FearThisInc

Kinda confused on legality of some rifles..

Ok.. So I am looking for a nice rifle to have some range fun with.. I was thinking of going with a .22 but wanted something a little more powerful and thought about going with a 5.56.. anyway.. i was looking around online and thought about grabbing a Sig556 however when I called a local shop they said that the one i wanted (classic) would have to be ordered and made NJ compliant which meant ditching the collapsible stock and add a suppressor... he told me i would pretty much be getting the SCM version.. The thing that makes me confused is that I have been in gun shops before and have seen guys purchasing rifles with collapsible stocks and such.. I have also looked around on this site quick and saw pics of guys that have almost identical rifles that I was looking at which has the collapsible stock, pistol grip, etc.. I am just getting more and more confused on whats legal and whats not...

I am not a huge gun guy.. i mean i own 3 handguns and just looking to start into rifles.. call it what you will but i was looking for something similar to these styles..

post-3296-0-16217200-1304967508_thumb.jpg

post-3296-0-56467100-1304967543_thumb.jpg

All the collapsible stocks you see on this site and in any NJ gun shop are actually pinned or otherwise modified and are in essence fixed stocks to comply with NJ law.

edited to add: Both of the ARs you posted can pretty easily be made NJ compliant by a competent gunsmith. In some case, there are ban compliant models that do not require modifications at all. If you have a particular model in mind, put in a price request with the dealers on this forum and see what they can do for you.

If the gun you are looking for has a pistol grip, here are some ideas of what needs to be done to the rifle before you can leave the store with it. Look for a reputable dealer in NJ that specializes in NJ legalizing firearms. Your other option is purchasing one from the factory that is already compliant.

Any collapsible or fold-able stocks have to be made permanently unable to fold or collapse (usually pinning, welding, epoxying, etc). A muzzle brake or compensator (not a flash suppressor), or thread protector has to be pinned and welded on to make it permanently attached to the barrel. Any bayonet lugs have to be shaved off.

I have a Sig 556 SCM from some years back. Knowing what I know now, I would now choose a Sig 556 SWAT version, and had a NJ dealer make the permanent modifications for me.

All the collapsible stocks you see on this site and in any NJ gun shop are actually pinned or otherwise modified and are in essence fixed stocks to comply with NJ law.

This. When they said "ditch the collapsible stock" they were referring to one of two things.....either putting a completely fixed stock on the rifle, or pinning the collapsible stock to fix it at one permanent length. Also, they would not be "adding a suppressor". They would be removing the flash suppressor, and permanently attaching either a thread cap or a muzzle brake. Follow the link I am providing, it will give you more information regarding the legality of different rifles.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24378-is-insert-any-semi-automatic-rifle-legal-in-nj/

Ok.. Basically if I want an "assault style" rifle it has to have a fixed stocked as to not have room for adjustment and barrel adjustment with thread protector or muzzle brake??

There were a few rifles I was looking at.. They include the following:

• S&W MP15 Sport
  • Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 4 Carbine
  • Sig556

I see the S&W MP15 has an option from the dealer with a fixed stock.. So if purchasing this model what would have to be done? Just the barrel adjustment?

refer to link in my signature

NJ has a listing of guns they specifically prohibit under NJ law, they additionally have laws regarding guns they consider substantially identical. The following is a generally accepted criteria by which a semi automatic rifle is legal or illegal in NJ..

1) Is the gun that you want to buy banned by name?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have..

no - proceed to question 2

Algimec AGM1 type

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"

Armalite AR-180 type

Australian Automatic Arms SAR

Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms

Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms

Bushmaster Assault Rifle

Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900

CETME G3

Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88 type

Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series

Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2, AR 100 types

Demro TAC-1 carbine type

Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types

FAMAS MAS223 types

FN-FAL, FN-LAR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms

Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 shotguns

G3SA type

Galil type

Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1

Intratec TEC 9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms

M1 carbine type

M14S type

MAC 10, MAC 11, MAC 11-9 mm carbine type firearms

PJK M-68 carbine type

Plainfield Machine Company Carbine

Ruger K-Mini-14/5 F and Mini-14/5 RF

SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG PE-57 types

SKS with detachable magazine type

Spectre Auto carbine type

Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48 type

Sterling MK-6, MK-7 and SAR types

Steyr A.U.G. semi-automatic firearms

USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun

Uzi type semi-automatic firearms

Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms

Weaver Arm Nighthawk;

2) Is the gun substantially identical as defined by law?

yes - it is illegal and you may not have

no - gun is legal and you may have..

2. Any firearm manufactured under any designation, which is substantially identical to any of the

firearms listed in paragraph 1 above. As used in this definition, the term "substantial" means

pertaining to the substance, matter, material or essence of a thing and the term "identical" means

exactly the same. Hence, a firearm is substantially identical to another only if it is identical in all

material, essential respects. A firearm is not substantially identical to a listed assault firearm unless

it is identical except for differences that do not alter the essential nature of the firearm.

The following are examples of manufacturer changes that do not alter the essential nature of the

firearm: the name or designation of the firearm; the color of the firearm; the material used to make

the barrel or stock of the firearm; the material used to make a pistol grip; and a modification of a

pistol grip. This is not an exclusive list. A semi-automatic firearm should be considered to be

"substantially identical," that is, identical in all material respects, to a named assault weapon if it

meets the below listed criteria:

i. A semi-automatic rifle that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least

two of the following:

(1) A folding or telescoping stock;

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(3) A bayonet mount;

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash

suppressor; and

(5) A grenade launcher;

gun may not have magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds...

gun must meet minimum requirements for length...

Ok.. Basically if I want an "assault style" rifle it has to have a fixed stocked as to not have room for adjustment and barrel adjustment with thread protector or muzzle brake??

There were a few rifles I was looking at.. They include the following:

• S&W MP15 Sport
  • Bushmaster Carbon 15 Model 4 Carbine
  • Sig556

I see the S&W MP15 has an option from the dealer with a fixed stock.. So if purchasing this model what would have to be done? Just the barrel adjustment?

Take a look at Stag, or Windham Weaponry. They both make NJ compliant AR's. Windhaw Weaponry was started up by the Former owners of Bushmaster. They have a really nice fit and finish plus they have a lifetime transferable warranty. As far as i know Stag's warranty is not transferable.

Take a look at Stag, or Windham Weaponry. They both make NJ compliant AR's. Windhaw Weaponry was started up by the Former owners of Bushmaster. They have a really nice fit and finish plus they have a lifetime transferable warranty. As far as i know Stag's warranty is not transferable.

this was posted in May of last year? he has probably figured it out by now..