DC on 95 North. Kinda looks like a giant fighter plane going vertical or modern art even. Its only 5 mins off the hi-way and a suprisingly big and well done modern institution. Anyway lots of nice museum quality guns(of course!)Springfields,M1's,M14's,M1A2's(00001 serial#),Jap and Commy guns as a lot of the Marine action was in the Pacific theater but some Euro stuff also. Even got to see an improptu(?)Marine promotions ceremony take place.You walk outta there feeling very proud just to be an American.I know its too easy to pass up because you're typically flying up/down 95 but if you can spare a few hrs its worth it IMO.

The tour was great, wasn't it. Stopped in last year at this time and got a base tour from a friend currently serving. I liked the NCIS section too. They are very serious about taking photos and the air base is off limits. I understand they take care of Marine One, the Prez's chopper there.

My Uncle retired from the Marine Corp after 30yrs. His last position was the Director of History and Museums divison. He put his heart and soul into that museum to make sure the facts were correct and everything was desplayed correctly. Im sure he would be pleased to hear all the nice comments that are being made by those who have visited the museum.

It is a gorgeous building that is filled with great artifacts and exhibits. When in Va. make it a stop on your trip, you wont be disappointed.

-Scott

My Uncle retired from the Marine Corp after 30yrs. His last position was the Director of History and Museums divison. He put his heart and soul into that museum to make sure the facts were correct and everything was desplayed correctly. Im sure he would be pleased to hear all the nice comments that are being made by those who have visited the museum.

It is a gorgeous building that is filled with great artifacts and exhibits. When in Va. make it a stop on your trip, you wont be disappointed.

-Scott

If anybody's interested, I can figure out how to get a few pictures of the Museum and base linked in here.

http://s1208.photobu...0Marine%20Base/