Sign in to follow this  
NJdiverTony

Ground Blinds for Deer hunting in NJ?

Are ground blinds a viable option for huting deer on public land in NJ? My dad who is now 74 yrs old wants to get back into hunting with me, and I just don't feel comfortable with him climbing into a tree stand, even though he is in good health for his age. The last time he hunted deer was in the 60's, when he lived in Wisconsin... so it's been a while for him... and this will be my first time hunting deer, so this is all new to me. I've hunted small game for many years, but never deer.

Anyone have any advice or tips that might help me make this coming deer season a success for my old man and I? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm off topic on this next question... but, I live in Hunterdon County and I need to find some good places to hunt around the Clinton/Lebanon area... any suggestions on good public hunting land to hunt deer in this area?

Thanks, in advance!

X2 on the Clinton WMA. There is no need to use a blind, or even a stand when hunting deer in NJ. Out of all the deer that I have shot in this state, I was in a stand for only one of them. Every other time I set up on a hill overlooking a well-worn deer path, or on the edge of a field. There are tons of both @ the Clinton WMA.

X2 on the Clinton WMA. There is no need to use a blind, or even a stand when hunting deer in NJ. Out of all the deer that I have shot in this state, I was in a stand for only one of them. Every other time I set up on a hill overlooking a well-worn deer path, or on the edge of a field. There are tons of both @ the Clinton WMA.

How do you "set up"? I mean, do you hide in teh brush? Wear camo and just sit (chair? Ground?) and wait? I'm a complete noob to deer hunting, so I want to learn. My dad used to stalk them, up in Wisconsin... but I don't think that's something we can do here in NJ.

How do you "set up"? I mean, do you hide in teh brush? Wear camo and just sit (chair? Ground?) and wait? I'm a complete noob to deer hunting, so I want to learn. My dad used to stalk them, up in Wisconsin... but I don't think that's something we can do here in NJ.

To improve your chances, do some scouting in the off-season, and look for matted down trails through the trees, indicating a popular path for the deer. Also, try and find clover beds, or other grazing areas that they may be eating. Once you have a general area that you want to sit, find a place within 100yds that's uphill and downwind, and set up a chair. i like to set my chair up in front of/and against a tree, and in the shade. I never wear camo, always brush pants and a blaze orange vest.

NJ Law requires you to wear a solid orange hat, or 100sq inches of orange. Personally, having seen some of the numbnuts that are out hunting in this state, I prefer to have 100sq inches of orange from every direction, AND a solid orange hat.

To improve your chances, do some scouting in the off-season, and look for matted down trails through the trees, indicating a popular path for the deer. Also, try and find clover beds, or other grazing areas that they may be eating. Once you have a general area that you want to sit, find a place within 100yds that's uphill and downwind, and set up a chair. i like to set my chair up in front of/and against a tree, and in the shade. I never wear camo, always brush pants and a blaze orange vest.

NJ Law requires you to wear a solid orange hat, or 100sq inches of orange. Personally, having seen some of the numbnuts that are out hunting in this state, I prefer to have 100sq inches of orange from every direction, AND a solid orange hat.

Thanks, j0n! Actually I think it's 200sq inches of orange that's required. I was reading the latest Hunters Ed booklet a couple of weeks ago and that's what it said. Anyway, yeah I agree that you have to be extra cautious with all the dumbasses that could be out there hunting around you.

But if one wanted to use a blind... it is legal, right?

To my knowledge, yes. I have seen those insta-blind things that attach to a camp chair in the woods. I'm sure they help, but use care on public land.

I would imagine that some hunter orange fabric to put on the blind would be a good idea to ensure you're visible to other hunters. Good point.

I've used a 'disc' pop up blind a number of times. 4 sections on spring steel that open up to about 30" high and about 6' long. Works nice to wrap around a tree or a bush to cover your leg movements or if you need to change positions. I have since bought a 8' section of camo burlap that I ran some para-cord thru and use it a lot. Find a nice blown down tree, position your fabric blind and your are GTG. Make sure you mask your scent when on the ground. When on the ground, your scent doesn't dissipate as much as when you are high up.

I hang a spare orange hat on a tree branch above my blind for a warning. When I go in at night, I'll leave a red or orange chem light hanging above me.

FWIW - orange gloves are great addition to the hat if you don't want to go full on pumpkin. On public land, go with EXTRA orange.