Sign in to follow this  
matty

BHP New or Old?

Mulling over what to buy next in the handgun dept, I currently have the Browning High Power as top 9mm candidate, then a nice (~$1500) 1911 in 9 or .45 and a P220 on the short list. For whenever I get around to applying for the Golden Tickets :icon_rolleyes:. I was hoping that maybe by now there would be some real movement to lose the P2Ps, but alas, this is still NJ. Prolly look to star the creaky wheels of (in)justice this fall--

Anyway, regarding the BHP, are the new ones manufactured now any different from the older (say 10-20 yrs ago) ones? Have there been any substantial changes that make an older one more desirable from a reliability/functionality POV? I would likely buy a standard model, no fancy stuff right off the bat--

TIA----Matt

I have 2, soon to be 3 bhps. 2 older Mark 2's, and 1 newer Mark 3.

I really thought I would love the new one, but ended up preferring the way the older ones fit for me. The wood grips are more comfy. The newer ones will have a rounded hammer, to prevent hammer bite. Depending on your grip, the older ones may give you the bite.

Lastly, from a simply collectibility standpoint, and if it matters, the older ones were made 100% in Belgium. The new ones are made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal.

The fit and finish on them is exceptional.

Now that I recall, the other difference with them is the sights. The newer ones have white square high viz sights, the older ones have either fixed or adjustable black sights. I shoot better with the black ones, few folks that shot both of mine, shoot the newer one better.

The Browning Hi Power has not undergone significant changes in the last 20-30 years.

TH HP has been made continuously by Fabrique National, Herstal, Belgium since 1935. In the early 80s HP assembly was moved to Portugal. As far as i know there has never been a quality issue associated with the switch.

Any HP made since the early 80s will be a Mark III, the latest version. It has remained virtually unchanged. Various model names have been assigned such as Vigilant, Sport, Capitan, Practical and Standard. There have been Mark IIIs with blued, chrome, black epoxy, and two-tone finishes and a variety of sights. Regardless, all are Mark IIIs. They feel and look the same except for finish, grips, sights and caliber.

Except for some early Mark IIIs, which had forged frames, most Mark IIIs have the stronger cast frame. The cast frame was changed to handle the hotter 40 S&W round when the 40 FN was added. The older Mark IIs, "C" and "T" series had forged frames.

Most Mark IIIs have been made in Belgium and assembled in Portugal.

HPs made in the last 20 years have the spur trigger. The ring trigger has not been used since the early 70s although after market ring triggers are available.

All of the newer HPs and the Mark III have an external extractor.

The Mark IIIs were made with fixed and adjustable. Browning adjustable sights never received high marks, however, Browning recently upgraded the adjustable sights on their newest models to sights made by LPA - a big improvement. The new fixed sights are also nice. Some of the older fixed sights are small and many change these.

The grips on the HP, with a few exceptions, have been french walnut. Some think these are boxy and thick. Regardless, there are very nice aftermarket replacement grips from VZ, Navridrex and others that are reasonably priced.

Stephen Camps's site "Hand Guns and Hi-Powers" is loaded with inforamtion on the HP. This site has recently been combined with "Hand Guns and Ammo". Mr. Camp is the recognized HP authority.

I have 3 HPs: 1968 "T" 9mm blued finish fixed sights, 2010 Mark III 9mm blued finish fixed sights, 1993 Mark III 9mm chrome finish adjustable sights.

The most common changes to HPs by owners are: mag safety removal, trigger job, grips, sights