kenw

Interesting article in American COP magazine

Found this on another site. It's a nice, objective article on how LE should respond to and follow up on a civilian defensive shooting without falling into semantic prejudices.

It's one of those silly Flash flip things, so it's a bit of a hard read, but worth the few minutes. It was transcribed on the other site, but I try not to infringe someone else's copyright.

American COP article

Found this on another site. It's a nice, objective article on how LE should respond to and follow up on a civilian defensive shooting without falling into semantic prejudices.

It's one of those silly Flash flip things, so it's a bit of a hard read, but worth the few minutes. It was transcribed on the other site, but I try not to infringe someone else's copyright.

American COP article

This couldn't come at a better time. Recently in my town and a neighboring town. Homes have been reporting break-ins and robberies where there phone lines were cut and security systems disabled. Luckily no one has been home during the robberies, but if you were your options are severely limited.

This couldn't come at a better time. Recently in my town and a neighboring town. Homes have been reporting break-ins and robberies where there phone lines were cut and security systems disabled. Luckily no one has been home during the robberies, but if you were your options are severely limited.

This is a good time to bring up keeping an old cell phone you no longer use in the closet or location you would go to to defend your home, just keep it on a charger and it's there ready to go, no need to pay for service, most phones out these days are good to dial 911 even if they aren't activated on a particular network.

Harry

Wow, they are actively targeting houses known to have security systems? I have such a system, and I always figured they would just move on to a house that doesn't have one (even if it is fairly easy to snip phone wires, and smash up the siren upon entering) as it still increases their risk of getting caught. I may look into getting the GSM adapter, then they would not only need to cut phone wires, but also have to use a GSM jamming device upping the ante again.

This is a good time to bring up keeping an old cell phone you no longer use in the closet or location you would go to to defend your home, just keep it on a charger and it's there ready to go, no need to pay for service, most phones out these days are good to dial 911 even if they aren't activated on a particular network.

Harry

Correct. I also recommend that everyone have a corded phone in their "safe room", and try that phone first, since your address won't pop up for the 9-1-1 operator when using a cell.

Wow, they are actively targeting houses known to have security systems? I have such a system, and I always figured they would just move on to a house that doesn't have one (even if it is fairly easy to snip phone wires, and smash up the siren upon entering) as it still increases their risk of getting caught. I may look into getting the GSM adapter, then they would not only need to cut phone wires, but also have to use a GSM jamming device upping the ante again.

All the houses in these neighborhoods have security systems, so instead of moving on they found a way around them. Apparently there not even close to catching these guys either, all of the homes that were reported broken into had active security systems. Seems a little ridiculous when u think about it, all these guys had to do was snip a line and kick a door in. The only way they will get caught is if it is in the act. I remember over the summer my PD stopped some robbers on their way out of town with a u-haul truck packed to the brim. Every year it looks like its getting worse too.

FYI- in and around my town and the neighboring one cell service has serious dead spots. My house for instance, i have to go to the other side of the house to make a call. I cannot call out from my room. Luckily i keep all my protection in my room with me + a corded phone, i might be the only one in the house with a corded phone, but thats because i can never remember to charge the damn cordless ones.

All the houses in these neighborhoods have security systems, so instead of moving on they found a way around them. Apparently there not even close to catching these guys either, all of the homes that were reported broken into had active security systems. Seems a little ridiculous when u think about it, all these guys had to do was snip a line and kick a door in. The only way they will get caught is if it is in the act. I remember over the summer my PD stopped some robbers on their way out of town with a u-haul truck packed to the brim. Every year it looks like its getting worse too.

FYI- in and around my town and the neighboring one cell service has serious dead spots. My house for instance, i have to go to the other side of the house to make a call. I cannot call out from my room. Luckily i keep all my protection in my room with me + a corded phone, i might be the only one in the house with a corded phone, but thats because i can never remember to charge the damn cordless ones.

That's ballsy. But sounds like they have it down to a science. Just looked up my GSM backup option, $200 smackers, plus a monthly service fee for a GSM mobile carrier. Hopefully my CCTV cameras, alarm system, small modest home, nosey neighbors (including retired and always home), and GSD will be sufficient for them to "move onto another house".

I have no respect for these types of criminals, stealing from folks who work hard to make an honest living. Lockem' up!

Anybody with any sense would cut all the communication lines before breaking in. We are not talking about rocket science here. Consider some mixture of the following options:

- Dedicated line - Normally closed, expensive but almost impossible to defeat. Response time is the only remaining issue.

- Regular phone/internet line normally closed - not availble from most but almost as good

- Radio - good, but can be jammed. # 3 on my list

- Cellular - good, and WILL be jammed if anybody is serious about it. But most will just cut your phone line.

- Cable - I guess it helps if he only cuts your phone line.

- Layered defense:

--Safe

--Video that can actually ID people and also license plates with offsite storage.

And, the Number 1 recommendation:

- Buy insurance for what you want to protect

If you think anybody other than a random kid is NOT going to cut your phone line then you are a fool. Everybody knows that most alarm systems are worthless when you cut the phone line. For those that have never seen their phone line, it connects inside a plastic box on the side of your house. You don't need a ladder, just walk over there and clip it.

• Like 1