Sign in to follow this  
Wojo

Update - Long Valley NJ Area - Hunting & Fishing Info Sought

A good friend is poised to by 25 acre property / horse farm in Clinton LONG VALLEY and I wanted to know if there are any good hunting / fishing locations near by. I checked the NJ WMA's areas and nothing special is really jumping out at me. I know I can bow hunt on his property and until I have a chance to scout it, wonder if I can shoot a shotgun / muzzle-loader on the property. If he has fields, I'm sure I can make something happen this upcoming deer season.

Pheasant, coyotes, turkeys, etc. are also fair game. The property has a decent sized chicken coop with chickens still, so I am will to be the 'yotes are aware of them as well. Could be a fun postage stamp to hunt on. From what I am told, the Patriot Path is real close so his kids can take their horses on it and a feeder tributary that feeds into the Raritan is the rear property line. BTW, this is doubling as the bug out house if things go bad as he is predicting. Then again, what does he know? He only heads up the G10 global currency exchange for one of the largest banks in the world.

Update - between a blonde and brunette it is hard to get accurate information. Long Valley. I read the property description and I hate him too much not to like him. Any who, the listing says you can hunt on the property and a trout stocked stream runs thru it...hmm, very interesting.

Please tell me if your friend finds a range out that way that doesn't require a membership. I've been dying to take my girlfriend shooting and she lives out that way.

There isn't. IIRC, one of NJ WMA's has a shotgun range where you can pattern a shotgun but that is about it. I'm sure someone in the know will chime in.

There isn't. IIRC, one of NJ WMA's has a shotgun range where you can pattern a shotgun but that is about it. I'm sure someone in the know will chime in.

The Clinton WMA area has a range for trap. It also has archery and rifle. Rifle is limited to shotgun, muzzleloading and .22. One member of group must have valid NJ hunting license.

Other than that, there's no public ranges out here that I am aware of.

the patriots path more or less runs paralell with the south branch of the raritan river. that entire area of the south branch and its feeder creeks are great trout fishing. there are a few fishing clubs and a TCA that is artifical lures only so pay attention to signs because not everything is open to the public or bait. if you would like an intro to trout fishing in the area let me know you are more than welcome to come out on the river with me.

Well, the deal fell thru. The owner of the property will not allow any soil testing and is against having a title search. Big warning signs here. All the horse manure from the stables (this is a horse breeding farm) has been brought to a spot about 3 to 5 feet from the rivers edge for years. A big no-no. Who knows what this guy may have been doing on this property for the last 50 years that he is crazed about the idea of having an environmental study conducted. Hopefully going back to Plan A and getting some property in PA.